The future of bikes and prices

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
8 colours. Innovation for sure ;)

You can't put it on downhill bikes but what if you're Sam Hill on an Enduro bike (ie. a lesser mortal on a DH bike)?

I think the question is more will this be an innovation that goes mainstream? At $700 USD per rim I'm not so sure, but it definitely looks interesting on paper.
Yeah you have to wonder whether it really will reduce harshness and help prevent flats like they claim - I can’t see rims deforming that much to make a huge difference given the size and amount of deformation of a typical tyre. Happy to be proven wrong though. I guess companies need to keep throwing new ideas out there - one or two might stick and make them a good return.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yeah you have to wonder whether it really will reduce harshness and help prevent flats like they claim - I can’t see rims deforming that much to make a huge difference given the size and amount of deformation of a typical tyre. Happy to be proven wrong though. I guess companies need to keep throwing new ideas out there - one or two might stick and make them a good return.
I think @Ackland 's post shows it's not an entirely new idea so might have some merit but yeah there's a lot of movement in a tyre casing, I want to see the super slow motion video, not just the diagram.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd tend to agree. I think getting prices down is the only bit of innovating left. I think in terms of my shed, I only really have ice tech rotors to give a shot and most is pretty up to date despite my mtbs going as far back as 2012.

Actually, I think we are due for another wheel size.
The new thing is 27.5 rear and 29er front. Existing wheels and frames wont work because the forces on them are completely different resulting in explosions and death.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The new thing is 27.5 rear and 29er front. Existing wheels and frames wont work because the forces on them are completely different resulting in explosions and death.
Apparently some brands are trialling the 29er front and 27 rear on DH bikes, something about buzzing their bum cheeks on the rear 29er too often.

Nambra

Bouw meester was making that design with carbon in 2014
So it seems... so why has Zipp now come along with the same concept when it didn't seem to have taken the industry by storm 5 years ago? Is it just one of those niche things for the elite riders, or is SRAM worried about Bouwmeester’s collaboration with Crank Bros, or trying to get some more mileage from Shockwiz by banging it on wheels now too? Another case of a solution to a problem that never really existed to begin with?

Saw that Druid too, so high pivots are back to the future now?

Edit: Kazimer gives a better account of the Zipp wheels on PB and also acknowledges Bouwmeester. Sounds like he thinks there could be some benefits?

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
So it seems... so why has Zipp now come along with the same concept when it didn't seem to have taken the industry by storm 5 years ago? Is it just one of those niche things for the elite riders, or is SRAM worried about Bouwmeester’s collaboration with Crank Bros, or trying to get some more mileage from Shockwiz by banging it on wheels now too? Another case of a solution to a problem that never really existed to begin with?

Saw that Druid too, so high pivots are back to the future now?
I think a lot of product success can be contributed on how well a product was marketed but it will be interesting to see how well they take off.

We're pretty lucky to be mountain bikers in this era as the choice of bikes and parts is becoming infinite, the cost of it all is another issue though :).

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I may be old fashioned, but it's concerning me that 'convenience' technology is being integrated into components now. Makes replacing already pricey components even more pricey. It's the second SRAM product in a month to be released with an electronic component

Nambra

I had to laugh at this comment after the PB article. Someone asked “doesn’t sram own Zipp? Interesting to see this fall under the Zipp brand.” to which some Kiwi smartarse replied “They dont have any pointless features or come in 28.99mm width so they couldnt possibly carry sram branding”

I’m sceptical like you @Cardy George, just because we have ebikes and smartphones, it doesn’t mean we really need to have electronic tech all over the bike and a smartphone app to rule it all.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I’m sceptical like you @Cardy George, just because we have ebikes and smartphones, it doesn’t mean we really need to have electronic tech all over the bike and a smartphone app to rule it all.
I'm not a big fan of electrics on MTBs either.

It will be like cars and generators and cranes, the first few models will be an unreliable POS and then they'll develop the better stuff.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its all a bit crazy, I stuggle to understand who would want to drop $2k plus on a wheelset that is just going to get beaten up on the trail.
By the way that all sounds like complete bullshit to me.

Think I've mentioned it before, but the constant moving standards and questionable durability really turned me off the thought of dropping big $ on a bike at this point in time. Also, I again didn't like the thought of trashing an expensive bike for marginal gains. Hence I purchased my low end bike which has performed exceptional, other than being a little heavier than other more expensive offerings.

But in saying that, they are not really that expensive when you compare to other hobbies or even a gym membership for instance.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yeah I reckon more sensors are coming. Auto damping based on terrain data linked to your GPS. Traction control and ABS and auto transmission on e-bikes, e power linked to torque and heart rate.

I'm not a fan either but sensors are obviously huge business and getting tinier and cheaper.