The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Seriously though, you rekon legalise weed party will have legs? Seems like it has piqued the interest of a lot of people (I put them first preference) and I don't remember them being around last time.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The minor issue of franking credits has now been done to death and blown into something important when it really doesn't matter in the big picture, I have one parting thought on the topic. This will affect my in laws. They are retired and receive this refund. It will cost them their airfares for one of the overseas trips they take every year. They've been receiving this refund for over ten years. They won't be eating cereal for dinner. They won't be selling their residence to make up the shortfall. They will be just fine.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I voted early last election. There were polling places open in the city. I just turned up and voted, no questions asked.
It might have something to do with staffing the polling booths and the cost involved. Encourage people to vote on the Saturday and minimise the cost of opening extra polling places before.
Prepolling places are open so no extra cost. Here you get tge 3rd degree followed by the Spanish Inquisition before getting to vote prepoll.

John U

MTB Precision
Prepolling places are open so no extra cost. Here you get tge 3rd degree followed by the Spanish Inquisition before getting to vote prepoll.
I’m thinking if they had to open extra polling places due to bigger turnout prior to Election Day there’d be extra cost.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Techno being preferenced over Dress-Up party.

And then one day, for no reason at all, people voted Hitler into power.
That’s how it fucking starts, man. Cyalume and break beats seem harmless at first but it’s a short slope into fascism and mass FEMA graves from there. People need to wake up and get off the E and back into dope, booze and honest bogan raaawwk on radio stations with announcers called bazza, shazza and dazza.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Seriously though, you rekon legalise weed party will have legs? Seems like it has piqued the interest of a lot of people (I put them first preference) and I don't remember them being around last time.
From memory there has always been a marijuana party of some form or another, it's always down to how many seats these minor parties can contest that determines whether you'll see them on your ballot paper.

@johnny is that your official policy? It has merit. Particularly for some of my neighbours :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fuck I need a shower!!! Accosted by a line of dorks hoping I'd vote for their candidate, should have seen the green hawker's hopeful eyes light up as I arrived on bicycle. She was spared my needless "fuck your candidate" attitude on the walk through their gauntlet. Vote Labor? Fuck off mate, it hasn't worked for us here yet. Vote liberals? Only if there's a brown envelope for me too! Animal matter, vote animal justice? I eat animals mate. Vote Australian conservatives? I'd rather puke on myself...

The local (Newcastle) ballot blew me away. It's a fairly safe Labor seat, but is fielding a mostly conservative range of candidates. I was really surprised by that.

The nsw senate ballot was a nationalistic conservative minefield!!! Is this really representative of the way Australians feel?

Lucky there is a cafe next door...sadly it is really gross.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The nsw senate ballot was a nationalistic conservative minefield!!! Is this really representative of the way Australians feel?
I propose we overhaul the system and do blind voting - simple list a 500 character limit of policies only - no mention of candidates or parties. Maybe than people would actually think about policies.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I propose we overhaul the system and do blind voting - simple list a 500 character limit of policies only - no mention of candidates or parties. Maybe than people would actually think about policies.
Maybe post the map of each party from that abc voting graph as well. With helpful guide lines like "racist cracker" and "totalitarian capitalist" next to the candidates.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
The local (Newcastle) ballot blew me away. It's a fairly safe Labor seat, but is fielding a mostly conservative range of candidates. I was really surprised by that.
Lucky there is a cafe next door...sadly it is really gross.
Interesting. My local seat is safe Labour (Franklin, TAS).

House of Reps: Five candidates - three conservative
Tas Senate: 44 candidates. Four belong to what I'd consider single issue parties (HEMP, Animal Justice). Four independents so hard to determine, although my opinion is two are conservative and two are progressive (for want of a better term). So let's say 36 candidates. Out of that I'd identify 20 conservative candidates, so fairly balanced.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Reminded me of this quote.
Pffft, dude needs to brush up on randomness and probability.

Randomness/monkeys have as much likelihood of giving a 50-50 return as they do a 100-0 return.

Dude is fake news.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Looks pretty much split down the middle for me in Bean ACT, a new but considered safe Labor seat. We have two Fraser Anning, two UAP but no One Nation. That feels like a slight swing to conservatives, there were more weed/animal justice/sex candidates in the past but they seem to have dropped off.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If we take the example of somebody who has earned, only through franking credited shares, $40,000 for the year (lets assume it meets the holding rule conditions).
They will have gotten $28,000 with $12,000 in franking credit.

Now if we take this example, but add a $140,000pa salary to the mix, the projected tax for $180,000 income year should be:
I’m not accountant - is this correct?:
Scenario 1: No refund, but don’t have to pay tax either. Franking Credits reduce potential tax bill to zero. The $40k profit you made as part owner of a company is taxed at (12000-5346)/40000 = 16.6%

If franking credits all returned (As they currently are) – you have paid 0% tax on the 40k profit as part company owner

Scenario 2: Tax liability on $180k income is $57697. Tax due from the $140k is $42097 add the entire franking credit of 12000 and they have to fork out another $3600. Tax component of your company profits are (3600+12000)/40000 = 39%, which is the top marginal tax rate (for each $ between 90k and 180k), and the 2% medicare levy.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Rates/Individual-income-tax-rates/

……But, to own shares as part of a SMSF you’ve paid 15% contributions tax already. So the proposed changed is to make sure you are to be taxed when putting in and taking out for super?
I’m a part of an industry super fund with shares, property, owns the NSW elec grid etc. The only way this change makes sense to me is if owning shares is taxed much less than investing in property or other assets, and it’s to level that playing field.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, but do you like the live export industry?
Of course not, I don't even like (most) of our farming. I think we are missing a jobs boom here by ditching live exports and processing the carcasses here before send off. Sadly it's not something I see a single issue party having tangible parliamentary influence over.

Looks pretty much split down the middle for me in Bean ACT, a new but considered safe Labor seat. We have two Fraser Anning, two UAP but no One Nation. That feels like a slight swing to conservatives, there were more weed/animal justice/sex candidates in the past but they seem to have dropped off.
I think the electoral commission had a bit of a crack down on the not quite really a party options.