The gaming thread

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Thats a rad setup Wes! Nice work, looks legit.
E3 was really good, I'm very excited for four games:
Fallout 76
Elder Scrolls VI
Last of us 2
Cyberpunk 2077, looks like it's gonna be bad arse!
I'm mega disappointed that a new Splinter Cell didn't get announced though, that makes me sad. :(

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Finally finished my racing pod a couple of weekends ago. I'm running a G27 with inverted pedals and a seat from a BMW. It took me over a year and cost at least $300. Turns out painting with rattle cans isn't cheap. If you want to spend time racing rather than building get something prebuilt from the likes of Playseat.

I'm borrowing an Oculus Rift from a friend and have been cutting laps in Project Cars 2. It's good fun although my old 680 doesn't really meet the minimum specs for VR. I'd like a new GPU but the damn crypto jerks have kept prices high and nVidia haven't released anything for two years.

Nice work, that looks sweet. A little bit neater than my home built set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
First timer giving civilization 6 a shot.

Gawd it's a long and complicated game - but nuking people is always fun.
Have you tried any of the total war franchise? Very good games also, and the battle mechanics are pretty on point. Steep learning curve though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

Man I have dropped some hours into Total Wars over the years. The campaign maps are amazing as well, can rival Civ a good game of that (just hit auto-resolve on battles and go for it!).
Europa Universalis series also if you want Civ/Total War on steroids. Not an easy entry curve to that game, but amazingly addictive once you're in it.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Have you tried any of the total war franchise? Very good games also, and the battle mechanics are pretty on point. Steep learning curve though.
Most games of this sort are steep learning curves. I played one of the older civs once (and got bored quick) turned based wasn't really my thing and back then I preferred fast real time games coming off star craft warcraft and cs. Even Age of empires was too slow for me. now however, my home internet is tortoise at best and the amount of frag rage is unhealthy. I am still a cicken dinner virgin in single player mode with the last time playing battlefield having disconnected with the scope at the guy's head being one of two.

I'll have a look at total war - which one would you recommend?

*Edit - I think I might need a CPU upgrade as well these games seem to be more cpu intensive than others.

Z

Zaf

Most games of this sort are steep learning curves. I played one of the older civs once (and got bored quick) turned based wasn't really my thing and back then I preferred fast real time games coming off star craft warcraft and cs. Even Age of empires was too slow for me. now however, my home internet is tortoise at best and the amount of frag rage is unhealthy. I am still a cicken dinner virgin in single player mode with the last time playing battlefield having disconnected with the scope at the guy's head being one of two.

I'll have a look at total war - which one would you recommend?

*Edit - I think I might need a CPU upgrade as well these games seem to be more cpu intensive than others.
Medieval II, Rome II and Shogun II and Empire are all fantastic.
I prefer the battlefield tactics of Medieval II and Rome II, Shogun II (without the expansion). The blackpowder weapons kind of made battlefield maneuvers less satisfying. However the Empire campaign map mode is nuts, and the naval battles are reallllly cool.

If you're suffering for computer power, Medieval II was released earliest and prior to a lot of the really big graphics leaps, still moved on from the sprite based graphics of the earlier titles though. They all have the same core gameplay though, just with little changes and refinements here and there.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Medieval II, Rome II and Shogun II and Empire are all fantastic.
I prefer the battlefield tactics of Medieval II and Rome II, Shogun II (without the expansion). The blackpowder weapons kind of made battlefield maneuvers less satisfying. However the Empire campaign map mode is nuts, and the naval battles are reallllly cool.

If you're suffering for computer power, Medieval II was released earliest and prior to a lot of the really big graphics leaps, still moved on from the sprite based graphics of the earlier titles though. They all have the same core gameplay though, just with little changes and refinements here and there.
Good suggestions, cheers 0 I'll have a look. CPU power is ok, but as with most things always upgrading to make it faster and perform better.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Rome II was my favourite out if the historical titles. Faction and gameplay wise. I’m a fantasy tragic though so warhammer total war two is my pick of the bunch, but you might struggle to run them, my laptop barely manages the second one.

The warhammer titles are stupid funny, and much simpler both in campaign mechanics and the battles. who doesn’t want a vampire riding a dragon fighting a giant centaur lookin arsehole holding a huge hammer :D

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I just started playing total war again after a hiatus since the OG release of Rome 2. Played it since the initial shogun game.
It’s an iPad port and plays well.
Got the Rome pack which is the base game plus the expansion packs.... can relate to Zafs meme above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Nice, its soo good. So much tension trying to run away and find ammo all the time.

There's a DLC for it now that looks interesting - keen to know how it plays.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Anyone been playing PUBG mobile? I purposely avoid having decent gaming platforms so I dont spend much time on them but even on the mobile this is an awesome game.

The controls are obviously not as good as pc/consoles but they are good enough and everyone is in the same boat leaving some awesome tactical fps.

Would be awesome if anyone was playong and wanted to get in on some squads or duos. Teamwork with randoms on the asian server is pretty difficult as not many people speak english

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Anyone been playing PUBG mobile? I purposely avoid having decent gaming platforms so I dont spend much time on them but even on the mobile this is an awesome game.

The controls are obviously not as good as pc/consoles but they are good enough and everyone is in the same boat leaving some awesome tactical fps.

Would be awesome if anyone was playong and wanted to get in on some squads or duos. Teamwork with randoms on the asian server is pretty difficult as not many people speak english
Yeah I play pretty regularly on mobile platform. Got a new iPad and it’s really fun.
We were having a game at work during lunch the other day and a fire engine pulled up. We paused play while he came in to the shop, he asked if we were playing PUBG.... caught! Apparently he plays it himself while waiting on call outs.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Yeah I play pretty regularly on mobile platform. Got a new iPad and it’s really fun.
We were having a game at work during lunch the other day and a fire engine pulled up. We paused play while he came in to the shop, he asked if we were playing PUBG.... caught! Apparently he plays it himself while waiting on call outs.

Awesome. My ID is 5157522902 (Wigglepiggle), add me