The Green Rocketship

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crappy phone pic from this morning's 6:30am ride before the heat. But I've been using this bike again after I cracked a rim on my Primer. I've gone back to aluminium rims on the Solaris too since I keep pulling nipples out of the carbon ones. Will get the rear rebuilt and get them back on eventually but it's still good to get back on something simple and pedal.

Stay tuned for some decent pics soon enough

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This has been glued to my trainer for the last 6 months but I've just stripped down my Primer after noticing the bearings needed swapping out and I've got an XC race on next weekend. So, the Solaris to the rescue

Striped it down and rebuilt it today and actually managed to get it down to a respectable 11.7kg, including pedals, bottle cage, bar end tyre plus and GPS. Pretty much as you see it in the pictures.

The only bit of carbon on the whole build is the seat post clamp

The easiest way to loose weight is in the wheels. Stan's Flow on Hope 4's are an awesome wheelset, but damn they're portly. If anyone wants to buy them, I'll order some Crests for this build. Only done about 100kms

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Raced it yesterday in Spring Gully, Bendigo. One hour XCO style race (5 laps of a roughly 8-10 min lap).

One thing I wasn't prepared for was re-adapting to riding a hardtail up rocky climbs. Have been riding duel suspension bikes for far too long! The other thing I really missed was a dropper post. By the end of the race I'd pretty much gotten to terms with the steep head angle, rigid rear end and solid post. My last lap was my fastest lap of the race (by 1s from my first lap). I guess that means I probably paced pretty well too .

If anyone's followed by builds in the past, I've always built more aggressive trail bikes. Cross Country racing and training for racing is something I've gotten interested in this year and it's been a fun journey. I should really start a thread detailing my journey so far in the "fitness" thread, as I've learned a lot and gotten a lot faster using a trainer and changing up my nutrition. 8kg down since Xmas and FTP has gone from 200w to 267w. In fact, my normalised power for this race was 273w with an Intensity Factor of 1.01 so I'd say my FTP is a touch higher since I last tested!

I'm at the point where I'm interested in building/buying a dedicated XC bike. This could fit the bill but I think I'm sold on staying on a duel suspension bike. So I'm keeping my eyes out for frame/bike at a decent price in the classifieds.

I don't think I'll sell this one, a man has to keep a steel hardtail in his stable.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Keep the solaris as your race bike, why would you change it? So pretty!
11kg is pretty awesome, and swapping out the flows will make a much larger difference than a carbon frame would.

Fuck the system, steel is real!

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keep the solaris as your race bike, why would you change it? So pretty!
11kg is pretty awesome, and swapping out the flows will make a much larger difference than a carbon frame would.

Fuck the system, steel is real!
I'm so tempted to do this. There's some LB carbon rims over in the classifieds that'd shave off 600g in one fell swoop. Being rotational weight is a bigger plus. Swapping the rigid post for a dropper will offset that. There's small gains to be made with the bar and that's probably it. Maybe brakes? (Hope x2s )

Mighty tempting. Even a Fox stepcast 34 would be awesome. Same weight as the current fork, with a better damper and stiffer chassis, not that my lightweight (72kg) body stresses the 32's that much. Maybe a SC 32

For reference, the frame weighed 2.2kg with the headset installed, so it's not a porker.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
The added weight of a dropper will not couter dropping 600g rotational weight, no way that’s equal! You still win with the dropper.

It’s a shame hope only do ano green for employee’s, they’d look awesome on this.

Stepcast 32’s would he great, you still get the kashima (only reason I’m not suggesting sids, the gold stanchions look mint on it), and being a thinner fork will be more comfy than than the 34’s. flex isn’t a bad thing remember, especially when you only have 100odd mm travel to play with.

I haven’t dreamt of a xc solaris at all! Nope, not even a little bit

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What’s the head angle on it? You mentioned it was steep...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
70 degrees at 100mm. The current 120mm fork puts it at 69. Which I agree isn't that steep, but coming off trail bikes at 66.5 and 67 degrees its a different feeling for sure!

The added weight of a dropper will not couter dropping 600g rotational weight, no way that’s equal! You still win with the dropper.

It’s a shame hope only do ano green for employee’s, they’d look awesome on this.

Stepcast 32’s would he great, you still get the kashima (only reason I’m not suggesting sids, the gold stanchions look mint on it), and being a thinner fork will be more comfy than than the 34’s. flex isn’t a bad thing remember, especially when you only have 100odd mm travel to play with.

I haven’t dreamt of a xc solaris at all! Nope, not even a little bit
After doing some googling unfortunately the SID's are by far the cheapest option over the SC 32's, unless you go the performance versions which have black stanchions anyway. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for some on FB.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My ritchey with Carbon wheels is a dream to ride.....

A 120mm fork also made a big difference in comfort but I'm a lot larger than you.

Do both if you can. I put a pike on, but I noticed someone said in the 34 step cast thread that sids still tested stiffer than the 34 step cast. Perhaps a 120mm sid is the way to go?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have ordered a set of Crests built on Hope Pro4's from CRC. I'll leave the Fox 32 on for now and I'll keep my eye out on the classifieds for a stepcast fork or a Sid. This alone should drop about 500g from the build, and all rotational mass.

I still want to put a dropper on it, so that's another thing on the list but it's not essential. I'll keep looking at upgrading a few things that are easy gets. The Syntace aluminium bars for example weigh 317g, whereas some carbon XC flat bars can be had just over 100g. However the Syntace stem I've got on there at the moment only weighs 123g, so there's not much to be gained by going something like a super light Wren at 75g.

Everything else, the cost to weight saved starts getting a little out of hand. Guide brakes to Hope x2's or Formula R1s. Not a huge weight saving but cost an arm and a leg.

Anyway, I'll be putting my Flows up for sale soon, present as new and will come as 15x100 and 12x142 (Shimano freehub).

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Things are starting to rock up.

Hope Pro4s and Stan's Crest, 1526g minus valves. A solid 600g less than the Flows they'll be replacing.

Also have a KS Lev dropper, courtesy of Creaky and I'm going to try some Sram Level brakes, courtesy of Dozer.

The post will add about 150g over the original one, and the brakes, according to manufacturers claimed weights should be about 370g compared to the Guides I've currently got on there I've weighed at 550g.
Bugger all, but couldn't help myself when I saw them for sale lol.

Ordered a carbon bar and Ashima 160mm rotors off R2Bike that'll be here soon too. Carbon bar I'm not 100% sold on, just over 100g with a rider weight limit of 90kg. I'm 72kg so it SHOULD be ok, but I'm still a little worried lol. It's 200g lighter than my current bar. Rotors were cheap and a bit lighter so I just bought them for the hell of it.

Should get get her into the 10kg mark, with pedals/GPS etc

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got the wheels and tyres on. Current weight is now 10.99kg. that's a massive 700g difference in rotational weight!

Still to come/fit

SRAM Level brakes (in the post)
Ashima 160mm rotors (in the post)
KS dropper post (waiting for a shim)
740mm carbon bars (in the post)

Mental maths puts the final weight around 10.8ish with the dropper post on. Will be pretty happy with that.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think she's in her final state. Dropper post is on along with some new carbon bars. Ended up staying with the twin piston guides as there was bugger all weight penalty over the Levels.

Final weight is 10.8kg with pedals and GPS.

With the lighter wheels it accelerates like a demon out of corners. The 2.25 Aspen's have been an XC favourite all year for me and today's hardpack with a few boggy areas were no different. Super fast rolling and very predictable from the center all the way to the side knobs.

I think the only change I might make is go to a 34t chainring.

Managed to snag a kom today and a improve on a few regular segments, including a 2nd overall on a 30 min XC loop. Racing it tomorrow at Harcourt. I'm curious how close I can get to my descent times that I've set on my Primer.