The Fixie Thread

'Ross

Eats Squid
Is normandy actually a brand or are you being a smartass:p If so, is it any good?
Ive seen Normandy on ebay, doesn't price to well:p I think its an old brand that has gone out of business but that is just a wild guess. I would judge how good it is by how smoothly it rolls.

lebronmtb

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive seen Normandy on ebay, doesn't price to well:p I think its an old brand that has gone out of business but that is just a wild guess. I would judge how good it is by how smoothly it rolls.
I assumed it was good because all the other components on my bike when I found it were top notch, it rolls really well considering its 30 years old and was sitting in a pile of junk for god knows how long, and its french so it must be good

Sekt

Likes Dirt
My old Gitane road bike has Normandy hubs. They were fairly standard on their bikes (including their higher end stuff I think) during the early to mid seventies. Nothing worth salivating over, but there'd be no point in throwing them away.

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
It runs a lot smoother with the new chain than it did with my filthy sram chain. So all is good.

Also, can anyone actually get out of one foot over the bar skids? Getting into them seems to be surprisingly easy, but its so ridiculously hard to get the leg back over the bars!

lebronmtb

Likes Bikes and Dirt
meanstreets was on last night in melbourne, plenty of good riders there, and so many good looking fixies it wasn't funny! Of course all the couriers won though

'Ross

Eats Squid
Also, can anyone actually get out of one foot over the bar skids? Getting into them seems to be surprisingly easy, but its so ridiculously hard to get the leg back over the bars!
There was a guy last night at Meanstreetz doing all manner of one foot over the bar, through the frame and other crazy skids and tricks. Another guy could easily do endless amounts of no handed backwards circles. I did not attempt any tricks:eek:

It was great fun, was anyone else from farkin there? I finished at about 8.10 just after the main pack with all the radios. I have a newfound disrespect for road rules and most of all taxis! Will definately be attending the next alleycat in Melbourne.

And christo, just for you is a crappy phone pic. There was only about 30 competitors, but that number increased a lot at the Tote, where the race finished. There were fixies all down the street!

Attachments

'Ross

Eats Squid
looks rammed!
are there any other photos of the event out on the net??
Not that I have seen, hopefully some appear on fyxomatosis. There was lots of people not riding, but simply following the action and taking pics. Also there were two guys riding with helmet cams, one had a nasty crash right at the start and got it all on film. I want to see the vids very much.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt

'Ross

Eats Squid
Don't get wtf you are talking about, but I did notice a certain lack of your presence at the race christo? However I do realise its much easier to create a favourable impression of yourself on the internet;)

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you went there girlfriend
Yes, he is a big girl isn't he?

[QUOTE='Ross] Don't get wtf you are talking about, but I did notice a certain lack of your presence at the race christo? However I do realise its much easier to create a favourable impression of yourself on the internet[/QUOTE]

Jeez, it's not like I was soaring with the eagles there, don't have to fly high to go over your head do I?

No, seriously, you've competed in one race & now you're oh so hardcore eh?

If you must know I was busy with the duties of impending fatherhood, tiled the top of our lovely restored changing table last night & spent today stripping the cot for a re-paint. Immensely more satisfying than telling strangers on the interweb how hardcore I am because I failed to place in a race & went to a pub... Certainly having the most satisfying time of my life at the moment.

Back on-topic, some great bargains to be had from Avanti at the moment, I just acquired a Pista pro frame & fork for a truly trifling amount..

Can't wait to build that beastie up, got some nice parts coming, not keen on the orange colour scheme but I can work with that... Aiming to have it built up for the BRW corporate triathlon in March, should be fun!

'Ross

Eats Squid
...sounds like you had fun, then Ross! What was the whole thing like, you know, the route etc. I'd be keen to see some more pictures too.

It was great, all the checkpoints were phone boxes, and you had to write down the number on them. I thought this was a very good innovation, there was no way to cheat or be deceptive (unless you had a radio) and it was a very fair and fun event.

That pic was the only one I got, but there were lots of people following the event armed with cameras, Im sure good quality pics will turn up one day.

And Christo, Im sorry I didn't get a podium place in my first ever alleycat and beat experienced couriers with better capabilities than myself, I went to have fun and meet some new people, it was a fun night and Ill certainly go again.

I guess you would have blitzed the field, totally dominated, and immeadiately returned to this thread to boast about it. Unfortunately you were not there, so your condascending remarks do not really have any affect. Your ability to talk yourself up here is quite incredible, it has even extended to me! You labelled me a 'street warrior' which is indeed quite far from the truth.

Im gonna stop arguing with ya christo, if you want to properly publicly embaress me (no your lame critique is not quite doing the job) come to the next alleycat and woop my ass in person. I won't mind.

Anyway, you are expecting a child so this should be the happiest time of your life, Ill lay off the lame insults for now, you had just better hope your child does not turn out like me in any way! Good luck.

Last edited:

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your ability to talk yourself up here is quite incredible, it has even extended to me! You labelled me a 'street warrior' which is indeed quite far from the truth..
OK, now you're being delusional, a quick advanced search on the words 'street warrior' reveals no such thing - maybe look up 'projection' and 'Freud' on wikipedia...?

Maybe it was 'Sheep worrier'? Sort of sounds similar? I'm sure I've seen you creeping round the lower paddocks.;)

I've never talked myself up '888Ross' (the 888's on your Hardrock was short-lived phase wasn't it? - will the fixed fashion be as fleeting?) frankly I usually need police/counsellors to talk me down most of the time....

As I've mentioned before Ross, I'm not trying to embarrass you, I would never treat you as you treat other members (like Bowlo) and quote you in my sig. just to make myself feel better than someone who lives interstate. All I do is give you a few light-hearted teases (basically just call you a 'hipster)'and you bite like nervous poodle - it's irresistible fun...
The lady doth protest too much!
You know there's no ill will, you've even asked me for advice & I answer honestly & respectfully.

Take it like a man and bite back better! Add some humour, have fun shit-stirring - FFS I'm in my thirties, don't even have my licence, I'm hairy, balding and wear glasses - there I've just given you plenty of ammo - make the interweb fun! That's all I'm doing...

Back OT after a short interlude - because after that ramble I desperately need to contribute something to this thread besides annoying everyone.

Anyone know offhand whether the velocity hollow axles can be bought after market? Or just in complete hubs? When I last checked they were only available on the chrome hubs, complete.