The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
Went to dead shit central to pre-poll today coz cannot vote Saturday, there was a queue. By the looks of the queue participants it was because they can't tell the diff between a Saturday or a Thursday, not coz they will be busy come the weekend, or ever.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
The polling booths are going to be ghost towns on Saturday, going by the rate of pre polling.

I told the pollster I can't possibly make it on Saturday because I will be out climbing all day. He didn't care.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Binaural

Eats Squid
Are you really that shallow to ask such a question?

He has died and that’s your first response.

Fucking sad person....
It's not an unreasonable question in context - this is a political discussion thread, not about people's emotional reaction to the news. For my part, I am really sad to hear of his passing, but it's still a valid question. Hawke represents the golden age of labour as a reforming party, and this will naturally direct a lot of media attention to the achievements of that era. All of that can only be helpful to Shorten as he's trying to market Labour as the party of ideas.

FWIW and in general, last minute major news like this can be really important for those on the fence in a tightly contested political campaign. FiveThirtyEight, for example, have estimated that Comey's announcement of a reopened FBI investigation in the 2016 US federal election for president probably cost Clinton the election. Meticulously reasoned article on this exact phenomenon here, for those interested.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Agree with Binaural - it can impact the election if idiots like Abbott say stupid things, which he has done.

Hawke even said a couple of month back that he was done and that he was about to head off. Pretty impressive bloke, regardless of what you think of in terms of policy.

Also agree that between Comey and the Russians, the election swung on optics rather than substance. If I recall correctly, Trump only won the electoral college by ~70k votes. That's a thin margin, hard to think that that many people didn't pull their vote for Hillary after the investigation was re-opened and that Russia's intereference didn't impact at least a few thousand votes in terms of mobilisation.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Are you really that shallow to ask such a question?

He has died and that’s your first response.

Fucking sad person....
It's quite a reasonable question that many are asking
I have to say it's nice to see you conservatives getting all shirty, rather than smug, now the boot may be on the other foot
My ultra wealthy mate is taking about divulging himself of investments already
It's about time the workers and the common people shared in the spoils for a while at least