The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I have a mate who lives in Dickson and said there were people dressed in 'AEC purple' at his local polling place handing out 'how to vote independent' cards with Dutton as the #2 choice... they appeared pretty chummy with the LNP volunteers apparently.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
You do know what that AEC notice actually is right?
It is a standard public notice advisory to give ALL voters some assistance (if they require it) so they do not blindly accept all prononcements or information provided during the election period. Its a motherhood statement.

The need for such public advisory notices dates back to the time of Snake-Oil salesmen. They would make wild claims of the effects of the oil, sell it to the local townspeople, then disappear overnight and the people had worthless bottles of oil. Politicians were similar, and still can be just as shoddy.

That notice applies to ALL parties on both sides of the political spectrum.
A note regards the ad that @Haakon posted - that is a new campaign instituted to deal with the whole 'fake news' phenomenon that essentially kicked off in Georgie 2008, Ukraine 2014 and the US in 2016, and which is being continued in the US by Russia today, being used by China in Taiwan and is being seen in dribs and drabs around our recent election. I know this because the organisation I work for is supporting the AEC's work in this area.

What was normally called propaganda has shifted to 'micro-targeting', which is a unique method for an old practice. Secondly, political actors have seen how the Trump campaign and related actors (from Reddit to Info Wars to Breitbardt, etc.) used fake news like pizzagate to undermine their opponents (and then accuse their opponents of the exact thing, which is straight out of the Soviet playbook). The AEC is keen to get ahead of that curve as early as possible to inoculate society against being lead down the garden path during elections. There are many similar efforts picking up in other democratic countries.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'd be annoyed I didn't think of it first. But in essence, (and certainly if you're colour blind) it's message isn't any different from a sign like this.

Or any how to vote card they push into your hands as you line up.

I dunno, it's a little sneaky, but I'm getting more of "I'm not even upset, I'm impressed" reaction to it.
Not true. It was very plainly an effort to deceive non-English speaking Chinese voters and was written in a style to replicate official language you see in China.

There were similar issues on WeChat in the lead up to the election, attacking both major parties. Looking like it was intended to simply discredit the system more than anything. Pretty minor in scale, from what is currently known.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
We actually produce about 1.3 % of global emissions not under 1% as Bolt states. This is pretty selfish for 0.3 percent of the worlds population.
If you add up the CO2 from all the countries producing less than 2% it adds up to over half of all emissions. Should all the countries in this range do nothing?
This is interesting and I hadn’t thought of it in this 0.3% of world pop context.

I recently spent time in regional Taiwan and frack I was shocked by the air pollution. My daughter similarly came back from China and again shock. So I’ve been thinking, frack are Australians focused on the wrong thing. Is the ‘Think Global act Local’ mantra wrong for CC.

I’ve even been thinking why should we fuck up local jobs, when the poor buggers in Mongolia are still burning coal in-house for heating and consequently killing themselves and us. Surely the dollars spent here to produce incremental changes ... would be better spent overseas to produce bigger bang for buck?

I’m sure there is a middle road ... but I was heading down the right with the better with jobs consideration ... whilst this has made me pause again. Thx

Nambra

Holy shit @Scotty T, 16.4m voters registered, only 12m (77.5%) voted, and 700k (5.5%) invalid. That's a lot of dicks and balls - possibly where the predicted swing to Labor disappeared to?!

Nambra

Just checked previous election results. 5.05% informal in 2016, 5.91% in 2013, 5.55% in 2010, so on trend it seems.

And of course they’re still counting this year’s votes, hence the 77.5% “turnout”.