The great bike shortage of 2020

link1896

Mr Greenfield
As if 2020 hasn’t fucked with us enough yet, here is what Merida are telling dealers with regards to supply of new bikes. I had heard this verbally from a few store owners with regards to many brands, and was sent this tonight, the dates are eye watering:

“here is a post from one of my suppliers, this is not funny im afraid

COVID-19
Supply Chain Update

The pandemic caused a surge in global bike demand, wiping out retailer stock, distributor stock and put pressure on the supply chain.

Component lead times are stretching way out into the future for new orders:

Fox will no longer quote a lead time
Rock Shox quote 250 days
Suntour and Tektro quote 210 days
Shimano stating July to October ‘21 with many dates already in calendar year ‘22

With this level of uncertainty there is no clear indication when MY22 will arrive.

Whilst the factory shut it’s MY21 order book in August, they’ve agreed we can order more MY21. Many bikes would have been run on models with a different colour and a minor spec tweak. The issue for everyone in the supply chain is having something to sell. These orders have been uploaded to the system hence why bikes have become available again.

Expected dates are a long time in the future. The factory has accepted the order but stated production dates are all subject to component availability, a huge unknown at this stage.

We appreciate that there’s huge uncertainty for you, you are having to adapt to working in the dark.

The factory can’t tell us when we are getting bikes if component suppliers can’t tell them when they are providing the parts. So we are trying to give the Area Managers as much advanced notice of bikes arriving as we can, currently we can tell you 6 weeks ahead, hopefully stretching to 8-10 weeks to help you manage the flow of bikes as best we can.

Thanks for your support, and rest assured we are doing everything we can to get bikes here as quickly as we can.”

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
So the issues with supply seem to be related to parts not frames - so I also assume the trickle on from this will include lack of parts in the near future as well - although maybe OEM is a different supply chain / spec of component? And hence has its own supply issue not related to spares

Litenbror

Eats Squid
So the issues with supply seem to be related to parts not frames - so I also assume the trickle on from this will include lack of parts in the near future as well - although maybe OEM is a different supply chain / spec of component? And hence has its own supply issue not related to spares
I've been trying to buy an XT bottom bracket and can't find one anywhere online, everyone is out of stock. I think the parts market is already drying up.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have had conversations with my LBS regarding a new bike in the last few weeks. They want to sell me one, but can’t get me anything across 3-4 brands

Flow-Rider

Burner
This has been going on in the US for a long time, bikes get sold with in a few days that they're landed. It's more the middle range priced bikes.

Last edited:

clockworked

Like an orange
How good would it be if boutique bikes go the way of euro cars.
Eg a busted bottom bracket could be the minor, but expensive car repair. Boutique bikes on the cheap for minor flaws!

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Local Merida dealer here in Adelaide seems to have had a heap of bikes land recently. Although on social media advising to get in quick as selling fast. On the MTBR forums people are saying the shop has their frame but no parts to put on it. Wonder if companies will delay MY21 resleases to catch up or just carry on and advise coming soon!

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I'm so glad I bought mine when I did. I was. Considering holding out a bit longer for a Merida Big Trail or Nukeproof Scout both of which have slightly better specs but now their lead times are increasing. Meanwhile I'm having fun on the trails!

I wonder if people will start stocking up on non consumables like hangars, headsets and bottom brackets, as well as the usual tyres, grips and sealant.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It'll come good pretty quickly I reckon, manufacturing hasn't just completely stopped worldwide. I agree there is a shortage now but hopefully things seem sorta kinda normalish early 2021.
In the meantime, I feel for the shops who can't get stock and can't sell the parts etc etc who will need to either close entirely or sack people. No one wins.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
As always they show up after making 2 orders with them. Showed as out of stock last week when I looked.
Shimano Aus just got a large shipment methinks. Had a few things on watchlist and it notified me 3 parts became available a few days ago.

Funny thing is Europe seems to be perfectly fine with stock. US is hammered as are we. You can basically find anything in Euro sellers.

It will be ok though, Nothern Hemisphere will go through a cold covid winter and hopefully slow bike purchases.

It does raise the question though. Why wait months for a shop bike when you can order online and have it sooner. Even Canyon wait times are only 4 months of so for the popular models.

safreek

But on the good side of things, once everyone has got sick of looking at their unused new bike there should be a buyers market.
Like the weightlifting equipment, supply is slowly getting through. Glad I waited until Kmart got stock back, 39 bucks for a 20kg plate. They haven't been profit taking like most of the sport stores.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
But on the good side of things, once everyone has got sick of looking at their unused new bike there should be a buyers market.
Like the weightlifting equipment, supply is slowly getting through. Glad I waited until Kmart got stock back, 39 bucks for a 20kg plate. They haven't been profit taking like most of the sport stores.
I'm still waiting for weights to go on gumtree etc. at decent prices. I bought a squat stand, but only had borrowed weights which have gone back now.. Just a stand doing nothing in the garage

safreek

I'm still waiting for weights to go on gumtree etc. at decent prices. I bought a squat stand, but only had borrowed weights which have gone back now.. Just a stand doing nothing in the garage
Damn, that sucks. If you have standard bars you should hit up Kmart. 4 x20 2x10 kg for about 200.
I bought one of the cheapie benches from big w for when I can't be fucked going to the gym. I don't go over 100kg on it, I think that's pushing it a bit

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I called a couple of stores - can order now - as in pay now - Get bike in Nov - " but we only have 3 coming "
Next Shipment tentatively due in Mid Jan - same deal tho - 20% deposit - pay on arrival .

I just received my parts from Bike 24 - very efficient - 2 days to Melbourne ............10 days to home .

Might order a couple of consumables ( cassette ) to get me thru summer .