The gaming thread

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Doom Eternal is bloody difficult!
meth and/or GIT GUD may be the answer. :p That being said, I am utterly shit at Bloodborne and Nioh, and sometimes just want to derp along at a mediocre level and enjoy whatever I'm playing. BB and Nioh may not be for me, unless I invest lots of time bashing away at them. Some games are worth the learning curve (to me). Some.... I will probably never enjoy. The game might be awesome, but may not be my groove :)

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I get why Doom Eternal is so hard, makes it very rewarding when you clear a section. just wasn't ready for it after playing 2016 at end of last year / start of this year. That was more classic move and shoot kinda battles. This is monitoring resources and selecting targets in right order, and moving and shooting. A few hours in now and finding my groove with the battles, some of the platforming has taken me like 20 goes though!

Can only play in short bursts, too intense for my old brain otherwise. Am starting to love it though.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Serious Sam was so great. Those headless screaming bomb men made zero sense.

Speaking of hard games, I've been out of this for a little while but have been plowing my way through Mafia Definitive Edition. Huge fan of the original so was very keen to see how the new one held up. In short; I'm getting killed. A lot.

F***ing brilliant so far though. One of the more atmospheric games out there. Also has fantastic vehicle / driving physics and crashes.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Pre ordered the disc version and super keen! Cyberpunk is released on PS5 on November 19th so yeah, there goes some long nights on that I'd say.
@Dozer on release there is no specific PS5 version of Cyberpunk so you will be relying on the PS5's ability to upscale the graphics. Just did some research after seeing the advertising in-store yesterday and the PS5 not listed.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
But you just buy the game once yeah? And then there will be a patch or something.
Both Sony and Microsoft have said there will upgrades available if a game is released on PS4 to PS5. The question is how long they will take.
CD Projekt has been concentrating all their efforts on the current-gen given how much is invested in Cyberpunk.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
@Dozer on release there is no specific PS5 version of Cyberpunk so you will be relying on the PS5's ability to upscale the graphics. Just did some research after seeing the advertising in-store yesterday and the PS5 not listed.
As @droenn said, the PS4 version works on the PS5 but with no intention of it being a PS5 version, safe to call it another backwards compatible title I reckon but yes; there is talk of a PS5 enhanced version upgrade coming eventually.
I was thinking it over on the weekend and I'm not that super pumped on the PS5 to the point that I don't really mind if my pre order gets delayed or whatever. More cool titles will come but just now I'm more keen for Cyberpunk than the PS5.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
As @droenn said, the PS4 version works on the PS5 but with no intention of it being a PS5 version, safe to call it another backwards compatible title I reckon but yes; there is talk of a PS5 enhanced version upgrade coming eventually.
I was thinking it over on the weekend and I'm not that super pumped on the PS5 to the point that I don't really mind if my pre order gets delayed or whatever. More cool titles will come but just now I'm more keen for Cyberpunk than the PS5.
Was thinking the same. Other than AC Valhalla which will run as a PS5 native game from day 0 there is no other reason personally to get it immediately

Minlak

custom titis
So I watch some streamers on Twitch as a time filler - I like the GTA V Role Play stuff especially the No Pixel Guys (Summit 1G - LordKebun - Jobless Garret - Koil) - One of the streamers plays a character called Chang - He is the leader of the Chang Gang and the streamer LordKebun uses an asian ish accent that he does completely with his own voice (not using a voice changer or anything) - He has been playing this character for a very long time and its not like most people would even know who he is.
It seems that some people have taken it into their minds that is offensive and cultural misappropriation and started targeting his sponsers and in fact twitch themselves to the point that he has been told by Twitch that he will be banned if he doesn't change the voice. (insert convoluted storyline here on how he is solving the issue but I wont bore you with that)

My concern is I wonder how long it will be before actual game play and games are impacted by the need to be woke and to seem politically correct and non exploitive - Like we cant have that battlefield game as it shows the enemy in a poor light - or there isn't enough female characters etc.

There has already been changes to planned and current releases to seem more progressive in adopting roles - I am pretty sure it Apex Legends when creating character bios made one of the toons a lesbian so they seemed more in touch - So is this what happens next? Characters will all nood acceptable bios or we cant play them?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
So I watch some streamers on Twitch as a time filler - I like the GTA V Role Play stuff especially the No Pixel Guys (Summit 1G - LordKebun - Jobless Garret - Koil) - One of the streamers plays a character called Chang - He is the leader of the Chang Gang and the streamer LordKebun uses an asian ish accent that he does completely with his own voice (not using a voice changer or anything) - He has been playing this character for a very long time and its not like most people would even know who he is.
It seems that some people have taken it into their minds that is offensive and cultural misappropriation and started targeting his sponsers and in fact twitch themselves to the point that he has been told by Twitch that he will be banned if he doesn't change the voice. (insert convoluted storyline here on how he is solving the issue but I wont bore you with that)

My concern is I wonder how long it will be before actual game play and games are impacted by the need to be woke and to seem politically correct and non exploitive - Like we cant have that battlefield game as it shows the enemy in a poor light - or there isn't enough female characters etc.

There has already been changes to planned and current releases to seem more progressive in adopting roles - I am pretty sure it Apex Legends when creating character bios made one of the toons a lesbian so they seemed more in touch - So is this what happens next? Characters will all nood acceptable bios or we cant play them?
Umm so what? The streamer is being told to cut the cheesy accent or lose his sponsorship. He can continue running the Chang Gang or continue being paid.

Same goes with game developers. If they do games that people don't like... they don't get paid. Where's the problem?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Get woke, go broke?

In its simplest form, Minlak is expressing concern over cancel culture reaching its insidious little hands into the entertainment. It's indisidious because it's a way of creating consequences (usually financial) for people over what could be best be described as a minor greivance. There's also a bit of a gross double standard to it.

Should these guys have their paycheck cut for going through the effort to voice coach themselves to use particular accents or ideolects?

But in either case, just go re-play Deus Ex, it is scary how prophetic the happenings in that game are.
I get it, but I still fail to see the problem. If you don't like it, vote with your wallet and go and buy Postal 1-4, actually no forget that get Carmageddon.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
My daughter would like a new tablet for her Birthday. Mainly to play games like Minecraft and Roblox. The Samsung Tab4 we have has a shot battery and is glitchy. Does anyone know the Lenovo range of tablets? I'm looking at the Lenovo Tab M10 FHD V2 for about $330. It seems reasonably powerful and reviews well. Any other recommendations Android based tablets in this price range?

Minlak

custom titis
My daughter would like a new tablet for her Birthday. Mainly to play games like Minecraft and Roblox. The Samsung Tab4 we have has a shot battery and is glitchy. Does anyone know the Lenovo range of tablets? I'm looking at the Lenovo Tab M10 FHD V2 for about $330. It seems reasonably powerful and reviews well. Any other recommendations Android based tablets in this price range?
Don't do it get a Samsung again - I had to RA so many Lenovo tablets and explain to so many customers why there Lenovo tablet was slow. Lenovo also likes to do this thing where they release an update to protect you but screw it all up - recently they released an updated to change all the encryption requirements on the tablets and blocked heaps of them from accessing customers wifi.

The good news is Lenovo have no current repair process so if its in warranty when it has an issue you just get a new replacement.