The Fear...

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Yeah absolutely. gonna hit up Lysterfield for a lap tomorrow, nice easy trail. Hopefully the old brain gets on a roll & some confidence comes back. :decision:

There's some really good small gaps and tables to practice on at Lysty - on Follow Me and Aneurysm. Also the skills area, which has all kinds of jumps.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'm normally pretty solitary when it comes to mtb. Something about getting away from everything with just you and the bike. Besides, most of my mates are still living the rock n roll lifestyle so I've kinda forged my own path with riding based on skills vids, books and lots of practice.

Having said that, Kensington jumps and Park Orchards BMX track aren't all that far from me. Perhaps I do need to hit up some tables ad nauseum until it becomes second nature.

Knowing it's all in your head doesn't make it any easier! Stupid brain! :doh:

This is the offending gap... pic taken the time I cleared it about a dozen times a while back!

View attachment 333145
Excuse my ignorance, but where is this? I thought I'd ridden most places in and around Melbourne, but I've not been there. Are there a few jumps on the same track? What sort of sizes?

stewyh

Likes Dirt
Excuse my ignorance, but where is this? I thought I'd ridden most places in and around Melbourne, but I've not been there. Are there a few jumps on the same track? What sort of sizes?
Plenty Gorge. Southwest side. Couple of dh runs in that area with some little doubles, berms & drops. ANd at the bottom a couple of big gaps and a big step up. RUns are called "Carla's kitchen and "quarry dh run. http://http://www.trailforks.com/trails/carla-s-kitchen/
Near kariboo grove car park. Despite being in suburbia you don't see many other riders in that part of the place.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Plenty Gorge. Southwest side. Couple of dh runs in that area with some little doubles, berms & drops. ANd at the bottom a couple of big gaps and a big step up. RUns are called "Carla's kitchen and "quarry dh run. http://http://www.trailforks.com/trails/carla-s-kitchen/
Near kariboo grove car park. Despite being in suburbia you don't see many other riders in that part of the place.
Cheers, might check it out sometime. Have ridden there once, but didn't find those particular tracks.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I'm normally pretty solitary when it comes to mtb. Something about getting away from everything with just you and the bike. Besides, most of my mates are still living the rock n roll lifestyle so I've kinda forged my own path with riding based on skills vids, books and lots of practice.

Having said that, Kensington jumps and Park Orchards BMX track aren't all that far from me. Perhaps I do need to hit up some tables ad nauseum until it becomes second nature.

Knowing it's all in your head doesn't make it any easier! Stupid brain! :doh:

This is the offending gap... pic taken the time I cleared it about a dozen times a while back!

View attachment 333145
Plenty Gorge? In the quarry?

stewyh

Likes Dirt
Plenty Gorge? In the quarry?
Yep, that's where that pic was taken.

I went to Lysterfield today and even though half the trails were closed due to storm damage I still had a good time. The skills course was quiet and I spent an hour or so just riding the jumps with good results. Funny, Something about being on the 29er honzo gave me more confidence. Bit more forgiving when I came up short I guess & the knowledge that those big wheels can steamroll just about anything.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I`m OK now , even have the right bikes for the job , but I now have a big phobia of gap jumps .
Well I finally hit one ! I was shitting myself but its one that I told myself I`d try every time I rode that trail . My riding buddy had his new sworks enduro and said he wanted to have a go which meant that if he did I would have to have a crack as well . There is a corner before the entry and I kinda washed the front a bit lost some speed and thought fuck it , go for it . I was so nervous so my technique was not the best , but I did it !

Attachments

abaser666

Likes Bikes
For me it's just practice, the commitment. (I'm 39) I find a table top and do it. And do it and do it and do it some more. Just the same jump over aga until it's boring. Then I do it some more. Drill it until you are not only confident but looking for ways to make it hard (stick the tail out, grab the rear, flatten out the bar, combination of the above). Then you go to the demon jump and just FEEL the bike, relax and react.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
all good advice build up to the jump then do it over and over
If you don't feel good do it another day
.Also if you can build your own easier jump less gap nice run in good down ramp good for building confidence.
You guys are young don't give up.

stewyh

Likes Dirt
Had a couple of sessions at Park Orchards bmx track since op. Tried going back to basics 3/4 pace and manualling the jumps & rollers rather than trying to jump over them. Found that dropping my heels and shifting back from normal attack position helped. Also letting the launcher determine the bike's angle and simply maintaining that shape until the lander.

However I did screw up and slam the front wheel into the base of a jump... straight otb. No real harm done. Couple o scrapes and a bit wiser haha.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I get the Fear every time I size up a new drop (over 1m)
There's a decent drop at my local that I have avoided every time. The drop itself isn't the problem, it's the narrow lead in and a secondary rocky section immediately after the landing followed by a fast right hander that phases me out.
a few weeks back we were pushing up and I took a real long look at it. I followed another rider in to dial speed on the lead in but stopped at the top. then pushed back up for my turn. normally I'll still stop a few times if something feels off, but this time I just went with it..... should have gone faster!

https://vimeo.com/193287733

I don't think The Fear is a bad thing but it can definitely be debilitating and difficult to overcome. Even stuff you may have done plenty of times before can buckle you if something just doesn't feel right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ers

Likes Dirt
This is all v relevant for me as a complete newbie on a shit bike. Every single ride I have scares the shit out of me. But the beauty of being old (44) is that I trust myself - and a having a local track means that the obstacle I bail on - I can have a go at next time.
And I do, improving constantly. I don't see saying 'nup' as a failure - I get annoyed, but trust my decision.
Better to live and fight another day. (Not young dumb and full of ...)
ers

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
These days if it doesn't feel right I just ride around. Sometimes for an entire ride I hit none of the obstacles. Almost as if I cannot be f'd. Weird thing is next ride I hit everthing without thought.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
These days if it doesn't feel right I just ride around. Sometimes for an entire ride I hit none of the obstacles. Almost as if I cannot be f'd. Weird thing is next ride I hit everthing without thought.
Pretty much my approach too. I think I've proved everything I want to, so now I'm just waiting to die! Joking. I have those days where I feel good and I'm confident so I go for it. If I really want to lift my game, as per above spend time doing drills relentlessly. Just don't have that sort of time available for now so I just focus on having fun and getting some exercise.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I recently got a new bike and I’ve found that to have been a real game changer for the fear. Last bike was a wet noodle compared to this new machine. More travel, bigger wheels and just a better overall presence under me has lifted my game no end. I’m not hucking myself off anything crazy but knowing the bike can handle beyond my capability has helped a lot. My old bike I was pushing it beyond what felt comfortable. Great for jumping stumps, but not launching from a high tower.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I recently rode in the northern Sydney area on some trails that I hadn't attended in about a year. The last time I was there I ate some serious shit and was keen to conquer the drop that conquered me...but it seems to have had a make over.

From my recollection of the crash I landed around the pink dot and then hit a tree (purple dot) that sling shot me OTB to around the blue dot. All the result of a foolish launch plan to "send it!". I felt robbed.

Attachments

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I recently rode in the northern Sydney area on some trails that I hadn't attended in about a year. The last time I was there I ate some serious shit and was keen to conquer the drop that conquered me...but it seems to have had a make over.

From my recollection of the crash I landed around the pink dot and then hit a tree (purple dot) that sling shot me OTB to around the blue dot. All the result of a foolish launch plan to "send it!". I felt robbed.
Is that the “A-Line” drop about midway down Mt Narra? I always rolled that on the old bike but keen to hit again with new gear.