The EWS and UCI form a partnership

Z

Zaf

Chris Ball has got this! Have faith it'll be same as it always was, but now the winners wear rainbows and have to pee in more cups.

scblack

Leucocholic
I just hope for more coverage of the EWS. The tracks are MUCH more interesting than current DH tracks, at least for World Cups.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
The EWS is on Pinkbike isn't it? Are you on a paid subscription or something as I'm struggling to find most of the races?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
The EWS is on Pinkbike isn't it? Are you on a paid subscription or something as I'm struggling to find most of the races?
Nothing live from what I've found. Just highlight packages on Pinkbike and EWS YouTube channel.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I was going to chase EWS points next year for 40+ (too young this year) mainly for interest sake given the low cost of membership. If it now means I need a UCI licence in addition to MTBA I won't bother.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will be interesting to see how that plays out with the amateur racers, I am guessing a decline in overall numbers as UCI licences are far from cheap from memory?
(I haven't read the article)

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I was going to chase EWS points next year for 40+ (too young this year) mainly for interest sake given the low cost of membership. If it now means I need a UCI licence in addition to MTBA I won't bother.
You still needed to register under the EWS in order to accrue points, can't remember what the fee was though, this is of course on to of your MTBA licence or equivalent for OS qualifiers.

EDIT: The princely sum of £32 it would seem http://www.enduroworldseries.com/emba-membership/

John U

MTB Precision
Until cycling Australia recognise the efforts/skill/legend of Sam Hill the UCI can resign themselves to the pile of shit that is cheating in sport.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ha, classic, UCI wanted nothing to do with it, now that it's like super successful and shit they want a piece of the pie. If it means they broadcast it then ok I'm for it, otherwise no joy. Hopefully they don't bring their shit and corruption into it.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Until cycling Australia recognise the efforts/skill/legend of Sam Hill the UCI can resign themselves to the pile of shit that is cheating in sport.
As it is now a UCI recognised discipline CA will be able to recognise the achievements of the Australians killing it on the world stage.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Couple of points here.

It has been Chris Ball and his team at the EWS pushing for this for some time now, not the UCI seeing a lucrative new market and trying to step in. Two of the main reasons have been outlined in the PB interview. Anti doping. In order to have any real teeth any antidoping policy needs the backing of the International Federation. Due to the nature of the sport, Enduro would be a pretty good target for those looking for a bit extra to get to the top and we need to ensure that it stays clean.

The other main reason is transparency in the enforcement of the rules. Under the current model any penalties that are handed down are determined by the race director and Chis. This creates an issue when there are commercial arrangements in place with the industry and personal friendships with riders that could be perceived to cloud the desicion making process. By bringing in professionally trained commisaires (not someone who has done a few local XC races) this element can be cleaned up.

With regards to broadcast you need to remember that Enduro is more like WRC than F1. How often do you see an entire WRC event. It is nearly impossible to cover that much terrain in any sort of live setting. I think that the current model of having a 15 minute highlights package within 48 hours of the event is a good way to stay in touch (along with the various live update blogs etc). Last year there was also a 30 minute wrap up on ESPN, unfortunatly this did not air until November or December which could be improved.

For licencing. As it currently stands, to race in Derby next year you will not need any form of licencing however we are just working through this at the moment. If you were looking to race overseas you would need a CA international licence. The cost of this varies based on how long you need it for, from memory it is about $400 for a month. By all reports it is very good coverage when racing overseas where medical bills could very quickly get out of hand.

John U

MTB Precision
As it is now a UCI recognised discipline CA will be able to recognise the achievements of the Australians killing it on the world stage.
I was more referring to the complete lack of CA recognition of Sams downhill efforts.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I was more referring to the complete lack of CA recognition of Sams downhill efforts.
For him to not be awarded Australian cyclist of the year (hell, even Australian of the year) just shows the system and the criteria means fuck all. He matters to his fans and the guys paying & supporting him to put on an amazing show.
There were some amazing feats accomplished in mountain biking last year but he did the most I recon, he beat the world so graciously.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
In the defence of CA and MTBA (and fuck knows why I am trying to do that). Under last years model it would be akin to the AFL awarding an NRL player for a great season. Both football but they have no real relationship. The EWS was not sanctioned or recognised by CA or MTBA so not on their radar. The same thing happened when Graves won the EWS series. Doesn't make it right, but thats their system.

I would hope that under this new model that would not happen again, and a great effort in EWS will be judged against someone who had a great year in the world cup.

And yes, I agree that Sam was the standout cyclist of last year.