The Fixie Thread

Fusion

Likes Dirt
Clipless > Everything else

I love the feeling of riding clipless, fixed or not. You just have so much more 'connectedness' with the bike, it's almost sexual.

Hey Rhys, have you got yourself a helmet yet? Flemington Road is no fun with no helmet, I reckon!

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Clipless > Everything else

I love the feeling of riding clipless, fixed or not. You just have so much more 'connectedness' with the bike, it's almost sexual.
Damn. The more arguments like these I hear the more I wanna go clipless. I only just considered it this afternoon while riding, and now after everyone's raving i'm desperate!

Fusion

Likes Dirt
Tristan - do it, but don't get eggbeaters. You may as well just tie a bandanna around your seatpost :p; Shimano M970s are where it's at! Mmmm...XTRry goodness!

That, and once you get a pair of shoes, it's a relatively easy exercise to get used to riding clipped in. Falling over is all a part of it ;).

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Tristan - do it, but don't get eggbeaters. You may as well just tie a bandanna around your seatpost :p; Shimano M970s are where it's at! Mmmm...XTRry goodness!

That, and once you get a pair of shoes, it's a relatively easy exercise to get used to riding clipped in. Falling over is all a part of it ;).
Haha. Yeah, I can imagine reverse circles clipped in won't be the best experience...

But i'll definitely give it a shot.

Out of interest how much are those M970s? And how much should I expect to pay for a middle of the range pair of shoes?

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
Hey Rhys, have you got yourself a helmet yet? Flemington Road is no fun with no helmet, I reckon!
*dodges question*

I've spoken to alex and will be seeing him in the next few days!
suggestions?

I fell more when running straps and flats because i liked to do them up real tight.
Even doing skids with clipless and trying some XXXtreme moves ive always been able to put out, which has surprised me.

nhd

Likes Dirt
ive got some xtr clipless pedals somewhere in my room, but i still ride flats (no straps),
looking to get some straps tho, what do you guys recommend ??

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
Ben's 2c on riding fixed clipped

I ride fixed clipped.. I have used both Crank Bro's 'Candy's' & 'Mallets' (both have are eggbeater style with cages) and my choice of shoe is the Shimano DX (a BMX/4X/DH style shoe.. looks like a skate shoe)... The DX's are rad for about town.. the cleat is well recessed, the soles are stiff-ish, easy to wlak about in, looks good and best of all the cover over the laces is awesome for pub/nightclub action.. I never get wet feet anymore..

Fusion

Likes Dirt
*dodges question*

I've spoken to alex and will be seeing him in the next few days!
suggestions?
Depends on what feels good I guess. I like my Catlike Kompact Pro as it fits my head really nicely, and is red. The Giro range is pretty nice too, my housemate loves his E2, but they are a bit pricey and the new retention system isn't as good as the previous versions, from what I gather.

In other news and ideas, how many inches would you guys recommend if I were to take it all off road? I wouldn't mind putting some cyclocross tyres on and giving it a go...

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
Despite the obvious aesthetic benefits of running brakeless I've put my front brake back on.
My knees with thank me on those quick stops as the lights change a little too fast

lebronmtb

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anybody know if the details for meanstreets are up yet? Considering it's 2 days away their pretty slack if they haven't

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
Fixed event in Hobart!

What: Bottles and Chains ‘Disciples of the Iron Horse’ Ride

When: Saturday November 24th @ 2:00pm

Where: Sandy Bay Sailing Club, Nutgrove Beach

Why: On one Saturday in 1882, a group of six cyclists from the Hobart
Bicycle Club competed in a race from Long Beach in Sandy Bay to Browns
River at Kingston Beach and back. The race took them several hours.

The road between Sandy Bay and Kingston in those days was an unformed
‘track’. The riders not only had to contend with mud, steep ungraded
climbs and scrub, but with their equipment also.. they were riding fixed
gear bicycles with brakes that were somewhat ineffectual downhill…
anyway they did it and now we’re going to do it too..!!

I keeping with the spirit of Bottles and Chains this will be an ‘informal’
event.. there’s no entry fee’s or alike and all and sundry are welcome..

Times:
Registration - 1:00pm - 1:45pm
Briefing - 1:45pm
Racing - 2:00pm

Categories:
The ride’s open to anyone but we’ll be organising everyone into four
cats. Brakeless Fixed (aka Mad Bastards), Fixed/Singlespeed (aka The
Legs), Roadies (aka Dopers) and Fat Tyres (aka Knobblies).

You need:
You have to bring a bike to ride and a helmet! Sensible clothes are not
required, or encouraged.

Auxiliary Festivities:
The ride will be followed by plenty of beer and a BBQ at Long
Beach/Nutgrove (whatever the hell beach it is). There will be someone
kicking around there during the ride so if you want to bring along some
snags/beer/vege burgers/etc and leave them there while you ride, that
will be fine!

Everyone who enters will get a spoke card for the memories, and there
might be some prizes for whoever makes it back first!

Questions?
Drop us an e-mail at info@bottlesandchains.com or call Mischa on 0438 599 147.

Attachments

lebronmtb

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Two things here, Polished up my rear hub today and found writing on it,

NORMANDY

27 78

MADE IN FRANCE

Its a high flange track hub and was built onto a mavic rim, can anybody shed some light as to what brand and how good/not good it is?

Also im planning to rebuild it onto a velocity deep v rim and i'm curious as to what is the best spoke pattern for a fixie? I would assume 3cross/radial but honestly dont know, any help would be good, cheers

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
Two things here, Polished up my rear hub today and found writing on it,

NORMANDY

27 78

MADE IN FRANCE

Its a high flange track hub and was built onto a mavic rim, can anybody shed some light as to what brand and how good/not good it is?

Also im planning to rebuild it onto a velocity deep v rim and i'm curious as to what is the best spoke pattern for a fixie? I would assume 3cross/radial but honestly dont know, any help would be good, cheers
Well I know that Normandy is the brand.