The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Haakon

Keeps on digging
decentralising doesnt really fix that, and im as big a canberra hater as the next guy. It just costs a shit tonne for worse services.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt

scblack

Leucocholic

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
decentralising doesnt really fix that, and im as big a canberra hater as the next guy. It just costs a shit tonne for worse services.
It breaks it up though. Canberra doesn't grow with premium candidates at the same rate that public service grows, resulting in having to settle for candidates available in Canberra only. Geography shouldn't be the topmost factor.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It breaks it up though. Canberra doesn't grow with premium candidates at the same rate that public service grows, resulting in having to settle for candidates available in Canberra only. Geography shouldn't be the topmost factor.
Cream rises to the top. NT baby!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Annoyingly I totally agree. The problem is I think when you keep any of it in Canberra.

Canberra was a dumb idea. It’s a shit town in the middle of fucking nowhere and self selects for people who can’t get a job anywhere else or are dumb enough to suck it up because they “want to make a difference”. Or just live here because its where they’re from and it may as well be Wagga or Geelong...

But. It’s a bit late now and this is where the government is. Move the whole fucking thing to Melbourne and be done with it. And access the better peeps and generally have a much much much better public service. But pork barrel regional shitholes even worse than fucking Canberra and you just spend more for less.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I think the environment matters too. Canberra is architecturally abhorrent and has no soul or history. It’s hard to take it seriously as a national capital and it effects the atmosphere in which the people who “run” the country operate.

Being in Melbourne shouldn’t really make it better and the Canberra bubble shouldn’t be a thing - but it would and it is...

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Yup, was just pointing out the fact they couldn't decide where to put it 190?, so there's even less chance of coming to an agreement now...

unless it's Wellington.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yup, was just pointing out the fact they couldn't decide where to put it 190?, so there's even less chance of coming to an agreement now...

unless it's Wellington.
I'm not convinced Canberra was more about some politicians have some sheep farms they wanted to sell at top dollar...

Its sure as hell not halfway between Melb-Sydney (as I'm reminded every time I spend an hour driving north to Yass and then head south again for the next 7 hours...) and is very much regional centre attached to Sydney. Very few Melbourne peeps here relative to the hoards that escape Sydney.

Wellington would be lovely. Yes please.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I guess we could move the capital to Wagga. That is pretty much exactly the same drive each way, and they have a beach!* Wagga has some charm as well, relative to Canberra at least.

*sort of.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I guess we could move the capital to Wagga. That is pretty much exactly the same drive each way, and they have a beach!* Wagga has some charm as well, relative to Canberra at least.

*sort of.
Nah, same problem - regional centre no one wants to live in.