The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I think thats the major frustration with the regional folk, they want to be catered for and don't want to face the same form of existential struggles that the city dwellers do.
You've lost your job and are about to lose your house? Tough luck.
You farm in a drought stricken area, heres $1m for water concessions.

The people are divided because they're fighting for the crumbs.

A party needs to come out that makes the promise to execute the rich in the streets.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
A party needs to come out that makes the promise to execute the rich in the streets.
I don't object to the sentiment, but it won't actually solve anything in terms of resource availability.

There's too many people, so we're going to come up short somewhere.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I think thats the major frustration with the regional folk, they want to be catered for and don't want to face the same form of existential struggles that the city dwellers do.
I don't think you're wrong but I think it might be even more internet than that. Just like the punters on Facebook or even Rotorburners on Tapatalk... they'd like to be acknowledged or, better still, feel like they are being heard. And they don't often feel that that is happening any more...so Barnaby's become an option. Because that seems to piss off city folk...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I don't think you're wrong but I think it might be even more internet than that. Just like the punters on Facebook or even Rotorburners on Tapatalk... they'd like to be acknowledged or, better still, feel like they are being heard. And they don't often feel that that is happening any more...so Barnaby's become an option. Because that seems to piss off city folk...
Leave me the fuck alone.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Oh no doubt...but imagine if no-one lived out here. And there was no agriculture or mining? That's not an inconsequential amount of GDP...and it can't happen if we aren't supported to be out here.

The thing that annoys in terms of service equity is that it wasn't always this way. My little town of 3000 plus people has rarely been larger and never smaller.

There are numerous people my age and younger still in town who were born in its hospital... nowadays, expecting mothers have to be driven two hours to give birth in Tamworth or Dubbo. I spoke to an older lady who'd had a double mastectomy in our hospital in the 80s...theatre is now closed and she'd be flown to Sydney for that sort of procedure. If you decently injure yourself out here or require any constant medical supervision...you are evacuated by rescue helicopter to Tamworth or Newcastle or perhaps even Dubbo...how is this cheaper and more equitable to everyone in the system than continuing to to supply services to the community in the community?

And if the Nationals are the only ones out here bleating about how they stick up for their constituents (no matter how successfully or otherwise) then is it any wonder that people vote for them despite their character & professional limitations?
The economic argument isn't a great one. Last time I checked agriculture made up 3% of gdp and we export 3/4 of our produce overseas. Ironically most of the stuff grown for domestic consumption is closer to the major population centres.

Most new mining sites are self contained fifo these days. Mining makes up 6-8% of gdp.

I know the whole travelling for procedures is a pain in the ass but medicine is a numbers game. The more deliveries/procedures a hospital sees, the lower the complications risk.

The other side of the coin is trying to manage ever growing health costs. The current trajectory is over 6% growth a year. Believe it or not its cheaper to transport patients then to keep an operating theatre going. So saving money on high risk regional base hospitals looks like a win-win to govts.

The modern Nats are a far cry from the Nats of yesteryear. I used to work for the Farmers Association a long time ago so knew some old school Nats mps and advisers. Most of them wouldn't piss on Barnaby if he was on fire.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

silentbutdeadly

The economic argument isn't a great one. Last time I checked agriculture made up 3% of gdp and we export 3/4 of our produce overseas. Ironically most of the stuff grown for domestic consumption is closer to the major population centres.

Most new mining sites are self contained fifo these days. Mining makes up 6-8% of gdp.

I know the whole travelling for procedures is a pain in the ass but medicine is a numbers game. The more deliveries/procedures a hospital sees, the lower the complications risk.

The other side of the coin is trying to manage ever growing health costs. The current trajectory is over 6% growth a year. Believe it or not its cheaper to transport patients then to keep an operating theatre going. So saving money on high risk regional base hospitals looks like a win-win to govts.

The modern Nats are a far cry from the Nats of yesteryear. I used to work for the Farmers Association a long time ago so knew some old school Nats mps and advisers. Most of them wouldn't piss on Barnaby if he was on fire.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
No worries then...ban the Bush from participating in modern Australian society.

I'll still waste my urine on Barnaby. He deserves it.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Can't they just riot like the other people that are unheard? oh wait, its because its not true.
They don't want to feel like they're being "left behind" whilst choosing to live in seperation from the cities. They want the technological advancements but without brushing up against or having to compete with the rest of society.
They receive it though, but thats not even my point, I don't have one. I just hate appeals to an argarian society.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Can't they just riot like the other people that are unheard? oh wait, its because its not true.
They don't want to feel like they're being "left behind" whilst choosing to live in seperation from the cities. They want the technological advancements but without brushing up against or having to compete with the rest of society.
They receive it though, but thats not even my point, I don't have one. I just hate appeals to an argarian society.
I think a lot of regional people don't necessarily expect the latest technological advancement (based on my experience at least) and accept that this is something you have to live with as part of living in the country. What regional people do get pissed off with is things like services that we once had, that we no longer have. Medical care is the big one as has already been mentioned, but there are various government services that have been scaled back in regional areas over the years. Not saying this is right or wrong, and there are probably good economic reasons why these services have been scaled back, but not everything comes down to economics.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Without going into the advantages and disadvantages of regional life I know a few people out west who are in Katter's electorate. They are smart tough people whose company I enjoy. They have no interest in voting for anyone but the succession of Bobs. They don't go into detail because they don't have much interest in politics but Bob, his father and likely son says what they want to hear in a way they understand and there is trust there that cannot be shaken. Mostly Bob cannot effect any change or support these days but they are unwavering in their support.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Without going into the advantages and disadvantages of regional life I know a few people out west who are in Katter's electorate. They are smart tough people whose company I enjoy. They have no interest in voting for anyone but the succession of Bobs. They don't go into detail because they don't have much interest in politics but Bob, his father and likely son says what they want to hear in a way they understand and there is trust there that cannot be shaken. Mostly Bob cannot effect any change or support these days but they are unwavering in their support.
“quiet Australians”... We are so screwed.

silentbutdeadly

Ohhhh I'm not appealing for an agrarian society....HELL No!

I'm simply trying to point out why country people vote for the National Party.

And whilst I currently speak for my town of 3100 souls...two years ago, I lived near a regional city of 35,000 with a district population of 60,000 people...and it faced exactly the same issues. And guess what? Safest Federal National Party seat in the country... previous bloke got tossed cause of some spectacular indiscretions of a personal nature whilst at the same time shifting on marriage equality. Nationals put up someone else...voted in with increased majority...

Whinge, bitch and moan about the Nationals all you like but the punters out here still vote for them and one of them is your Deputy Prime Minister...so what are you going to do about it?