The gaming thread

tobbogonist

a registered member
decent offers on the steam winter sale. being someone of limited imagination i just loaded all the dirt rally 2 dlc for 50% off.
A bloke i work with plays dirt with Colin Mcrea's nephew. I tried to play with them once, lapped me about 2 minutes in. Racing games are not for me.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Decided to get ac Valhalla for $59 from Amazon. Odyssey was so good. Let’s hope I’m not disappointed!
just started Odyssey, on the starting island. liking it, great scenery, gameplay seems good. playing without the 'join the dots' navigation. still has way points and such. just slightly less go to point A stab this, loot that, go to point B, etc vibe. if there's too much navigation assistance, you might as well be on a frikken conveyor belt, IMO.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
just started Odyssey, on the starting island. liking it, great scenery, gameplay seems good. playing without the 'join the dots' navigation. still has way points and such. just slightly less go to point A stab this, loot that, go to point B, etc vibe. if there's too much navigation assistance, you might as well be on a frikken conveyor belt, IMO.
The join the dots thingy has always been the trademark of ac games I think. It’s certainly much much more challenging without it.

It’ll get more interesting after the starting island. I don’t want to spoil it for u :)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
A bloke i work with plays dirt with Colin Mcrea's nephew. I tried to play with them once, lapped me about 2 minutes in. Racing games are not for me.
Agreed. Some racing games and fun but some just miss the mark. I didn't mind the earlier Colin McRae games but the later Dirt just weren't as fun for me. The Need For Speeds were hit n' miss.

I liked Burnout games just for the speed and scenery. SW Pod Racer was fun too.

Motocross Madness and Pure was just no thinking, go fast fun.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Just bought Totally Accurate Battle Simulator on Steam. LOL brilliant game!

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Agreed. Some racing games and fun but some just miss the mark. I didn't mind the earlier Colin McRae games but the later Dirt just weren't as fun for me. The Need For Speeds were hit n' miss.

Drive Club is fun. you get to drive the teats off some cool exotic sports cars in different settings, and the engine notes are pretty sweet, to my ear.

Dirt rally was intense, haven't tried DR2, but just got WRC 9 to try out over the break. Jimmy Broadbent (sim racer) approved :)

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the dirt series is very arcadey, dirt rally 1 and 2 are more serious. Still the best racing i found was in iracing but it sucks when you want to do a series but need to constantly buy new tracks or sit a week out and find something else.

tobbogonist

a registered member

The early burnout games where amazing.
I remember something about motor cross madness where you would get to the end of the map and be 'shot' back to the track or something. I used to play it with a mate I'd completely forgot existed. Just found him on my girlfriends facebook, he is a muscly as shit and into dirt bikes now. This has been a wild ride haha.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Drive Club is fun. you get to drive the teats off some cool exotic sports cars in different settings, and the engine notes are pretty sweet, to my ear.

Dirt rally was intense, haven't tried DR2, but just got WRC 9 to try out over the break. Jimmy Broadbent (sim racer) approved :)
Might have ot give it a try. I'm on the fence with games that get too sim-like where you are adjusting all sorts of car settings opposed to ones where you just drive fast, and don't run into bug immovable things.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
the dirt series is very arcadey, dirt rally 1 and 2 are more serious. Still the best racing i found was in iracing but it sucks when you want to do a series but need to constantly buy new tracks or sit a week out and find something else.
I might have to try a few more. I don't mind a bit more arcade over full on serious car sims. Each have their place though

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I remember something about motor cross madness where you would get to the end of the map and be 'shot' back to the track or something. I used to play it with a mate I'd completely forgot existed. Just found him on my girlfriends facebook, he is a muscly as shit and into dirt bikes now. This has been a wild ride haha.
They were pretty good at the time and packed a lot into into. Play the original one now if you want to hear music from the 90s :)

I remember being slingshoted by MCM boundaries. Getting flung in the air.

I liked the open drive fast Baja tracks I think but the freestyle stuff - like most of those skateboard,snowboard or anything else that you have to do a bunch of moves before hitting the ground don't do it as much for me.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
As far as racing games go I was a fan of gran turismo. I liked that if you didn't know shit about cars you could really fuck up a build with some upgrades.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I might have to try a few more. I don't mind a bit more arcade over full on serious car sims. Each have their place though
Get on it. Not the dirt rally series, just the dirt series. 2 was the most fun I reckon, pure Arcady action. 3&4 tried to add some realism so kinda lost me a bit. Havn't played 5 yet but I hear it's more or less discarded the realism again, so should be a hoot

Still got burnout dominator and revenge on the PSP, ripper games

Road Rash was the pinnacle of all driving / riding games
Hahahahahaha! Best reason to have a mega drive over a SNES

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now is the perfect time to grab last gen games. DR2 is a yesr old and only $7 on sale. Dirt 4 is $5. All because dirt 5 is just out