The gaming thread

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Any system specs?
A report indicates that costly components for Sony's upcoming console have driven the manufacturing costs up to around USD $450 per unit. Unnamed sources also note that the company is yet to confirm retail pricing, perhaps waiting to see what Microsoft announces for the Xbox Series X. A high production cost should be of no surprise, given the PlayStation 5 will boast a solid state drive for storage and hardware accelerated ray-tracing. However the spike in production costs has come from a scarcity of DRAM and NAND flash memory which aren't just in demand by Sony or Microsoft, but also companies like Samsung which is in the process of launching a new generation of smartphones.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
you'd have to be able to get the console and a game under 1K at most if you want it to go under the Christmas tree so this is a likely intro price
The early adopters penalty. My PS4 came with my Sony phone on a plan so I had nothing to grumble about.

As much as it might be tempting to buy early, it is best to wait and n' see which ones gets market traction and the better games.
I don't get at all excited about pre-ordering any game at premium price that could easily become as stinker later on. Why bother........at lerast see if the reviews well before spending time on it.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
The anticipation of a new Gran Turismo or Forza are the only thing that get me half keen on buying a new console but I don't play enough to warrant it. I only have a basic Xbox One, been having thoughts about a PS4 to try out GT Sport but can't justify it. If the next GT gives me that warm feeling GT2 and 3 gave me I'll be tempted.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
PS5 will be a winner, but, yes, no point buying early. Unless it comes free with a TV
I'd put my money on the PS5 too. I wonder how much the VR will be improved too.
Sure seems interesting but I have mostly been disappointed with VR I've fiddled with earlier.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Anyone playing doom eternal yet?

I usually don't buy at launch, why pay full price when it'll be half that in a month right? On a whim I shelled out the full $99 on steam yesterday - holy crap, this game

The gore. The soundtrack. The gameplay. The soundtrack. The satisfying whallop all the weapons have. The soundtrack!

It's got some minor niggles for me, but maybe that's just the slight deviations from 2016 that I'll get used to with a little more time. But even with them it's easily the best fps I've played.

I'ma go cuddle my little cacodemon plushy now, and hope I go into lockdown soon for some serious game time

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Will get into Doom Eternal soon, but having another bash at 2016 while the nerd community gets it working with proton / steamplay (to run on linux). Think its almost there now with AMD cards, so should be sweet.

Finally jumped into the Witcher 3 after installing it a while back - that stupid Nvidia hair rendering thing can fuck off - couldn't work out why it was running like shit at first...

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Thinking of getting a PS4 to play exclusive PS games like Kingdom Hearts and the upcoming Ff7 remake. I have a switch and gaming pc already at home. Still undecided given the rumours that these games will sooner or later be ported to PC or switch anyway. Rumors...some come true some not..

I was also thinking maybe the PS4 is an upgrade to my 5 years old PC running R9 280 GPU. It's struggling to play any modern game like Assasin' creeds odyssey on high settings 1920x1080. Have to go down to low settings these days. I figured it's not gonna get any better for any future games.
Was thinking of upgrading the GPU, but they're all very expensive these days! The high end one at least..

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I was also thinking maybe the PS4 is an upgrade to my 5 years old PC running R9 280 GPU. It's struggling to play any modern game like Assasin' creeds odyssey on high settings 1920x1080. Have to go down to low settings these days. I figured it's not gonna get any better for any future games.
Was thinking of upgrading the GPU, but they're all very expensive these days! The high end one at least..
I was thinking the same on either keeping with a PC for gaming or console. I have first started with PC gaming and didn't have much for consoles but they just make things so much easier and less chance of elite Haxx0rs cheating in games. They seem to squeeze a lot out of the hardware.

The console game libraries are big and cheap and overall works damn well.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I was thinking the same on either keeping with a PC for gaming or console. I have first started with PC gaming and didn't have much for consoles but they just make things so much easier and less chance of elite Haxx0rs cheating in games. They seem to squeeze a lot out of the hardware.

The console game libraries are big and cheap and overall works damn well.
I started off on console with PS1 and PS2. Then I went down the PC path during the PS3 era, as steam was the king of affordable games. Games were somewhow cheaper in steam and GOG back then, not anymore. I can walk into a local shop these days and buy star wars for $75 while steam is stuck on $80 or $90 something, with occasional 10-20% off.

I was also intrigued by how the supposedly inferior GPU on the PS4 pro is able to cope with 4k gaming (ok some games) while my gpu struggles at medium setting at 1080p. Sounds like developers are optimising console games but poorly port them to PC.