The first CD/tape/vinyl you ever bought?

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is a 'Rockwiz' inpried question - so as the title suggests, what is the first CD/vinyl/tape you farker's owned and/or bought? Also when and where you bought it?

The first album I had ever owned was given to me from my Mum. It was purchased duty free from Brissy Airport after a trip back from Bali back in '96.
I got Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
My older Broseph got Silverchair - Frog Stomp ( dislike new silverchair but it still remains one of my favourite albums)
My younger Broseph got The Cranberries - Ode to the Faithful Departed.

The first album I had ever purchased with my own coin was Sepultura - Roots, back in '96 not long after it had been recorded. There was a second hand joint/pawn shop a few doors up from my dentist which I would search when my brother/s were in the dentist chair. I bought the album second hand for $12

So, what about the rest of you farkers?

Last edited:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Surfin' Surfari" a K-Tel compilation of surf music on cassette... maybe around 1976 when I was 6. Still love surf music and around a year ago finally found an LP to replace my long lost cassette.

Serious record buying addiction started with the first "Hunters & Collectors" LP bought at Woolworths in '82.....

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fixed thread title for you old mongrels! :p

I just realised I was 8 when I bought Roots. $12 was some serious dosh when I was that age :D

'Alex

Likes Dirt
Cold Chisel ~ Swingshift live album

We I knew where it was today :(

I also had the offsprings Ixnay on the hombre on cassette...

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
First I ever bought with my own cash was Iron Maiden 'Powerslave' on cassette however I'd already acquired a few tapes already through the magic of copying. The first of them would have been Appetite for Destruction.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fixed thread title for you old mongrels! :p
Buying CDs just doesn't have the magic of finding vinyl sadly. Did lots of both. The kids of today who only download will never know the satisfaction of finding some extremely rare record/CD you have yearned for and then paying for it out of saved lunch money which you have starved yourself for a few weeks to save up.

I just realised I was 8 when I bought Roots. $12 was some serious dosh when I was that age :D
Roots at 8 is pretty cool... I picked that up at 26 for full price with a good paying job and no family cost or responsibilities... was a great time for record buying... ahh the memories.

Mail Man

Likes Dirt
Beach boys 'Still Cruising' on tape! On a train trip with my Mum to Sydney from the south coast. Also bought a radio walkman (was all the rage then). I remember trying to pick up a signal at wollongong, ABC was all i could get! I was still impressed!

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First vinyl was a 7" of Joe Dolce singing 'Shutup a you face' from the now defunct record store on Ferguson St, Williamstown - god I wish it was something cooler.

Good thread.

entombed

membarrrr
Suicidal Tendencies - How will i Laugh Tommorow, when i cant even smile today. That was my first vinyl. First tape I think was appetite for destruction. I cant remember my first CD

Ivan

Eats Squid
The first album I ever bought with my own moola was RHCP - One Hot Minute. Back when it was released.

First album ever bought for me was a chipmunks one.:p:D

mtb1611

Seymour
First 7": Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde (Men at Work, circa 1981)
First 12": 1983 Summer Breaks
First CD: Doubt (Jesus Jones, 1991)

Gotta agree with my fellow oldies regarding the youth of today and their lack of vinyl-hunting experience. I spent countless hours as a teenager and well into my twenties trawling through second hand record shops in Sydney looking for rare discs. Also did a lot of it in the states and UK, great fun. There used to be a great one opposite Goulds at the city of of King St in Newtown, bought my first ever Hard Ons record there when I was at uni. Can't remember what it was called though (the shop). Any clues?

THE CHENZ

Likes Dirt
First ever music purchase (cassette) - Iron Maiden "Somewhere in Time"
First ever 12' Vinyl purchase - LFO (Old Dj s on here will know that)
First ever Vinyl album purchase - Sonic Youth "Daydream Nation" dbl album.
Still play them today, great memories.:)

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
First tapes.. Raising Hell: Run DMC and Power: Ice-T(Loved it back then but he has a lot to answer for with modern ganstra rap)

First CD either Lights Camera Revolution (ST) or Use Your Illusion (GnR)

TheLunchbox

Likes Dirt
First Album on Tape: Cypress hill Back Sunday
First Album on Vinyl: Massive Attack Massive Attack
First Album on CD: Cant Remember ( Probably something Rave or Techno)

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
First LP: ACDC Back in Black, in Germany in 1988. Shortly followed (in the next week or so) by INXS Kick, Midnight Oils Diesel and Dust and the 1986 live Bis Zum Bitteren Ende album by Die Toten Hosen.

Now that I've established any cred, I'll destroy it with..
First Tape: Soundtrack for Top Gun in 1988.

First CD (I think) was Dave Stewart/Candy Dufler soundtrack for Lily Was Here .