The Fixie Thread

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2 possible silly questions:

1. got a mate who wants a cheap bike, i suggest the CELL mallet or whatever. 500 bucks. how shit are they? i assume wheels are, but for a newbie, will it last a while?

2. For me. do they make "lock nutt" type nuts you can use for your wheels? when im leaving the bike outside i usually just lock the frame or rear wheel and frame to something. be nice to make it a little harder for the theives...

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just get those nulock threaded lock nuts?

You can get lockable QR axels, but you wouldn't have QR on a fixie, now would you :p

Tomas

my mum says im cool

1. got a mate who wants a cheap bike, i suggest the CELL mallet or whatever. 500 bucks. how shit are they? i assume wheels are, but for a newbie, will it last a while?

2. For me. do they make "lock nutt" type nuts you can use for your wheels? when im leaving the bike outside i usually just lock the frame or rear wheel and frame to something. be nice to make it a little harder for the theives...
Front wheels have the guise of being easy to steal, irrespective of the method used. So throw your D lock through the frame and front wheel and she'll be right.

I've never seen a bike sans rear bolt up wheel, put it that way.

mtb_mark

Likes Dirt
hey guys, i never really look at this part of rotorburn, but im interested in getting a fixie for getting around/being individual on. (kidding)
Im just curious as to whether it would be a good idea to look for something real cheap second hand or go for a brand spanking new bike. i dont care what it looks like, just if it rides smooth.
any help?
cheers

stp0 rider

Likes Bikes
cell mallet for 500 is a good starting point..
Visp and Eighth inch scrambler frames are also a reliable and reasonably cheap frame to build a fixie around
heard some bad things about the chappelli fixies so i suggest staying away from them

BTW its harry jaspers friend :p

floody

Wheel size expert
Might sell mine if anyone wants it. I think it will just disappear in the for sale pages so if anyone wants a classy vintage track bike...

^Outdoor pics with the old long stem and shunter wheelset, indoor pic is as specced now. Will include the spare wheelset and 110mm stem.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?203117-TRACK-Go-Fast-Turn-Left!

Most components refurbished or NOS, full period spec build, practically as new condition ridden only a couple of times since build. $1200 Shipped anywhere in oz.

52X52cm I believe.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Floody thats f-in sweet. Seriously, if I had the dough I'd stick it up on my wall.

Front wheels have the guise of being easy to steal, irrespective of the method used. So throw your D lock through the frame and front wheel and she'll be right.

I've never seen a bike sans rear bolt up wheel, put it that way.
This. ^^
On my commuter the rear which is your standard 15mm nutted, probably not going to get stolen, and on the front a 'bolt up' QR axle (allen key). I run my cable/Dlock through the back triangle/rear wheel. I figure if someone has the tools and determination to borrow parts of your bike, a front wheel will be cheaper to replace. I just hope no one takes my seat/seatpost/seatclamp cause I like those.

My daily whip.

[snip]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs561.ash2/148376_10150331159405094_784540093_15869341_3200674_n.jpg[/snip]
Awesome man. Can't for the life of me remember what frame you have? Can't see the rear stays that well so perhaps steamroller?
Anyway how do you find the spds + brakeless? I ran some on my flite and did unclip more then enough to go back to cages while stopping and skidding... saying that I have 'mutli-realease' cleats on my shoes... single realease cleats anybody?

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Superglue a ball bearing into the hex bolts for any parts you dont want stolen.

Should you need to undo them, acetone/nail polish remover/any solvent will clear it out in a heartbeat.

You only need like one on the stem and one on the seat collar and your laughing.

BizGlatfelter

Cannon Fodder
Help!

Looking to buy a philwood BB for my motobecane mirage 61'cm but I don't know what size to get!

Anybody with this same bike converted to FG please help!

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My latest:

I'm calling it an accident. I didn't really need to buy the frame, and I just happened to have the parts just lying around in the garage. Whoops.

pilot

Likes Dirt
So...

I'm finally putting together my first build from scratch. It feels so indulgent to have so many shiny new parts. Damn she's gonna be sweet.

I'm wondering if there are any parts that need special attention when going together brand-new. I'm guessing you want to put plenty of grease on threads such as the BB?

Also I haven't got a headset yet. I'm after a 1-1/8" threadless. How do Cane Creek HS's go?

HLC

Likes Dirt
all finished.

Although its a bit noisy. Sounds like its coming from the front hub, but it spins fine when unloaded, so then i think driveline, but thats silent when unloaded too. oh well, makes up for not having a bell lol

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^interesting colour combo...

coming time for some new tyres. currently got rubberino 2's which have been hard wearing but i heard good things about gatorskins? worth the extra coin?