The gaming thread

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Put together my new PC over the weekend: Ryzen 3600 on a b450m mobo w/RX580 running Manjaro.

First build in a long time (I think 11-12 years) - but it was very straighforward, went together and booted first time. I had no idea how small the nvme drives are - so fast too, whole machine boots in a few seconds after bios.

Exploring the protonDB and lutris capabilities while I'm on leave. Will set it up for work stuff later!

Installing a bunch of my old Steam games, but whats a newish FPS I can try it out on? I was thinking Rage 2 but its currently $75 (so much for PC games being cheaper). Maybe I'll just put DOOM on it.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Put together my new PC over the weekend: Ryzen 3600 on a b450m mobo w/RX580 running Manjaro.

First build in a long time (I think 11-12 years) - but it was very straighforward, went together and booted first time. I had no idea how small the nvme drives are - so fast too, whole machine boots in a few seconds after bios.

Exploring the protonDB and lutris capabilities while I'm on leave. Will set it up for work stuff later!

Installing a bunch of my old Steam games, but whats a newish FPS I can try it out on? I was thinking Rage 2 but its currently $75 (so much for PC games being cheaper). Maybe I'll just put DOOM on it.
Always put doom on it. Always.

If you haven't yet, do a benchmark on the nvme drive vs an sata SSD vs an antique spinning HDD.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Always put doom on it. Always.

If you haven't yet, do a benchmark on the nvme drive vs an sata SSD vs an antique spinning HDD.

Seems its about 10 times faster, but need to figure out how the cache is working on it when using hdparm and dd in the terminal.

Loaded Doom - glorious 60 fps at 1080p (monitor limited) at highest settings, and very quick load times. Makes for a much nicer experience than on the Xbox.

Also loaded the Witcher 2, and even for a 8 year old game with highest settings, the graphics card really gets fired up to maintain over 60 fps. Guess I'm going to play through this to get onto the Witcher 3 now (taken me long enough!)

Finished Witcher 3. On to RDR2, the wife doesn't like shooting games as much so really hoping the story is good
It's great, very different pace to a shooter. I've left the last 2% of the game coz I just don't want to finish it, still lots of open world shit to do. Explore explore explore.

Best I can describe it is like playing a movie

droenn

Fat Man's XC President

Will grab this one soon - 2019 game in the Build Engine (Duke 3d, Shadow Warrior etc). Looks great!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
LOL, #metoo.
Played BL2 with him and have been waiting for this one, great fun!
Ditto! Is BL3 much different/better?

Been sneaking in a couple of hours here and there playing Sniper Elite 4 Italia which was a freebie for PS+ members last month. The graphical slow motion destruction of brains, eyeballs, hearts, lungs and livers gets a bit tiring, but those testicle shots are worth it! I didn’t know you could kill a dude by shooting his balls off though.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Yeah, same but better
This is heartening.

BL1 didn't quite feel right

BL2 was amazing, played it through a second time with the kids when I got Krieg

Pre sequel was missing something? Or had too much? I dunno, just wasn't as fun as 2

Hoping for glorious awesomeness from 3, but I'll do my usual tightass thing and wait for it to be on sale is there a psycho playable character again? Krieg was ace fun!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Can grab XCOM 2 for $15 over at Humble at the moment:

Loved the first one (well, the reboot, played a little of the originals a kid, but don't really remember them), might try and get through the base version of 2 and then get the expansion at a later date.

Reactions: Zaf