The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I was just making the point that Clive employs trade and non trades and has multiple businesses. I had dealings with BS when he was the AWU majordomo so likely Clive did too. My experience was that few (none) exchanges were pleasant. I did not push any boundaries. Others did and their experiences were less wondrous. Just extrapolating. Could be wildly wrong. They may be golfing buddies. Or drinking buddies or share the same interests in origami.

Clive is on the money with his conspiracy theories. Or is it drugs? I get them mixed up. No, definately drugs.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Plenty of people out there bought all that crap this election though... More good psychology work by the LNP/Palmer coalition- repeat a lie enough times and certain amount of people start to think its true.

stirk

Burner
Final approvals are a state matter. Clive has Clive's interests first and foremost in mind. New Anna has a fine line to walk before the next election. It seems that should the govt pull the pin on Adani it risks the loss of several seats. If it doesnt then a couple of brisbane seats are at risk.

My opinion is that there should be a moratorium on all coal development whether it be green or brown (black) field.
Is this a recoil reaction to try and swing seats back to Labor in the next state election ?

Haakon

Is this a recoil reaction to try and swing seats back to Labor in the next state election ?

Probably... State labor is not all that long out from an election and will be feeling very outnumbered at this point. I still reckon they'd be nuts to approve it - but common sense has been in short supply in politics.

Flow-Rider

Burner
With all due respect, I’d say that’s a little naive. I’m not getting into tin foil hat territory to suggest a businessman would spend money on avoiding a political environment that was unfavourable.

The preference deal was made early on. I’d say it’s reasonably clear what the plan was and he just said so openly.
It's just a media blame game, no doubt it contributed but it's not solely and mostly to blame for the fierce defeat, just go over to any investment site and see the outcry of touching peoples investments.

Haakon

It's just a media blame game, no doubt it contributed but it's not solely and mostly to blame for the fierce defeat, just go over to any investment site and see the outcry of touching peoples investments.
Not saying it is. As you say, plenty of personal greed came in to it as well. The fact that the LNP managed to characterise is as taking money instead of withholding handouts was splendid work by them... Killing off franking credits should be an LNP policy - arent they meant to be all about making your own way in life?

But most of the reasons I've seen for not voting labor have been "whats mine is mine and that includes the middle class welfare" and "he looks funny" and "dont want my car taxed". It paints a poor picture of the country's ability to think as a society, and its ability to think (or at least critically think)...

We sure as hell wont see anyone taking to an election the idea of everyone giving up a bit personally for the greater good ever again...

Last edited:

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I really think it's more likely Clive was played by the Liberals rather than colluding but most likely it was just shit happens. I don't think Clive thinks deep enough to conspire.

Haakon

I really think it's more likely Clive was played by the Liberals rather than colluding but most likely it was just shit happens. I don't think Clive thinks deep enough to conspire.
He thinks just fine. And I wouldn't call it conspiracy, it was just a business deal - a pretty obvious one really, I didn't think it was a secret!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Dude, Clive is part of the Liberal establishment, was on their payroll for many years and was part of their strategy team.

You don’t think that one of the country’s richest men is a deep thinker?!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
He thinks just fine. And I wouldn't call it conspiracy, it was just a business deal - a pretty obvious one really, I didn't think it was a secret!
Show the evidence!

Anna wanted the Feds to can the mine so she could say it wasn't her govt. The feds, despite what the media will have you believe, have a process and they followed it. The discretionary part is up to the state. Approve it or not Anna has problems. I would like it canned because it impa ts on family. I would like no more mines developed because they arent needed. I doubt the trillions of jobs will occur out of these mines. However, like the power stations in the latrine valley something has to be done to ensure those working in those areas can transition to meaningful employment. Unlikely that such employment will earn them the current $. That is another issue.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Dude, Clive is part of the Liberal establishment, was on their payroll for many years and was part of their strategy team.

Clive wanted a safe seat here and a road to leader with the lnp. That was denied him and he took his bat and ball and skulked away. Look at his changed stance on the Chinese. I was at a lunch where he was guest speaker. It was an hour of how wonderful the Chinese are and how fabulous his childhood was. Then Rupert's wife was a spy for the triad and on and on. They refused his claims, they wanted tbeir money back, they own the universe. Some of that was targeted against whoever he could. Clive would do much better if he honoured his agreement to pick up the taab for QNI worker's entitlements as I understand was in the purchase deal for the place. Address his outstanding writs. Then maybe people will take him a little more seriosuly.

Haakon

Show the evidence!

Anna wanted the Feds to can the mine so she could say it wasn't her govt. The feds, despite what the media will have you believe, have a process and they followed it. The discretionary part is up to the state. Approve it or not Anna has problems. I would like it canned because it impa ts on family. I would like no more mines developed because they arent needed. I doubt the trillions of jobs will occur out of these mines. However, like the power stations in the latrine valley something has to be done to ensure those working in those areas can transition to meaningful employment. Unlikely that such employment will earn them the current $. That is another issue.
Clive just told us what he was doing. He is in the business of digging up coal, he made a preference deal with the LNP who have policies that would in his assessment be better for that. Thats a business deal isnt it?

Haakon

I worked (very peripherally) on employment transition strategies for the Latrobe Valley following exits of existing energy industries over 10 years ago... No one could get it across the line and politicians kept baulking. Its not a new idea and wasn't I thought too much like communism...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Clive just told us what he was doing. He is in the business of digging up coal, he made a preference deal with the LNP who have policies that would in his assessment be better for that. Thats a business deal isnt it?
Ah so it is no different, or even less likely than the payback for unions with a labor govt. Fair enough.

link1896

Mr Greenfield

This. It’s a unique blend of Machiavellianism, narcissism and balls bigger then Shaq’s coupled with above average IQ.