The GoPro thread

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did a quick search, nothing came up.
Hey all,
Im in the market for a GoPro, never had one before. I am not interested in a different brand as I want the freedom to purchase different mounts and accessories in the future.
There are currently 3 different models on the website, Hero4 Black, Hero4 Silver and the Hero Sessions.

I am thinking of going the sessions as I could by several mounts although was wondering if with the shakiness of Downhill would the quality be rubbish and therefore a waste of money. The reviews state that the quality is not as good as the other models which is a given considering they're double the price although second hand could always be an option.

Has anyone had any experience with the session and could recommend it for Downhill or general rough riding.
Also the mounts I am after are; Helmet, Handlebar, Chest and off topic a dog harness.

Please feel free to post links to pictures of snippets of videos (from any model GoPro)

Thanks in advance.
Adam

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also where is the cheapest place to buy new. You would think the obvious answer would be the GoPro website although Amazon and several other popular internet shopping sites are cheaper.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd hold off on the Session mate, I went to get one this week and no-one has stock anywhere, and none on back order. I suspect a new model is on the way.

John U

MTB Precision
They dropped in price significantly just before xmas last year. I got one then. (Session that is)

I'm not the speediest (6.20 down International) but just watched my clip on the TV. Chest mounted it wasn't too shaky. You could see everything that was going on. My riding was rough. The results might be smoother on a faster rider.

Last edited:

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd imagine the session would be fine mounted to your helmet or chest.
In my onion, mounted to the handlebar or anywhere else on the bike over rough stuff, makes for bad footage and thats with a Hero Black 3+.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I've got a Session, use it on the chest mount when wearing an open face, or helmet mounted on the full face.

Here's a sample video of each:

Chest mounted (although angled a little low)
[video=youtube;Zoj7CgyjdCg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zoj7CgyjdCg[/video]

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Why can't you put more than one video in a post? Spastic.

[video=youtube;Zeuwl0vD580]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zeuwl0vD580[/video]

jaseyjase

Likes Bikes
There are a few gopro style copy action cams that get very good reviews, and fairly cheap ie Sj5000 and Xiaomi Yi in particular. So you would be able to use all gopro accessories with them.

I was considering them but I ended up grabbing a Hero 4 Session a few days a go, lightly used off gumtree for $200 with a 32gb card.

Also picked up some aftermarket mounts, mainly chest mount and helmet sticky, roll bar mount to mount on the frame. So ill be looking to test a few different angles.

Keen to grab some footage this weekend, ive also got the original Garmin VIRB thats usually my commuter cam, i find the garmin virb mounts are more solid because of the 'teeth' between the mounts. I guess they need that cos the virb weigh more than twice that of the gopro!

Ive actually tried using the virb once, mounted on the handlebars, and as said above, its a no no. Completely vomit inducing from all the side to side movement. Really needs to be mounted in a more stable location, ie chest, helmet, frame.

hakka

Likes Dirt
I get pretty good results from the handlebar mount, theres also some reverse saddle mount & chest mount in there. Hero4 silver

[video=youtube_share;MxTwX6SRdzM]https://youtu.be/MxTwX6SRdzM[/video]

jarrod839

Banned
The session was purely designed as a helmet mount only cam the reason its small and light weight. But can be clearly used with any mount or purpose.
If your after a gopro for multiple sports or adventures then look at the hero 4.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I got a session for my birthday last month, this was my first test video at Stromlo.

I decided that the image quality was more than good enough for what I wanted to do. The compact package, simplicity, fact it is already waterproof without a case, ability to take 1080p at 60fps were enough to convince me.

[video=youtube;o69WZ-xf63c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o69WZ-xf63c[/video]

Last edited:

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The session seems value for money and suitable for most people just wanting to record there rides to look back on themselves. I bought the session although wish I spent the same money on a Hero4 off gumtree. I bought off the GoPro site which comes with a 30 day money back guarantee so if its worth upgrading I will.

Also I have been told there is a new model coming out.

The chest mount is so good and looks like the best spot for the go pro to be in a crash!

Warp

Likes Dirt
No GoPro but I'm happy with the Sony I got on discount at JB Hifi.

There are not many mounts around but then, bikes are somewhat awkward to mount a camera on.

I rigged this mount made from Bunnings supplies and it works a charm.

Sort of Endor forest type of view. Just be mindful of sudden changes of direction.

DSC_0296_1.jpg

mtn_bike_geek

Super Moderator
If you're interested in the GoPro 5 Black, check out the Garmin Virb Ultra 30! Pratically the same specs across the board, with the added bonus of Garmin's G-Metrix (speed, elevation, air time, etc)

I'll be posting a review of one within the next few weeks

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ended up going with the Session for $300. Can't fault it, very good quality when riding trails and watching playback on a 13" Macbook. Maybe I'm not riding aggressive enough!

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
One day, there'll be a camera that actually makes steep shit look steep. I can't wait until I can watch some insane GoPro footage through a VR headset, and also experience the feeling that I'm sure to die.