The future of bikes and prices

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Sometimes it's not about performance numbers, sometimes you just justify it because it's really nice to own something beautiful!!
Is that any less of a valid reason to get nice parts for it? I mean if I've earned the money and deem it's how I want to spend it, and get enjoyment from it, and am inspired to ride because of it, who's to say that's not been a worthwhile investment? Is it wrong because there are faster riders than me on worse bikes?
Nothing wrong with any of this. We're all enthusiasts on this site and a desire for the nicest gear is pretty natural. I'm a bit conflicted in that I lust after the nice stuff but am too much of a tight arse to buy it. Fortunately there's plenty on here without those hangups that I can live vicariously through.

My surprise is more at the $$ being spent by more casual riders. My comments weren't directed at any of the passionate mtbers on here.

Reactions: Zaf

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I actually think the design & tech progression is still ongoing.
Sure, the curve has flattened a little in the last year or two.... but it feels to me like bikes are still evolving a lot.
In the overall life of the bicycle, it's only been the last 2 minutes that mtn bike frame design has thrown off the road bike angles, wheelbases etc. Only lately can we buy clean-sheet designs (Pole, Nicolai etc) where zero fucks were given to accepted/traditional starting points of design.
Bikes in the last few years have 'come of age' (whatever that cliche actually means).

I have a slightly different experience with component spec and price.
When you're 5'10" and you weigh about 85kgs and your arms and legs are a 'normal' length, then the frame dimensions are not that critical. You can stroll into any bike shop and criticise the various models based on spec vs price.
After a while you probably get frustrated with the industry because it all looks the same and it's all expensive.

But when you're built like a Praying Mantis (or a Hobbit) your new bike search is different.
I was ruthless about frame sizing.
Specs and tech were a distant second.
The bike I eventually bought (Kona Process) was actually poor vfm on spec per dollar but I didn't care.... and it paid off. The bike fits me like a glove and I freaking love riding it. As we all know, the shit hanging off the frame can be swapped/upgraded down the line, but the frame cannot be modded (much).

To anyone who thinks bikes are not evolving much lately, explain to me how my enormous, heavy XL 29er Process goes uphill the way it does? It defies physics.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zaf

Jpez

Down on the left!
This conversation reminded me of a lesson in humility I had lately.
Me and my buddy on long travel bikes. My mates BIL came out for a ride.
Turns up on a triple chainring Anthem and Lycra.
I’m thinking Great.
Anyway he says don’t let me change up where you want to ride.
So we hit our usual black trails and every time I got to the bottom there he was right behind us. Literally stuck to us like glue and we weren’t taking it easy for his benefit either.
What he didn’t have in modern gear or travel or Endurbro wankery he made up in pure skill and fitness and showed us a thing or or two that day.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
When the Z1 came out I spent more on that fork* than either my first or second mtb cost in total. That revolution was worth every cent.

I've always lagged behind a bit, not owned the latest tech (except the Z1 which I pre-ordered), tended to get 7-10 years out of bikes. I reckon my old bike would be slower everywhere and I also think the newer model of my current bike would only give marginal gains. Gap between old bike and new bike is ~12 years, between new bike and now is ~4 years.

@born-again-biker my Iron Horse SGS climbs great, a nicely blanced 4 bar FSR design with Fox Vanilla pro pedal. It weighs 18-19kg depending on tyres though. My arse hangs over the back wheel. The forks are too short. Did I mention the weight? The Process is just-another-four-bar and so is my Bronson. They aren't 19kg which is the main difference.

Bikes seemed to get really capable and light in the last 6 years or so. When I bought the Trek Fuel carbon, one model from the top, the top alu model was a couple of grams lighter and a couple of grand cheaper.

There's always someone faster than you @Jpez and it's super impressive to see. Old mate recently on a 120mm travel 29er flogged me on several downhills, humbling.

*It may have cost slightly less because I got staff price but retail was more.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I’m thinking Great.
So we hit our usual black trails and every time I got to the bottom there he was right behind us. Literally stuck to us like glue and we weren’t taking it easy for his benefit either.
What he didn’t have in modern gear or travel or Endurbro wankery he made up in pure skill and fitness and showed us a thing or or two that day.
Can he show me a thing or two? I need as much help as I can get.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
When the Z1 came out I spent more on that fork* than either my first or second mtb cost in total. That revolution was worth every cent.
I've got one hanging in the shed. Dying to get it back on a bike. So sensitive for small stuff, soaked up big hits too.

I, probably unfairly, gauge everything else against it for sensitivity.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Peaty is about 6 foot 4, I am assuming Nate Rennie is similar. Didn't seem to have trouble winning on frames from 15 + years ago.
Rennie's Makulu was customised for his size.

I own his old Canberra worlds frame from '09, which I purchased specifically for this reason (same height).

She's retired now, but it's definitely bigger/longer than the production size large of the time.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I’m thinking Great.
There's always someone faster than you @Jpez and it's super impressive to see. Old mate recently on a 120mm travel 29er flogged me on several downhills, humbling.
Had a similar experience earlier in the year. Was invited on a group ride and then found out the rest were on e-mtbs and knew I'd be holding everyone up badly.

Get there and someone says, don't stress such and such is on a normal bike too. I look across and someone is on the rattiest Giant Talon with balding tyres you've ever seen. It honestly looked like it spent its life rolling to the shops. I'm suddenly relieved I won't be the slowest.

Turns out the rider was a former motocross champ and pro fire fighter; led the e-mtbs up the climbs and flogged everyone on the descents. I'd say it was awesome to see, but struggling up the back I saw nothing.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Had a similar experience earlier in the year. Was invited on a group ride and then found out the rest were on e-mtbs and knew I'd be holding everyone up badly.

Get there and someone says, don't stress such and such is on a normal bike too. I look across and someone is on the rattiest Giant Talon with balding tyres you've ever seen. It honestly looked like it spent its life rolling to the shops. I'm suddenly relieved I won't be the slowest.

Turns out the rider was a former motocross champ and pro fire fighter; led the e-mtbs up the climbs and flogged everyone on the descents. I'd say it was awesome to see, but struggling up the back I saw nothing.
It funny how people are judgemental like that, we get a fair bit of this in our rider group where people become Arses, they will not let another rider pass because they can't be seen passed by someone on an older and outdated bike,

Flow-Rider

Burner

Unironically start screaming "TRACK!!" and buzzing their tyres until they get their ego's out of the way of someone else fun!
Then they try to blame you when they stack :D, I usually make sure I'm in front of them by the next descent but some of the other people in group will hang behind them.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
KOM-man was screaming up Stromlo the other day having a yell, I was leading with two mates behind, mate in second spot thought it was our other mate yelling in excitement at how good the track was until the shouter caught up with us, was quite a laugh.

None of us were catching him before the downhill, dude was a machine on a blinged out single speed! And there you have it, a bike with one gear and a rider with massive lungs and legs will always beat the rider with smaller lungs and legs. I don't think he was running long slack low :)

stirk

Burner
With many of you buying new bikes seemingly every other year I've been thinking my 2014 Kona process is a has-been now and I should upgrade.

This thread had convinced me otherwise as there's not much come along since 2014 that's game changing good worthy of my money, except maybe for boost....

Calvin27

Eats Squid
This thread had convinced me otherwise as there's not much come along since 2014 that's game changing
I'd tend to agree. I think getting prices down is the only bit of innovating left. I think in terms of my shed, I only really have ice tech rotors to give a shot and most is pretty up to date despite my mtbs going as far back as 2012.

Actually, I think we are due for another wheel size.

scblack

Leucocholic
I'd tend to agree. I think getting prices down is the only bit of innovating left. I think in terms of my shed, I only really have ice tech rotors to give a shot and most is pretty up to date despite my mtbs going as far back as 2012.

Actually, I think we are due for another wheel size.
I have a couple of ice-tech rotors sitting idle in my garage. 203 & 180 I am pretty sure. You're welcome to them if you wish.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
So somewhat on topic - is this innovation or just marketing?

https://reviews.mtbr.com/zipp-3zero-moto-wheels-launched
8 colours. Innovation for sure ;)

You can't put it on downhill bikes but what if you're Sam Hill on an Enduro bike (ie. a lesser mortal on a DH bike)?

I think the question is more will this be an innovation that goes mainstream? At $700 USD per rim I'm not so sure, but it definitely looks interesting on paper.