The GoPro HD All You Need To Know Thread

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate, I'm going for it :thumb: They are on ebay too, same price, free delivery. I went to a couple local shops but they won't budge on their price :noidea: so I will go through Pushys!
Missed out again :doh: went to get it and they bumped up the price. So bought a Silver instead. It will do everything I want anyway. Can't wait!

And while I think about it, be careful if you buy a Gopro on Ebay as when I went to buy one there was at least 4 new accounts open in one day that were selling Gopros for insanely low prices with free delivery, they had 0% feedback yet advertised themselves as 'Power sellers' with 100% feedback etc. I even emailed one asking a couple questions and never heard back. They may be legit but to me they looked very dodgy.

Last edited:

Grrilla

Likes Bikes
Thought I'd throw this up in case anyone is interested - I've got a Go Pro Black with most of the accessories.
  • They are very picky with memory cards. Get the best quality one you can, otherwise they have a tendency to freeze etc.
  • LCD touch screen is a bit laggy, but still worth it. Makes it so much easier to get the right camera angle and navigate through the settings.
  • Try and set the camera in it's case in the dryest environment possible, this will help reduce the risk of fogging.
  • If you mount it on a Chesty for riding, I would suggest using the little extension piece and aiming it slightly higher than you think you need - this is especially so for DH. Otherwise you end up with a motion-sickness inducing view of your handlebars and shocks.
  • The Floaty backpac is a camera-saver if you're going in the water - the GoPro doesn't really float by itself!
  • Get a spare battery, especially if you have the LCD screen and remote - it will blow through the battery in about 30 minutes at full power!
  • I found the wrist strap virtually useless for putting around your wrist - I only ever use it by putting my hand through it like a grip. If anyone knows how to set it up properly, please enlighten me!
  • Don't throw out the flat plate it comes mounted on in the box - this is actually really good if you just want to sit the camera somewhere and film, I use it a lot in the gym.
  • If you can afford it, get the Black edition - the Silver is essentially a Hero2 in a smaller box.
  • For storage of the camera and accessories, I use a Kingchrome shock/water/dust resistant case I picked up from Bunnings for about $60 - comes with a foam insert and you pick all the foam out in the configuration that you want it.
  • Lastly, take your GoPro everywhere, you'll be surprised how often you can use it!

That's about all I can think of for now.. I also found this link http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/ really handy for explaining all the different setup options.

Ohhhh one last thing - considering the number of problems I have had and seen with GoPros, I would actually suggest getting it from somewhere like JB Hifi - the extra $20 or so was worth it when my new camera died after two weeks and I could just drop in and have it swapped over.

Grrilla

Last edited:

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can anyone suggest some free (or cheap) image stabilising software ? I'm not sure if that will deal with the really rough bits of footage but I wouldn't mind trying something anyway.

Thanks

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Protune and settings question

Ignore the heading... Does anyone else's wifi turn on when they charge their gopro? I assume its wifi as the blue light starts flashing as soon as I plug it in.

Last edited:

MountainBikeMike

Likes Dirt
I want to set something up that allows me to film a run, get back to the car and check the fottage straight away by somehow plugging the GoPro or the SD card into my Iphone and watch the footage. Has anyone done this with their Iphone?
Buy a tablet with an sd card slot not an ipad. Even if its some shit cheap one of ebay

markb84

Likes Dirt
Buy a tablet with an sd card slot not an ipad. Even if its some shit cheap one of ebay
He didn't mention iPad dude, he's asking how to do it on his iPhone.

Yes you can do it. There are SD/Mini SD to iPhone adapters, both for the old type and the iPhone 5 lightning connectors.

@Grrilla thanks for all those tips.

i got a chest mount for downhill riding.. i am a beginner but i find its too unstable over rough areas, the video is really hard to watch. I find mounting on the side or above helmet a better option for video recording. Maybe as i get better my body wont bounce around as much though.

Does anyone know where i can buy the little cover on the gopro that covers the sd slot? i seem to have lost mine.

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have been given 2 free go pros for a rally that I am part of for, it goes for 6 weeks and due to the nature I need to be very light on gear.

What is the best way to transfer from the go pro's to a portable hardrive, do I need a laptop or are there any cheap tablets that can do it?

Graydo!

Squid
Just rigged up a cable cam!! Not as fancy pullys but they run so well! Stunned with it, only paid $25 and I have got bits a footage that are so close to looking "semi-professional" haha..

DannyAwesome

Likes Bikes
Has anyone tried any of the non-genuine mounts from ebay? There's heaps of different ones available and they're much cheaper than the genuine gopro ones. I'm just worried they'd be no good..

wombat

Lives in a hole
What is the best way to transfer from the go pro's to a portable hardrive, do I need a laptop or are there any cheap tablets that can do it?
You'd need a tablet with both a card slot and a USB port for the HDD. My transformer has this, but when travelling I found the transfer speed a bit slow to make it very nice to use. It worked, but it wouldn't be my first choice, unless you already own the tablet (which I did).

Best option is probably one of those little portable HDD backup units with card readers built in. They're not cheap from what I've seen previously but I doubt they'd be dearer than the sort of tablet you;d need to do the job anyway.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Right so, I bought the wifi remote and backpack combo for my Hero 2. I needed to update the camera itself and by Gopro's instructions I had to install the Cineform program and update my wares that way. My camera has worked 100% fine since new but once I plugged it into my computer and launched it in the Cineform program it shit itself and has not worked since. I've looked through solutions on Google, have contacted Gopro and they've suggested a few fixes with no luck. I have now told them that I expect it to be repaired by them with no cost to me as it is clearly an error with their applications causing so many cameras to fail. I foresee some interesting times ahead with me left being burnt by a shitty update program and no camera and Gopro continuing to push a bad product onto the market with no support.

Has anyone tried any of the non-genuine mounts from ebay? There's heaps of different ones available and they're much cheaper than the genuine gopro ones. I'm just worried they'd be no good..
I recently bought a chest mount from Ebay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111062848532?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649) $15 came in about two weeks, Go pro mount slides straight in and it looks exactly the same as the genuine one. The quality seems good and I have had no problems with it in the last month. If you get one, for the best picture I would suggest mounting it upside down with the j-buckle mount (more stable) and flip the image it records in the GoPro settings.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
On my bike I use a tripod mount adapter and use something like this...

_C261C_001.jpg

Costs under $10 all up... the mount sometimes slipped but a couple zip ties fixed that.

In the end you get what you pay for... my set up is only cheap and is restrictive in regards to camera setup/capture angles etc but it does what I want and money is tight.

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 2010 Mac pro won't read the SD card, containing GoPro footage. It's an SD reader, which works for other cameras.

Any Mac users know what I need to update? If anything? It's a GP3. I'm also a little illiterate when it comes to camera based computer issues, so be gentle!
Did you format the card using the GoPro? If you didn't format it at all and just used it, there's a chance it's in a format the mac can't read, but PC and GoPro can..

Try the card in a PC if you can, then transfer videos/photo to a drive formatted on your mac with ExFAT (as long as your files are less than 4GB this will work fine) using disk utility on an empty USB or hard drive. Make sure you don't leave anything important on this drive as it's easier to take it off than to recover it..

You don't need to update anything- it's more than likely a formatting issue. Try all different methods if all this fails to work: MicroSD adaptor -> SD reader, different/new USB cable (had that issue before), charge your GoPro fully then try, etc.