The gaming thread

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
steam for the indie games. spectre knight, shovel knight, ori's and the blind forest etc.

Apparently the new doom is phenomenal on PC though. My laptop will implode if I try, but a mate with a decent rig is all over it.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I was also intrigued by how the supposedly inferior GPU on the PS4 pro is able to cope with 4k gaming (ok some games) while my gpu struggles at medium setting at 1080p. Sounds like developers are optimising console games but poorly port them to PC.
I think that has been an old age problem. Why my $'n'k gaming PC can't keep up with <insert console name> always heard the story that PC software is made for general use - like you don't have a need for printer on a console - while consoles are made to do one thing and one thing only. Makes sense but now with hardware being so fast and parallel then you think the gap would close a bit more.

I guess have one console platform the optimise code for over having loads of different PC hardware and software combinations has to be big factor. My humble standard PS4 sure can do some beautiful stuff and can only imagine what the next gen ones will do. Having access to a big library of games is also a plus.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
steam for the indie games. spectre knight, shovel knight, ori's and the blind forest etc.

Apparently the new doom is phenomenal on PC though. My laptop will implode if I try, but a mate with a decent rig is all over it.
I bought Doom (2016) on both Xbox one and PC. There is just no comparison in terms of gameplay and graphics. Mouse + kb allows you to play at higher difficulties and have it look pretty AF. Imagine new one will be the same.

Steam have decent sales, you just need to commit to playing games once they have been out for a while

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hadn't got hooked on any games since Battlefield II on pc, my teen daughter has been playing Apex Legends on PS4 for about 6 months and is an absolute demon (in my eyes at least) I struggled with the PS4 controller for a while, now I'm finally getting a few kills

clockworked

Like an orange
So I've got a pc that should play most things these days hopefully. Bought it as a work computer, but couldn't help buying a game spec system just in case
What should a non-gamer look at playing during this lockdown. Love fallout and gran turismo.
Red dead 2? Outer worlds? Witcher? Fallout again?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
So I've got a pc that should play most things these days hopefully. Bought it as a work computer, but couldn't help buying a game spec system just in case
What should a non-gamer look at playing during this lockdown. Love fallout and gran turismo.
All good options - you can get all the Witchers for cheap here: https://www.gog.com/promo/2020_springsale_witcher (4 hours to go!)

I think I posted a while back I liked Witcher 2, but got sick of running on paths after a while... Witcher 3 looks amazing for a 5 year old game.

Bunch of car games over at Humble (I know nothing about them though): https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...out_type_twos_tile_index_2_c_justdrive_bundle

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Have a look at the borderlands games. Borderlands 2 or 3 (or the whole kit if it's on special) are the better ones, 1 & pre sequel just not as good.

Huuuuge amount of gameplay for your money in single player or co-op. So much of that vicious cycle - "just finish this mission" then "ooh, shiney new gun, let's see what it can do" then "just finish this mission".

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another day of reseating ram on an old pc, watched prices on some models jump $300 after 2 other recent price rises and decided to pull the trigger on a new pc and monitors. Uncertainty on hardware is making prices go crazy. Working 100% at home it was time anyway

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Have a look at the borderlands games. Borderlands 2 or 3 (or the whole kit if it's on special) are the better ones, 1 & pre sequel just not as good.
I've played some of the prequel and quite liked it. Wil have to hit it up again.

What is the verdict on the Borderlands series? Which is the must-play in that family

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Just finished The Outer Worlds. It was pretty underwhelming which is disappointing given how great Fallout New Vegas was. Unfortunately Obsidian managed to replicate all the bad parts of F:NV (constant loading screens, repetitive locations, idiotic AI and poorly structured quests) without carrying over all the great things

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I've played some of the prequel and quite liked it. Wil have to hit it up again.

What is the verdict on the Borderlands series? Which is the must-play in that family
#2 for me

Enjoying 3, but doesn't have quite the same vibe I guess? Really loved playing as Krieg in 2, the psycho, fleshed that game out nicely. 2 also comes in pretty cheap, and can be had with all the DLC packs for less than 3 still I think.

I started out enjoying the pre sequel. Aussie voice acting and jokes about the moon being "up over" were a sweet novelty. But I ended up opting for a 2nd playthrough of 2 instead of finishing it because I think I just got sick of managing oxygen and the extra elemental weapons?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Nobody actually says that though. My gaming system is, at its core, 13 years old now, with a newer GPU slapped into it (bought second hand) about two years ago. The main thing that is making it feel long in the tooth is the HDD load times over what SS D's manage today. I've been talking about upgrading for a while now...still haven't.

As you can see from my earlier posts of Kingdom Come: Deliverance, I'm managing 40fps standard on a custom mix of settings, without issue at a 2560x1080. But have a look at the image quality and features enabled. The consoles are "optimised" by cutting features; you'll lose all the higher end ambient occlusion, shaders and volumetric effects and run lower base texture resolutions and maps...and oh my God the jaggies!

Gooooooooood luck finding any current Gen console that can handle that!

If you don't believe me on system specs I'll post a screenshot of them later. But from memory an early Gen AMD 6-core and still DDR3 memory and an AMD 270X (can't even remember).
Yeah, this is what I figured the difference was.

With a console you get a Hawaiian pizza. It's pretty big and it's still a pizza, but that's all you get. With a PC you pick whatever the fuck pizza you want, you'll pay through the nose for a family size supreme, but you have that option.

...holy crap how haven't you upgraded to ssd though?!