The gaming thread

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I've never played the Warhammer Total Wars, despite having owned actual Warhammer...and my first Army was Dark Elves (no witch elves though, corsairs and executioners with chariots and xbows).
I have almost every other game in the Total War series, except the warhammer ones actually.
Ahaha! Picked it.
You can play lokair fellheart as a lord in TWWH2, he has some cool mechanics and makes for a nice themed campaign.

I never had the money for a legit fantasy army when I was into it. Now I can run all the factions, but orcs and wood elves will always be favourites.

Get amongst it!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Metro Exodus is really good - BUT it has gotten very buggy and crashing since I've got to the desert level (Caspian). I think I've almost finished that level now, but I've had to restart it because I got stuck in an area and all the saves were after the point of no return. Also a major event never triggered and that screwed me up too. Anyway, hope the next levels go back to smoothness that was before it.

Also, Doom, Doom II and Doom 3 are all out on console now to celebrate 25 years of Doom. But think I'll leave those memories on PC.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Metro Exodus is really good - BUT it has gotten very buggy and crashing since I've got to the desert level (Caspian). I think I've almost finished that level now, but I've had to restart it because I got stuck in an area and all the saves were after the point of no return. Also a major event never triggered and that screwed me up too. Anyway, hope the next levels go back to smoothness that was before it.

Also, Doom, Doom II and Doom 3 are all out on console now to celebrate 25 years of Doom. But think I'll leave those memories on PC.
Interesting I hit a bug on the final level with no NV or torch so gave up.
Other than that the previous levels were relatively bug-free.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
The wife and I are currently playing through Witcher 3, best $28 I've spent in a long time.
Can't track the number of hours played but it has kept us busy for the last 4 weeks. If Cyberpunk 2077 is as good for the storylines, then they are onto a winner.
I'm thinking of RDR2 next....

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Almost finished Metro Exodus - really not going to get the good ending though!

The Outer Limits will be out in a couple of months, that will be next purchase I imagine.

I'll get to the Witcher series one day, it always gets spoken so highly of.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Anyone played Mx v. Atv All Out? Thoughts?

I've got Reflex, Alive, and Supercross. I like Alive the best so far. Supercross lags the fuck out on the PS4, and Reflex annoys me so much with the suicidal NPCs who come from behind and take you down with the slightest tap in corners or midair.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Anyone played Mx v. Atv All Out? Thoughts?

I've got Reflex, Alive, and Supercross. I like Alive the best so far. Supercross lags the fuck out on the PS4, and Reflex annoys me so much with the suicidal NPCs who come from behind and take you down with the slightest tap in corners or midair.
I nearly bought Mx . vs Atx since I thought it was one of the better ones.

I would like something like the old Xbox/PC Motocross Madness that had the open trails that you can go wherever. The stadium Supercross trails lose my interest too quickly and the freerider stunts that you have to press a bunch of buttons in sequence to do nac nacs and all isn't for me.
Pure on the 360 was quite good too.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I was looking at upgrading my 2014 Macbook pro to a bigger SSD - but then was realising its probably not worth spending a few hundred on it at this point in its life, especially as it cant be upgraded in any other way (e.g. RAM or eGPU). I also can't play anything newer than XCOM on it, and a new mac is kinda out of the question, so looking at PC again.

It's been ~11 years since I built a PC, but I think its time to go back (linux of course!). All the things I do on mac I can do on linux, I've got a steam account with a bunch of compatible games ready to go, and excited about what Proton and distros like Manjaro are doing for linux gaming. Added to that the release of new AMD cpus and gpus, the price of the former generation is really nice, so I'm aiming to build a $1k box as my macbook replacement, but now with an ok GPU so that I can play newer games.

This has turned into a massive time sink - but think I've read enough to get a build sorted now... Looking at a Ryzen 2600 / Rx580 kinda deal.

Just need to convince myself that its worth spending the money now...

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
You might be surprised how well the integrated GPU in Intel CPUs performs. If you’re on a budget to start with it might be worth considering, then fork out for a dedicated GFX card when you can?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
TBH, I haven't even considered intel or looked into them as it all seems to be "ryzen, ryzen, ryzen!" at the moment.

I looked at the AMD APU options, but you do lose a bit with the CPU there for the sake of integrated graphics. (maybe not for intel though?) I'm keen on a decent cpu because I'll also be doing work on this thing - I generally code up statistical and spatial models that benefit from a bit of cpu power. - adding a GPU is just a cheap way of turning it into a gaming platform too :)