The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Its kinda good to have industries, universities and government all in the one spot - especially when you work with all of them. Canberra is good in that regard.

I also like how Canberra is rapidly changing, feels like a small city but has a bit going on (compared to 5-10 years ago). I do get the APS hate though - they can frustrate the hell out of me and have a lot of shit people to navigate through... But Canberra is way more than public servants now.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If I had a ride in a GT2RS I would also need something heavy and concealing to appear in public.
I wore brown trousers.

Wasnt me

@hifiandmtb no, I gave up after his Irish Backpacker story

Some things I disagreed with:

Stating that house prices should be loaded into the CPI. A ridiculous statement, everybody's situation is different, not everyone buys a dwelling, the housing market is not homogeneous, cost of funds vary, amounts borrowed vary. How can you make and implement a policy decision on a metric that affects everyone when you throw this into the mix.

The RBA cut interest rates for the sole purpose of driving up property prices. Is he suggesting that Philip Lowe has manipulated interest rate policy to feather his own nest ? Coz that's kinda the next question, well either that or how did Simple Jack come to run the RBA.

My uneducated opine is that the rate cut won't do much for housing prices. If I can use a similar sampling process as the bloke in the video, thems with mortgages will use the extra dollars to pay down debt, those without mortgages eat bags of dicks, retirees on fixed incomes get an even smaller bag of dicks to eat, and my kids will focus on experiences and live for the now, moving around the world as and when they can.

A rate cut will impact affordability (if it gets passed on) but saying that the RBA cut rates with the sole purpose of fuelling a housing bubble ( love the emotion in these phrases, great to see an economist stay rational) indicates to me a strong bias or perhaps a conspiracy theorist.

But I didn't watch the whole thing, he was pissing me off, not by what he said but the way he was saying it, and I've got GMBN videos on learning to gap jump that I should be watching.

Edit: I do agree that right now sniping the cash rate right now ain't gonna grow the economy.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm not convinced Canberra was more about some politicians have some sheep farms they wanted to sell at top dollar...

Its sure as hell not halfway between Melb-Sydney (as I'm reminded every time I spend an hour driving north to Yass and then head south again for the next 7 hours...) and is very much regional centre attached to Sydney. Very few Melbourne peeps here relative to the hoards that escape Sydney.

Wellington would be lovely. Yes please.
I believe that there were some strategic decisions made regards placement - away from the coast and behind a steep ridgeline, extended lines of supply, etc. All based around early 1900s capanilities, though.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I believe that there were some strategic decisions made regards placement - away from the coast and behind a steep ridgeline, extended lines of supply, etc. All based around early 1900s capanilities, though.
Yep, my understanding is thats why Eden was dropped as the location.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
SJP - are you saying that paying your mortgage should not be part of the CPI equation? CPI covers things that not all peeps use.

I don’t buy your arguments. I watched the entire video & it resonated with me. I find it hard to disagree with the content. And stop with the “conspiracy!” stuff. Decisions are made all the time, linked to someone’s interests. If thats dismissed based on “conspiracy” then that’s idiotic.

And yes, the RBA stinks. They do not have the populace best interests at heart. Never will.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
SJP - are you saying that paying your mortgage should not be part of the CPI equation? CPI covers things that not all peeps use.

I don’t buy your arguments. I watched the entire video & it resonated with me. I find it hard to disagree with the content. And stop with the “conspiracy!” stuff. Decisions are made all the time, linked to someone’s interests. If thats dismissed based on “conspiracy” then that’s idiotic.

And yes, the RBA stinks. They do not have the populace best interests at heart. Never will.
Ever met an RBA employee?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I know one. I was very surprised when she said she got a job there.
She's not smart and conscientious?

The RBA don't have a perfect record but it has been very very good. Most of the people there I have met have been at the pointy end of the talent pool and they take what they do very seriously.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk