The electronic music argument thread... bring it on

Rik

logged out
I've created this thread to battle it out once and for all, to dispel some uneducated myths and make people think deeper about their opinions of music.

To start with, here's a few pulled from another thread
it is music to some extent, but doesn't really require much skill to make
some people think techno aint real music, which it isn't really
And there's always the "you just click buttons on a computer", "you only sample other peoples music" etc etc.

Tell me, what don't you like about electronic-based music compared to the standard "rock" formula of guitars/drums/vocals, and hopefully some decent discussion can come from it.
I'll wait for a few posts before replying, just to let things develop a bit. This thread will no doubt get a bit heated but no outright abuse please, I'd like to see it be productive for a while at least.
Anyone wanna help me out? Ajay I'm looking at you ;)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I made a few songs years ago using a track called Cakewalk. I think it would be easier to learn how to play the guitar or piano rather than do it on techo instruments!

It's nowhere as easy as you would think!

sheepy

Likes Dirt
well as a music lover, i'm quite partial to a bit of techno, personally I only like the faster sort of songs, i.e not the ones that go for several hours:rolleyes:

i'm very mainstream in my techno tastes aswell, i like a bit of the prodigy, pendulum, crystal method

oh and of course Electro by Kraftwerk Orange ;)

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
DJs Shadow, Krush and R2D2 (for example) are musicians more so than 99% of rock singers/bands. Not cause their genre is better, they're just good at what they do. Same as the best rock musicians, country musicians, classical musicians etc.

Great musicians transcend genre. Bad electronica artists suck just as bad as anyone else though.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
its easy to get into FLstudio and chuck in some different instruments, get a loop going, piece a few together in what ever program you prefer and make an electronic style song... but there is a large chance it will sound like crap.

Even easier to go in to Vdj, and pretend you are making music by using the studder command, or scrathing every 5 seconds.

easy to do, hard to be good at... like riding a bike really.

tu plang

knob
It's really just a wanky opinion held by those people who lived their life through their garage rock band that was never going to make it.

I like most kinds of music and rock would definitely be my top favourite along side electronic music. As in both genres you get those who just milk the basics of it to death, but then you get those who are always performing innovative music that just seems to have so many elements put together into something clean and musical. Tool fit this bill for me in terms of rock and Underworld get the electronic award.

On the matter of bands milking simple shit and calling it music. Has anyone ever seen Operator Please perform? I saw them at BDO before they hit commercial success and was just amazed they got that far. It reminded me of a primary school orchestra. Instead of having 1-2 people scurrying around like maniacs in the percussion section you had one kid on the triangle, one on the bass drum, another on the cymbal and if you had some really talented kids you might even have a snair and a xylophone.

They had a girl on the keyboard jumping around playing with one finger on each hand, 'chopsticks' requires more skill than that. The violin was novel until you realise she was just alternating between 2-3 notes. I digress. In closing, Rock is awesome, electronic is just as awesome in its own way (different never the less), operator please are crap.

And for the first time since i dont know when, sawtell has posted something that is not only correct, but worth reading.

Last edited:

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
electronic music, especially along the lines of midnight juggernauts, so so modern, daft punk etc etc is the bomb. it just loses sooo much through an album!

also im digging stuff likt eht prodigy at the moment as well alongside alot of aussie hiphop such as urthboy and the hoodies

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
some people think techno aint real music, which it isn't really
(Quoted from your initial post, which was taken from the other thread)

Music –noun: an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color

Even in the arguments of instruments, why can't the tools that these artists use be classified as instruments?

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
It makes my ears bleed.

Two reasons:

1. Direct Comparison and Ability to Write a Song that actually 'goes' somewhere.
I understand that being able to DJ takes a fair amount of skill. The reason I hate techno music is that it is boring, monotonous and gives me a headache. When you've been listening to music, for a long time, which is thought provoking, has meaningful lyrics and utilises more 'natural' instruments/sounds (such as Talking Heads, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, etc). It really makes techno sound like a whole lot of fuzziness with a droning nauseating beat, terrible remixes and the flogging to death of bass lines, drums or riffs that were actually were good in moderation. So by direct comparison, it really just sounds terrible.

2. Feelings the Music Gives You
The other reason is that I love rock, and it has more of a natural, open feeling about it. You just picture driving on a long road, free, with the window down, wind in your face, sort of stuff. I could do that to Powderfinger any day.
When I hear Techno, I immediately think of stuffy clubs where everyone is just 'dancing' (if you can call it that) for no reason in particular and when I look at those sort of people I think wow their whole night life is controlled by a shitty doof-doof beat that goes on for way too long and occasionally has some synthesizer mixed into it.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I don't know what it is about techno, but it just has me by the balls. Along with most other genre's. I go through stages of liking certain music, and have loved and hated rock, pop, classical, etc, but now i'm onto techno.

Although no, i couldn't tell you why.

Booka Shade is by far my favourite group at the moment. Crazy German electrohouse. I love it.

And, for once, i agree with what both tu plang and sawtell said. Their comments are just, truthful, and ever so pertinent.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
I bought an MPC trigger pad, got some software, usb/midi audio interface and a keyboard. For the life of me i can't even get the fucker to work together, let alone have time to gather samples or compile a simple 4 bar drum loop.

Much easier to whip out my bass, much respect to electronic musicians :cool:

tu plang

knob
Just to throw a leopard in with the pigeons (its your turn to find a picture now H-foundation), i put it to you (everyone) that half the rock being released commercially these days is twice as formulated and just as computer generated as electronic music.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Just watching the Audreys live on ABC2 at the moment and for the next half hour both Rock and Electronica are losing. Roots/alt country all the way!!