The Fixie Thread

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sumgy, I'd suggest you try taking the fixed off the track and see how easy it is to keep your speed in check down a long hill, reverse thrust can be a real strain at times.

Here is my beautiful Zullo framed fixed gear beast (courtesy of Rhino). Just waiting on some new vintage toe clip pedals complete with leather straps and I'll be in action. The front brake is being removed because it never worked very well to begin with. Now just need to think about the finish, maybe poweder coat or fix up the chrome ....

Edit: Oh yeah and I'm running 39:15 at the moment, think I might need something a bit bigger at the front.
Aaaaaah. I was wondering what happened to that bike.
Yeah 39/15 is a little easy I would think.
My Van Werkhoven will not be going anywhere near dirt.
I have a SS 29er for that.
One day I may have a dirt fixie though.
So you managed to find a driled fork then??
Or is that the one Rhino originally had??

JDB

Likes Dirt
Yeah its go the original forks Rhino had on it, but the front brake was so useless its coming off tonight. Still working on the skids stops, I think the new toe clips should help there. Anyway Townsville is very flat so brakes are not really that important.

Might step up to a 42 at the front I think.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah its go the original forks Rhino had on it, but the front brake was so useless its coming off tonight. Still working on the skids stops, I think the new toe clips should help there. Anyway Townsville is very flat so brakes are not really that important.

I am trying 42/15 on the road but think that 42/17 might be better.

alexb618

Likes Dirt
ive been running a 44/16 (2.75) but it needs a bit more 'go' - changing to a 53/18 (2.94) tonight. i reckon anything between these two is about right if it is mostly flat where you are.

JDB

Likes Dirt
ive been running a 44/16 (2.75) but it needs a bit more 'go' - changing to a 53/18 (2.94) tonight. i reckon anything between these two is about right if it is mostly flat where you are.
Yeah I think 42/15 (2.8) should be about right. Now its time to get a new chain ring I suppose, and upgrade to a bigger pair of legs.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Man, that is not much different to what a lot of the guys at the track are using.
I ran 48/16 which is perhaps a little too small (3).
Rhino said he was going to run 47/15 (3.13)

alexb618

Likes Dirt
its an annoying compromise because i have a couple of short but steep(ish) hills on my commute - coming back in the opposite direction is not much fun as even all the oldies on their flat bar tourers have plenty of gearing to get past!

JDB

Likes Dirt
Wow, had my first proper ride with the new bullhorn handlebars on the bike and its made such a huge difference, I had some track bars on before and it was all just a bit to short, narrow and low for me, but switching to some big 440mm bullhorns has made the ride great. Riding position is so m uch more comfortable, control is a lot better, my skids impreved straight away and I now feel a lot more comfortable sprinting out of the seat. :D

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, had my first proper ride with the new bullhorn handlebars on the bike and its made such a huge difference, I had some track bars on before and it was all just a bit to short, narrow and low for me, but switching to some big 440mm bullhorns has made the ride great. Riding position is so m uch more comfortable, control is a lot better, my skids impreved straight away and I now feel a lot more comfortable sprinting out of the seat. :D
Bullhorns good:)

Attachments

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is sthat frame??
Looks very nice.
I have a set of Sushi bars for if I decide not to run the drop bars.
They are a simlar shape to the Jones H bar but quite a bit narrower.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a Lennie Rogers hand built track frame from the late 70's/early 80's, he was a frame builder in Sydney, made from Reynolds 531 and I had it blasted and resprayed in the original paint scheme with repro decals. She runs a full Miche Primato groupo, in case anyone's interested.

oh yeah.. she's fun:D

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a Lennie Rogers hand built track frame from the late 70's/early 80's, he was a frame builder in Sydney, made from Reynolds 531 and I had it blasted and resprayed in the original paint scheme with repro decals. She runs a full Miche Primato groupo, in case anyone's interested.

oh yeah.. she's fun:D
VERY nice.

idesa

Likes Bikes
do you guys change your chain with every gear change? lose links?
I've read on other forums that some guys who run a fixed/fixed hub use two slightly different size sprockets, say a 15 + 17. When they feel a lil tired they can flip the wheel and not have to change chain cause there is not that greater difference in the chain length. I suppose it depends if you're changing the front ring which you might have to change, or add/subtract links?

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i got a GT frame and i want to spend the minimum possible on it.

who can lead me to the cheapest parts
what i have: Chain, stem, frame :), seat & post.
need: Headset, cranks, wheelset + Tires, brakes (yeah i know, but im too scared) and i really really want bullhorn bars.

any help appreciated.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've read on other forums that some guys who run a fixed/fixed hub use two slightly different size sprockets, say a 15 + 17. When they feel a lil tired they can flip the wheel and not have to change chain cause there is not that greater difference in the chain length. I suppose it depends if you're changing the front ring which you might have to change, or add/subtract links?
You would definitely have to adjust chain tension to change sprocket/cog sizes (unless you change them in opposite directions by the same amount of teeth - unlikely).

To answer the previous question I have track ends so I can change the gearing a bit without dropping/adding links.

idesa

Likes Bikes
i got a GT frame and i want to spend the minimum possible on it.

who can lead me to the cheapest parts
what i have: Chain, stem, frame :), seat & post.
need: Headset, cranks, wheelset + Tires, brakes (yeah i know, but im too scared) and i really really want bullhorn bars.

any help appreciated.
Questions first:
1. What type of frame is it i.e. Road, MTB?
2. SS or fixie?
3. What is your idea of minimum i.e. $100 or $500?

Cheers
Chris