The Fixie Thread

idesa

Likes Bikes
You would definitely have to adjust chain tension to change sprocket/cog sizes (unless you change them in opposite directions by the same amount of teeth - unlikely).

To answer the previous question I have track ends so I can change the gearing a bit without dropping/adding links.
Yes true, and thankyou for adding clarification to my hang-over induced ramblings ;)

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1. What type of frame is it i.e. Road, MTB? MTB
2. SS or fixie? SS
3. What is your idea of minimum i.e. $100 or $500? $500 would be an ideal budget, but less would be even better, aiming at around $300

idesa

Likes Bikes
1. What type of frame is it i.e. Road, MTB? MTB
2. SS or fixie? SS
3. What is your idea of minimum i.e. $100 or $500? $500 would be an ideal budget, but less would be even better, aiming at around $300
Head over to Bicycle Recycle in Morabbin (spelling?). I was there the other day and noticed they had a few sets of 26" SS wheelsets and they should have other useful bits for you too.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had some fixie fun on the streets of Brisbane yesterday.
Ended up with 5 of us for a nice cruisey Sunday morning outing.

Life is interesting on the road with nothing other than resisting the pedals to stop you.

idesa

Likes Bikes
Had some fixie fun on the streets of Brisbane yesterday.
Ended up with 5 of us for a nice cruisey Sunday morning outing.

Life is interesting on the road with nothing other than resisting the pedals to stop you.

So how's it all coming along then with the track stands and stopping sans brakes? Still trying to find bits for mine (man this process is taking forever :( ). Got my eye on this rig on ebay, I should be able to transfer most bits over to my frame thats at the shop at the mo' gettin some minor work done. 'Hopefully' I'll be rollin in 2weeks time! :D

Chris

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So how's it all coming along then with the track stands and stopping sans brakes? Still trying to find bits for mine (man this process is taking forever :( ). Got my eye on this rig on ebay, I should be able to transfer most bits over to my frame thats at the shop at the mo' gettin some minor work done. 'Hopefully' I'll be rollin in 2weeks time! :D

Chris
I am crap at track stands but have not had any trouble with the stopping itself.
I do make sure I leave myself plenty of time especially when coming downhill towards an intersection.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seeing as though this is the fixie thread I thought I'd ask: who went to the world courier champs in Sydney then?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Nice! That thing oozes stealth. A black brake caliper & chain is all that I'd change - got any blacker?

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
Nice! That thing oozes stealth. A black brake caliper & chain is all that I'd change - got any blacker?
I was actually going to get a Baum after seeing yours, but realised i couldnt actually afford it. This one was only a slice of the price, and the geometry is rediculously close to what i was going to get Baum to make. Black 105 caliper is in the mail somewhere, i need to get around to get a CK headset. Im also thinking of just getting a standard chain aswell, save some weight. (Its already 8 and a bit).

idesa

Likes Bikes
*Pulls fixie thread out and dusts it off*

My latest creation: '83-84 something Puegeot Equipe. Love it, and yes the bars are upsidedown! Only bars the LBS had and to tell you truth its really comfo. Enjoy :D

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I herebye proclaim you the winner of the inaugural longest fixie headtube award- congratulations...

nice bike though... nice dusting too...

idesa

Likes Bikes
I herebye proclaim you the winner of the inaugural longest fixie headtube award- congratulations...

nice bike though... nice dusting too...
HAHAHA gold! I think that when this frame dies I shall cut out the tube and mod it up for a walkin stick, or maybe a baseball bat!!!

Arete

Likes Dirt
Well I just finished my fixie/beater. Here's a really bad photo... I'll get some arty-er ones when I can be bothered. It was once a Malvern Star track bike...

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey, looking good there. Are you commuting on it?

I'm thinking of getting the ball rolling, (but not neccessarily coasting) on some regular fixie/singlespeed rides at Centennial Park and olympic Park in the New Year.

Maybe alternate weeks or something like that.

Tuesdays would be good. Any Sydneysiders keen?

Merry Christmas,

Carlin

Mr Pants

skanky media ho
After shooting a story for Cycling Central I was thinking a MTB'ers night at the track would be cool.

Dunc Gray do "come and try" nights, they supply bikes, teach you the ropes and we all go nuts on the track.:D

Anyone up for a night on the boards?