The Fixie Thread

potato

Likes Dirt
starting a new built tomorrow *yays*
italian made track frame with nervex lugs, weinmann dp18 rims on formula hubs, pake cranks blah blah blah...
pictures will be posted...

wombat

Lives in a hole
What is that? Looks nice!
It's a frame of humble beginnings, for which I have grand plans.:p

The stickers are my work, but the frame is a basic double butted cro-mo thing from a mainstream fixie complete...guess which?

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone other than Surly make a chain tug that I can use with a QR skewer?
I've used any bolt up chain tugs on qr skewers without any problems. Tbh, i didn't even know that there were specific ones for bolt up and qr. :S

wombat

Lives in a hole
I've used any bolt up chain tugs on qr skewers without any problems. Tbh, i didn't even know that there were specific ones for bolt up and qr. :S
yeah, it's what I was going to do too; the Surly tugs are ugly, and I figure I can always make a reducer to locate the skewer properly if need be.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You want a chain tug that slots inside the 10mm drop out and cups the axle Not the QR. The Surly 'QR adapter' does not do this, the whole assembly sits on the outside of the dropout QR or not. I think the DMR chain tugs might.

If the chain tug holds the QR and not the axle then it will suck. I ended up just getting a bolt-up hub.

The commuter looks sweet. Where is your commute now? Let me know if you are riding over the city way any time.

wombat

Lives in a hole
You want a chain tug that slots inside the 10mm drop out and cups the axle Not the QR. The Surly 'QR adapter' does not do this, the whole assembly sits on the outside of the dropout QR or not. I think the DMR chain tugs might.

If the chain tug holds the QR and not the axle then it will suck. I ended up just getting a bolt-up hub.

The commuter looks sweet. Where is your commute now? Let me know if you are riding over the city way any time.
Ahh good point! I was gonna get some MKS tensioners and make up reducers for the skewers, but the DMR ones definately sound like a better solution.

I'm out west at the moment, but I'll get in touch if I'm heading into town.

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would have posted this up earlier, but have been unable to due to lack of camera.

Planning on changing the stem, saddle, seat post and tyres when these ones die. Weight comes in at 9.25kg which is much better than what I thought it'd be.

Any advice on a nice looking stem? chasing polished finish, 70mm length and 0degree rise/drop. Or even something like a BMX stem with a 25.4 clamp?

pilot

Likes Dirt
So i've got this old Peugeot frame that I love. The only problem is the splined bottom bracket and crank arm. The crank has got worn and won't bed with the BB anymore and it wobbles. I would try and find a new crank but I don't like my chances of finding the part in good enough condition.

With it all cleaned up I can see that it is Shimano Selecta.

My question is how hard it is likely to be to find a BB that will fit the frame. The current BB can be seen below.

Also, how do I get those sections out of the frame, is there a tool that fits those inside splines?

Cheers

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Can't help with a specific tool, never seen anything resembling that BB.

Anyway it may be French Thread, Velo Orange do a square taper BB to suit. Be aware both sides will be right hand thread in that case (ala Italian BBs) not directionally threaded like BSA type.

Last edited: