The gaming thread

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
decided its time to update an 8 year old pc. its worse than buying a bike - add a slightly better graphics card, then it sonly a bit more for extra memory, before you know it you've convinced yourself you need a s-works to potter to the shops. if only I could work on the xbox as well as play games

Calvin27

Eats Squid
decided its time to update an 8 year old pc. its worse than buying a bike - add a slightly better graphics card, then it sonly a bit more for extra memory, before you know it you've convinced yourself you need a s-works to potter to the shops. if only I could work on the xbox as well as play games
You're doing it wrong. You go to Whirlpool forums, state a price and what games you usually play / want to play. They practically spec it for you lol.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You're doing it wrong. You go to Whirlpool forums, state a price and what games you usually play / want to play. They practically spec it for you lol.
I did that last time and took the spec to a local shop and asked could they match it. I think they did it for about $50 more including build. Right now I'm thinking going with a pre-built one from pccg, mwave or scorptec. also need to be sure it'll run triple monitors including an ultrawide centre ok.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I built a Ryzen 3600 system recently for around $1K - spent ages trying to blend performance and price, ended up with:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 4 GB PULSE Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Could have probably spent more on the GPU but its been pretty sweet thus far.

PCpartpicker is a good site to start playing around with configurations.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
So I bought Star Wars battlefront 2 on Origin for $30, thought it was a bargain, well not really. The game wouldn't start. So many forum posts on Origin complaining the new updates caused the game to not start. Have tried every tricks mentioned in the forum, none works. Bloody ripped off. I just want to swing light saber like i used to do in super star wars in super nintendo!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
So I bought Star Wars battlefront 2 on Origin for $30, thought it was a bargain, well not really. The game wouldn't start. So many forum posts on Origin complaining the new updates caused the game to not start. Have tried every tricks mentioned in the forum, none works. Bloody ripped off. I just want to swing light saber like i used to do in super star wars in super nintendo!
It was turning out to be a stinker first up and has had a bunch of changes along the way.

Damn, I have been a bit hooked on the PS4 version. The multiplayer is a lot of fun and plenty of crazy battles in school holidays plus the Japanese contingent popping up in the same timezone. I haven't finished the single player mission yet since big peeewwww peeeewwww multiplayer battles are pretty entertaining.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
To tide me over for another month or so bought a second-hand copy of witcher 2 for the Xbone.
They have done a good job enhancing the graphics as it was originally a Xbox 360 game.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President

Doom 2016 was pretty much a perfect shooter. Kinda worried they're changing too much in the new one, BUT still well excited for it.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
To tide me over for another month or so bought a second-hand copy of witcher 2 for the Xbone.
They have done a good job enhancing the graphics as it was originally a Xbox 360 game.
I sunk about 20 hours into it and just got fed up with not being able to jump and having to run on paths basically.. It does look amazing for its age though and had an interesting story.

I've got Witcher 3 loaded once I get through current games.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski

Doom 2016 was pretty much a perfect shooter. Kinda worried they're changing too much in the new one, BUT still well excited for it.
Looks metal as fark

I'm a little worried too about new mechanics, but I reckon they know their demographic are simple people with simple needs, it'll be a blast

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I sunk about 20 hours into it and just got fed up with not being able to jump and having to run on paths basically.. It does look amazing for its age though and had an interesting story.

I've got Witcher 3 loaded once I get through current games.
From memory Witcher 3 is 75-100hrs plus the two DLC's which are significant so set aside a good month to six weeks to get through it

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Playing The Witcher now. Got Witcher 2 and 3 as well. Started with the 3rd one just because of better graphics, but the story makes no sense, so went back to the 1st one. Having a hard time with the battle system, just not used to it.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Playing The Witcher now. Got Witcher 2 and 3 as well. Started with the 3rd one just because of better graphics, but the story makes no sense, so went back to the 1st one. Having a hard time with the battle system, just not used to it.
First one's only on PC, isn't it?

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Well I got battlefront 2 working. I've had to redownload the entire 86GB for it to work. Finished the 1st single player campaign, and gosh i love just being able to swing a lightsaber and fire a blaster! Haven't tried the multiplayer yet. Will do soon.