The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ohhhh I'm not appealing for an agrarian society....HELL No!

I'm simply trying to point out why country people vote for the National Party.

And whilst I currently speak for my town of 3100 souls...two years ago, I lived near a regional city of 35,000 with a district population of 60,000 people...and it faced exactly the same issues. And guess what? Safest Federal National Party seat in the country... previous bloke got tossed cause of some spectacular indiscretions of a personal nature whilst at the same time shifting on marriage equality. Nationals put up someone else...voted in with increased majority...

Whinge, bitch and moan about the Nationals all you like but the punters out here still vote for them and one of them is your Deputy Prime Minister...so what are you going to do about it?
There is a local independent up in the mallee trying his best to balance regional issues with those of wider Australia/global ie climate change. He got a decent chunk of the vote for a first timer.
Not sure why being a rusted on National voter is seen as any less worthy than the same Lib/lab voter. Sawp the voters all around and change their unbringing and you would problem get the same result.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Not sure why being a rusted on National voter is seen as any less worthy than the same Lib/lab voter. Sawp the voters all around and change their unbringing and you would problem get the same result.
Because the nats have let the hillbillies take over.

Traditionally the nats had the more sensible members from NSW and Vic to rein in the hillbillies from Qld and WA. But thats been turned on its head with the merger of the LNP in Qld and the dominance of the Nats in regional WA.

To be honest they are probably living on borrowed time. Their vote has been falling for 50 years and they have been a nuisance to the last three Liberal PMs. I wouldn't be surprised to see a future Liberal leader dissolve the coalition and run candidates in every seat.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
There is a local independent up in the mallee trying his best to balance regional issues with those of wider Australia/global ie climate change. He got a decent chunk of the vote for a first timer.
Ali Cupper is the independent of which I think you speak. And she's very good but she represents Mildura in the State Government...and Mildura city dominates the vote in that seat. The much bigger Federal seat of Mallee includes other regional centres and no other species of politician apart from a National has a chance...

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ali Cupper is the independent of which I think you speak. And she's very good but she represents Mildura in the State Government...and Mildura city dominates the vote in that seat. The much bigger Federal seat of Mallee includes other regional centres and no other species of politician apart from a National has a chance...
No not Ali, her colleague at council Jake Modica.. It does show though there is an appetite outside of the nats/libs in Mildura at least..

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Because the nats have let the hillbillies take over.

Traditionally the nats had the more sensible members from NSW and Vic to rein in the hillbillies from Qld and WA. But thats been turned on its head with the merger of the LNP in Qld and the dominance of the Nats in regional WA.

To be honest they are probably living on borrowed time. Their vote has been falling for 50 years and they have been a nuisance to the last three Liberal PMs. I wouldn't be surprised to see a future Liberal leader dissolve the coalition and run candidates in every seat.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I’m talking about rusted on voters, Nationals are run hillbillies atm as you say but weren’t previously.. The rusted on doesn’t give two fugs.. They just vote national everytime because no matter how shit they are it will still be better than those city parties. Independents and shitters fishers etc are the nats real concern. Regional people want feel like they are represented and their voices heard.. I grew up in the mallee and know all about national voters for life..

And i have to say I hate the rusted on labor voters as much, they can’t ever possibly see that their perfered party does shit things. They will never admit labor does anything wrong, ever.. I know of one paid up labor for life voter unionist who was gay but still defended labor when they were against gay marriage.. Because the labor party could do wrong.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Anyone who blindly votes for one party irrespective of which party is a waste of oxygen. Each election is different, review the policies and issues and vote for whoever you thinks best deals with those. Anyone who is old enough to vote in several elections who has never voted for more than one party or abstained is a drone.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It’s estimated that only 40% all voters are swing voters.. What does that say about the majority of Australians?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It’s estimated that only 40% all voters are swing voters.. What does that say about the majority of Australians?
That most people don’t change their value set, and the major parties are clear and consistent about their values. Hence alignments dont change much...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
My almost 21 year old son said two things to me about the state of the world tonight. "People are greedy" and "people aren't self aware".

He's finding his feet after a not ideal time and ultimately failure at school. But that, right there, is more than any academic achievement. That's where you start to make the world better. I would never have had the understanding at 21 he's just spat out as a matter of course when the subject was raised. Proud dad. Done alright for the future.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Aye.

This just popped into my feed tonight - worth watching:

Friendly Jordies is my unofficial son and my real son loves him. The future is brighter than all of your and my digs at the past and the present. I made only one kid based quite a bit on the impact of a second one. He's gonna help turn this around.

Not to sound like a dick, but old buggers like me, where all of your kids at? What is on their radar? We can all blow on about politics but the kids are the future.

That Rudd interview has been playing in the background. It makes me very sad.