The future of bikes and prices

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Isn't Martin Maes' GT running 29 front 27.5 rear?
Yes and it's made the internet excited. Rumour has it that it's only being done because GT haven't quite got round to releasing their 160mm 29er snowplough yet, so it's kind of an interim move. Seems to be working alright though.

nexusfish

El Mariachi
I cant help thinking to get that last few percent improvement it will have to go the way like that bike made by Hope. Majority designed and made in house and all designed to work together, rather than cobbled together form different companies parts and they can make whatever standards they need to to work best with their design principles.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes and it's made the internet excited. Rumour has it that it's only being done because GT haven't quite got round to releasing their 160mm 29er snowplough yet, so it's kind of an interim move. Seems to be working alright though.
The commentary around Maes' split wheel size has frustrated the shit out of me. His bike is 27.5. He didn't choose this combo specifically to be the best of a 29er and 27.5, it's all he can do to get the advantage when his bike can't run big rear wheels

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
That's not the future. It's just a lot of wasted development money that a whole bunch of family members wont get back.
Exactly. It’s also why successful automobile manufacturers spend a fortune on exterior design. It doesn’t matter how technically superior it is under the hood if it looks like a SsangYong.

If trellis linkages were that good, they’d be far more prolific. The limitations of telescoping forks are far outweighed by their advantages.

Steve is a bit wordy at times, but he makes a few good points.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
And these guys too...

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Inverted forks first, linkage forks later. Especially with the way Moto went over to them as standard years ago, and the expansion of the e-bikes and companies finding profit in building beefier items, the old weight considerations of previous years will likely fade away somewhat.
That's my hope and my guess at least.
I think you are right about the weight aspect changing. Ebike forks are already getting heavier. I reckon in inverted and linkage forks there are only marginal gains to be made and so the mass market wont even bother.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Inverted forks first, linkage forks later. Especially with the way Moto went over to them as standard years ago, and the expansion of the e-bikes and companies finding profit in building beefier items, the old weight considerations of previous years will likely fade away somewhat.

That's my hope and my guess at least.
I think you are right about the weight aspect changing. Ebike forks are already getting heavier. I reckon in inverted and linkage forks there are only marginal gains to be made and so the mass market wont even bother.
I like the thought of inverted forks, unsprung weight and all that. But aren't they floppy as all hell unless you're using full bolt down DH style axles?

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Upside down forks on motorcycles are night and day better than stock forks. Way stiffer,much better small bump compliance and overall the feel, confidence and feedback is vastly improved.

Last edited: