The Hardtail Downhill Thread.

sambula

Likes Dirt
I'm in the process of turning my Banshee Scratch into a freeride/downhill hardtail. This is the spec-list I'm currently looking at, if you guys want to give some feedback?

Frame: Banshee Scratch
Fork: 2007 Marzocchi 66
Wheels: MTX on Da Bomb Headspin (F)
MTX on Dice Hoodoo (R)
Tyres: 2.5 minions front and back
Cranks: 24/7 Superfat
Chainring: Profile Widow-maker
Bars: Easton 50's?
Stem: Easton Vice?
Brakes: Juicy 3's front and rear

Does anybody else run single-speed on their rig? I'm running like, 36-13 at the moment (nice and hard haha!) and am thinking of just leaving it at that?

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought I'd post up some specs for my new HT AM rig, I will get pics soon.

Frame: 2001 Norco 250cc
Fork: 2008 Manitou Minute Absolute 130mm
Wheels: Alex rims something on the front, Mavic DH rim on the back (both garage spares)
Tyres: High Rollers
Cranks: Some Shimano ones.
Chainring: Homemade :D
Bars: Running a flatbar untill I get wider bars
Stem: EA50
Brakes: Hayes HFX9 Carbon front and rear
Weight: 11.4KG before tubeless.
Rear Mech: Shimano Sora
Cassette: DMR singlespeed kit.
Pedals: Wellgo Clipless

I ride a dually as well (I know soft :p) but I'm not very fast haha, so this should hopefully help me speed up.

Last edited:

Tomsy

Likes Dirt
My Felt used to be set up like this. Went well 6inches up front, Clips kept the feet on in the bumps. With just a brake and pedal upgrage from stock became a fully capable strong DH bike that weighed in the very low end of 14 kgs

Looks like this since i got a dually (wish i kept it like the first pic:()

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Clips kept the feet on in the bumps.
Quoted for DH/HT law.

Flats only for super steep/super slippery. Clips are great. My excuse is I'm still learning technique, and I've been told clips make you lazy :eek:

Keep pinnin HTers, Zyphryss, you haven't told your story yet...

Last edited:
i'm riding an 09 sasquatch, was a little bit sketchy on the DH when i first got it, but i recently upgraded my pedals (wellgo mg-1) and grips (odi ruffians) and purchased a pair of 510s. don't have to worry about my feet bouncing of the pedals through the rough sections any more, way more confidence from the extra grip.

i even think its a smoother ride then my old stinky with 5inches on the rear!:cool:

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Morphine..

Well, I just changed my forks on my Morphine....
Swapped my Totems off and put the 08 Boxxer WC's on it......
They sit at the same crown height, so no difference in front end height (maybe 10mm lower).
But have been having some top out issues of late since a rebuild. Have to pump em up to 180 and expand them to max to see if the Neg chamber will equalize....cant understand why they have top out at the moment.

Anyway, Totems went on to the SpecialiZed BigHit SPEC......Kind of makes this a fun freeride bike now.

The WC's should give me the feel I want, found the totems wallow too much in the middle of stroke, ok for a dually, but think it sucked for a HT....

edawg5

Squid
man i wish i had a sasqautch. my 07 norco rival doesnt do much for me, although im upgrading my dirt jumper 4's to maybe 66's or 55's :)

Hi all. Sorry, this has probably been covered before, but I was interested in what FR/DH hardtail frames (pref cro-mo) are out there that I use my 66RC2X's on. I'm keen to back to a hardtail, and my forks have had minimal use. Just wanted to know what frames would be compatible with them.
Any help would be appreciated.:)
Cheers.

I ride a 05 norco sasqauch with marzochi drop offs(i changed the sticker to say "fuck off") and i can still beat my mate on his 09 giant glory

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ride a 05 norco sasqauch with marzochi drop offs(i changed the sticker to say "fuck off") and i can still beat my mate on his 09 giant glory
Option 1) Your insanely freaking fast no
Option 2) Your mate is insanely freaking slow
Option 3) You were racing on a flat road
Option 4) You're bullshiting +1

fairy1

Banned
It's a Glory, give the guy some credit, if I had a chunk of lead with a spring I would expect to be beaten too!

Jazz

Likes Bikes
Hey all, I've got my STP1 all ready for the VIC DH Series, a new set of Maxxis Minions and some new wheels (Front: Atomlab Pimp Rim on Pimp Hub, Rear: Atomlab Pimp Rim on Da Bomb Headspin Hub).

Just lookig to do a brake upgrade, currently running 160mm Shimano, and new pedals, the stockies on the STP aer slippy as.

Would love to do a fork upgrade to something with a little more travel but nothin is going really cheap at the moment.

Attachments

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just lookig to do a brake upgrade, currently running 160mm Shimano, and new pedals, the stockies on the STP aer slippy as.
Avid Elixer 5's, theyre like 160-80 dollars an end. I've got them and I cannot fault them.