The gaming thread

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I would recommend EVE online as well, because it's amazing.
But it's also a second job and will consume you if you get into it. I have to be super careful with my MMO's, min/maxing and planning stuff out just sucks me in. Always the ones with a high skill ceiling and subsequent time investment though, truly it's a disease.
Have some kids. That will cure that problem.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
For people that own an Xbox, are you subsribed to Game pass? For $10 a month it kinda looks worth it, especially seeing there are a lot of games on there that I'd love to try.

Or is it just worth buying the game instead and that way I've got it forever? I kinda feel like Game pass acts as a tester/trial/renter sort of thing (like Netflix) where the game titles are slowly removed and replaced over time, is this true?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
@Dozer Been putting together a basket for a new PC build since our recent conversation.
Credit where it's due; I started toying with a budget build, try the PS4 Pro challenge, and if I can make something better for as much, and it's proven trickier than I had originally anticipated.

That being said, got a little "budget" friendly option that clocks in at the $800 mark. Could shave a little off in places if need be, but that includes a full built tower (case, PSU, GPU, CPU, Mobo, RAM, and SSD) into the cost. It's also current generation equipment, and the GPU comes with 3x Brand New AAA titles as well, and performance wise would bench about +50% more than the PS4 Pro (costs 50% more as well though).
Still, as a matter of pride, I feel I might just put a buy list together that fits the criteria and matches the $530AUD budget a PS4 Pro clocks in with.

As an aside, my new build has now hit the $1500 mark, but it doesn't cut any corners (well, a few actually, but the $$ investment for the performance increase beyond that is retarded). RAM got expensive since I last built a machine, especially if you want the 3000MHz+ DIMMS!!!
Oh yeah? That sounds more like something I'd go for, thanks for the leg work. ;)

As an update to my Fallout 76 escapades; I love it. It's a really cool game and I'm totally engrossed. I actually love randomly bumping into someone else during the game as it feels like I am in the wasteland randomly wandering around. There's another update today too so hopefully that cures the last of the current issues.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Oh yeah? That sounds more like something I'd go for, thanks for the leg work. ;)

As an update to my Fallout 76 escapades; I love it. It's a really cool game and I'm totally engrossed. I actually love randomly bumping into someone else during the game as it feels like I am in the wasteland randomly wandering around. There's another update today too so hopefully that cures the last of the current issues.
Console update has been pushed out to the 13th now.
Creatures of note:
Lvl 62 scorched @ golf course;
Lvl 50 scorched beast that decided to sit above my camp for 1/2 hr;
Lvl 65 Mothman (I shot him accidentally and paid the price)

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Opened a pub on Conan Exiles.
Actually had an interesting little thing happen. I leave the doors open overnight so as not to get raided to shit (if they can get in, they can get everything anyway, so place wont get trashed).
Not many people have the brewing feats, largely a waste of points but the drinks aren't bad if you have the patience. Anyway, logged in and someone had nicked off with ALL my hops, leavening agent and purified water, as well as eaten all the food and booze I had there. Checked log, found out who it was. Told the server that I've had to close because of the thief, need to go get more ingredients, no drinks for everybody...holy shit!!! The clan leader of the member was down there in a second returning all the stuff after the server seemed to begin banding together ready to raid his castle to get my booze making back.
I think the line that really did it was "He even stole the ice from my cool box!!", never seen so many people up in arms so quickly.

Good times in old Hyboria!!
View attachment 349593
Hey Zaf, Conan Exiles looks good, but is it essentially about stealing other peoples' stuff? That could grate pretty heavily...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Sorry, back on the PC build discussion. A Software Engineering mate from Uni sent me this link. For anyone interested in their own builds.
Benchmarking sites have also gotten infinitely better these days, showing $/FPS figures for the most cost effective cards, as well as $/W for the ones that are more power efficient. Gotta love some min/maxing of parts you choose.
I'm not a gamer or into PC kit but wow - great effort went into that resource!

Reactions: Zaf

droenn

Fat Man's XC President

Fallout 76 on suicide watch. Another new Obsidian IP on it's way.
This didn't click at first, but now super excited!

In a perfect world Cyberpunk 2077 and this game will be awesome and tie me over between RDR2 and the next Elder Scrolls.