The gaming thread

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Upgraded from an old 32" 720p TV to a 43" 4K TV. Can't believe that's the smallest you can go now - it looks massive in our small living area.
Anyway, ready for RDR2! Will just play a bit more through Far Cry5 now I can see things clearly

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
So, I had to buy a new PS4. My previous machine was randomly spitting the disc out every now and then and it shits me. With the new PS4 came a disc copy of Spiderman (potential game of the year for me) of which I already have so................
If anyone wants to buy a brand new copy of the game, its yours for $40 including courier delivery. I will sell the PS4 as well, just keep it mind it randomly ejects the disc. That bad boy can be yours for $150 with courier delivery and cables.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Loot box is full ( rumour is doubling of storage on the 11th with 3rd patch, second patch due 4th);
Wish it would retain lesser quests after quieting or dropping out... thats starting to shit me!

Level 15 with power armour, but shitty weapons

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Loot box is full ( rumour is doubling of storage on the 11th with 3rd patch, second patch due 4th);
Wish it would retain lesser quests after quieting or dropping out... thats starting to shit me!

Level 15 with power armour, but shitty weapons
I read the same thing, here's hoping it is way bigger. I hoped they'd move the ability to repair power armor to a lower level but no mention of it yet.
I got the best cache of weapons yet at the Top of the World. There's a Trading Post right next to the very top gondola but be warned, its full of level 40 and even level 54 Scorched. I managed to take them all out with a shotgun but had to shoot them pretty much point blank in the face to damage them. Once you've killed them all you will pick up higher level weapons, grenade launchers etc etc. That adjoining town also has another power armor and fusion core but the town is a big spend on ammo as it is full of level 40 scorched. If you can sneak around them, you'll be right.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
So, I had to buy a new PS4. My previous machine was randomly spitting the disc out every now and then and it shits me. With the new PS4 came a disc copy of Spiderman (potential game of the year for me) of which I already have so................
If anyone wants to buy a brand new copy of the game, its yours for $40 including courier delivery. I will sell the PS4 as well, just keep it mind it randomly ejects the disc. That bad boy can be yours for $150 with courier delivery and cables.
My PS4 randomly ejected too...as in a disc would eject after 10 minutes randomly. I fixed it pretty easily. I pulled out the skinny rubber strip that sits on the base of the PS4 under the eject button and I also put small felt feet on the base of the PS4 at the front corners to raise it slightly off the ground. The rubber strip apparently sometimes swells up with the heat of the PS4 and causes drama with the eject button.

Last edited:

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
So I am thinking of buying an Xbox One S. I already have access to a PS4 but technically it is my sons and he always uses it which is fair enough. Any reasons I shouldnt buy an Xbox? I cant afford the X and don't see the point so the S it definitely is.

I dont want a 2nd PS4 even though it kinda makes sense because of the game collection we already have... but I kinda have my heart set on the Xbox and just buy a select few games such as Red dead and Fallout 76.....oh and Halo. I am even more excited because Xbox is backwards compatible which means I can play Fallout NV.

So any genuine reasons why I shouldn't buy an Xbox? Thanks!

bear the bear

Is a real bear
So I am thinking of buying an Xbox One S. I already have access to a PS4 but technically it is my sons and he always uses it which is fair enough. Any reasons I shouldnt buy an Xbox? I cant afford the X and don't see the point so the S it definitely is.

I dont want a 2nd PS4 even though it kinda makes sense because of the game collection we already have... but I kinda have my heart set on the Xbox and just buy a select few games such as Red dead and Fallout 76.....oh and Halo. I am even more excited because Xbox is backwards compatible which means I can play Fallout NV.

Both are pretty much equal ATM in terms of computing power etc
Which controller shape do you prefer?
Also is there a particular exclusive which is available to only one that might throw the decision?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Go for it. If you get the annual subscription to Xbox Live you get the free monthly games like you do on Playstation Plus too. They have some good games each month.
I had an Xbox One and never touched it, I tried to make myself interested in some of the exclusive stuff (Halo, Gears of War etc) but it's just mindless junk that means you point and shoot at anything that moves. I'm not saying Playstation is better in that sense but the menu layout is way better, the store is far easier to navigate and the controller is much more comfortable. Playstation all the way for me.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
yeah, they are both good - if you've got a PS4 in the house, grab an xbox.

I chose xbox because I only have one friend and thats what they use

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I'll buy a PC when half life 3 comes out!

I was a big PC gamer all through my teens and 20s, we use to do the whole Quake 1 LAN party thing in the 90s, running BNC w/coaxial cable, daisy-chaining our heavy beige boxes and CRT monitors together.

I built a few PCs since then (like when HL2 came out, Doom, Fallout 3 etc) and I do love that part of obsessing over components and the build day/weekend.

But these days I spend all of my work day + more on a PC - console is nice because I can just flop on the couch and play a game, rather than know my emails and unfinished projects are lurking behind the game window...

And you grow out of the benchmarking phase, and just appreciate things running fine from the time you load them up.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Second hand deals will get you there without a doubt.
But even then, you don't need to stretch the budget that much further buying new to get better performance than a console. Just spend big on your GPU and get entry level mobo, CPU and RAM, pop on a HDD and nail a case with PSU, job done. What you spend extra you'll save on PC game purchasing deals within the first year alone. I don't even buy games these days, I have a subscription to Humble bundle that costs me about $15AUD and I get more titles than I can play in a month alone. Not even mentioning steam sales. Come to think of it, I have keys for a few games I'm never gonna play if people are interested.

This month I just got the latest Metal Gear Solid, Cities XL and all DLC etc.
https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly

I don't know how you could stomach a console, you have to pay more to play the title on a platform that is worse. Anyway, my 2c, I've always been PC though, so bias noted.
Not everyone wants to build a gaming pc, hence why some prefer Apple over Android for phones... sometimes plug and play works just fine