The hardtail riding thread

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The section is full of people asking about stp builds. I thought it'd be good if we got a bit of community going, a lot like the bmx/fixie section's.

Cedel, Tyler, Patto, Callan and others, you guys are the guys that will keep this thread alive, not the people asking about stp builds.

Me creating this thread is slightly ironic, as i don't have a street mtb right now. But a resurrection of my old one is in order.
Roughly something like this:

Brakes: Odyssey Monolever/Avid BB7/Odyssey linear slic
Tyres: Larsen 2.3/2.1 or Crossmark 2.25/Larsen 2.1 - Though im unsure if it should be the other way round? What would be better for the front?
Forks: Society Xeno 80mm qr
Frame: Last Rufus.

Buying them in that order (of most important)

Last edited:

patto_15

Wheel size expert
For this to be successful, you firstly need to change the name so it doesn't have 'riding thread' and 'bmx' together... Like urban mtb riding thread or HT riding thread.. Something along those lines, so the two threads don't get mixed up..

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For this to be successful, you firstly need to change the name so it doesn't have 'riding thread' and 'bmx' together... Like urban mtb riding thread or HT riding thread.. Something along those lines, so the two threads don't get mixed up..
The all knowing, all seeing patto has spoken.

Done and dusted.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great idea man,

Heres my rig,

Jamis Kromo
Fox Talas 36
Atomlab to Tuffneck
EA50 Bars (soon to be NS District)
Tioga City Slicker
DMR Moto Digger
Odyssey Mono Lever to BB5 (when it's on)
It tips the scales at 11.9kg brakeless.
And yes I realize I have a flat :p

And here a GIF of me flipping it for the first time last week.

Attachments

Last edited:

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in.

I've heard Society Xenos are rebadged RST Spaces. Anyone?

I kinda like the look of them. Cheap and nice and steep too.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in.

I've heard Society Xenos are rebadged RST Spaces. Anyone?

I kinda like the look of them. Cheap and nice and steep too.
I rode some a couple of weeks ago, they were being tested on an all-mountain bike by the distributor's mate, he hucked a bunch of stairs to flat, he said he has treated them pretty badly and theyre still holding up. They felt pretty nice as well, and at $250 of CRC thats half the price of most other DJ forks.

Ridestreet seems to love them as well.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
That quarter to bank looks rather fun...!

Got some new lowers the other day... (well, borrowing from lincoln) but got damn.... Pinch bolt area is cracked, already was, but i thought it would be better than a snapped arch... God damn i was wrong, it makes sounds so much and is just a pain in the arse, probably go back to snapped forks ;)

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That quarter to bank looks rather fun...!
Believe me it looks like a lot more fun than it is.

I swear the workers were stoned when they shaped the quarters, you need suspension just to ride it haha, I guess it keeps the skaters away.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hardtail riding thread, awesome.

I am back on an hardtail, and thus far loving it!

Sold my trusty NS Streetlegal a year or two ago, and have been racing DH and 4X since. All of my street/park fetishes have been taken care of on little wheels (had a Colony and a Subrosa). I even spent a while racing on little wheels! Eventually though I bit the bullet, and bought myself a NS Bitch secondhand. As much as I like BMX, riding a hardtail suits me better, and I seem to enjoy my riding more on bigger wheels. Sure, I can't spin as much or do as many techy tricks, but the smile is worth it.

This is my current hardtail (well technically my 4X bike is a hardtail too, but that is different...);

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184905

I have a few upgrades planned once I get home, a pivotal seat/post setup, a Blk Mrkt Underboss stem, Monolever and a new crank setup.

Most of all, I can't wait to get some more riding in on it!

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
^^^^

That real rim is wack as, cool, but I have never seen anything like it before???

Kinda stopped riding my DJ for a while and concentrating on my XC riding

Gonna get back into it now the Scott is done and dusted.

Latest pic of my bicycle:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Patto have you considered getting custom lowers? Something knocked up by grip, or re-inforced old ones?

Rexy: How light is that rim? How is it holding up, i'd have thought that it would blow itself apart?

Can anyone comment on crossmarks vs larsens. My current tyre set-up is larsen/monorail, which was alright for dirt, but sucked balls for street. I've never ridden crossmarks, how do they compare?

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
I would have thought Larsens would go alright on the bitumen???

Ah well, crossmarks eat shit on dirt imo, I hate them

On street I cant comment as I've never ridden them for that

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Patto have you considered getting custom lowers? Something knocked up by grip, or re-inforced old ones?
i'll just get some old Sherman lowers again soon which are in good nic, and keep running them until they snap.. Hopefully go Fox in the future when i can afford it ;)

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Damn. I was thinking about making this thread. Currently haven't got a bike built up for anything yet. But in the process of making something for some Dirt / Street / Park. Only getting the spec list together at the moment. As follows

-

Frame - 24" NS Traffic - $400 - 2650g
Front shock/fork - Rock Shox Argyle 318 Forks - $515 - 2500g
Handlebars - NS District - $70 - 450g
Stem - NS Quark Pro - $100 - 220g
Headset - MacMahone Sang Royal - $100 - 94g
Grips - ODI Ruffian Lock on - $25 - 90g
Saddle -
Seatpost -
Rear brake -
Cranks -
Chainguide -
Chain -
Pedals - Wellgo MG1 - $60 - 370g
Cassette -
Front hub - NS bikes Rotary 20 - $100 - 170g
Rear hub - NS bikes Rotary - $220 - 470g
Front rim -
Rear rim -
Spokes -
Nipples -
Tyres - Tioga Factory FS100 - $26 - 650g
Tubes -

Total weight - 8204g
Total Price - $1656

-

Feel free to add your thoughts on what i should get. Or anything you think i should change on it. I'm thinking a MacMahone headset, as i've heard good things, and they look ever so nice (they also have a nice green to match that little bit of green on the traffic frame :cool:) Other than that, it's pretty much a fully white bike! (There's a thread in the PYR section of a 24" Suburban which is coincidentally very similar to the colour scheme i want, mostly white!)

Looking for the total price to be $2,000 - $2,500.

Last edited:

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
If I'm correct you're thinking of the dream 24 suburban build made by mIsred???

And why not, he's got a mad looking bike so far and I mean it's not like they're gonna be identical???

Just build what you want and what you like

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
As far as specs go:

Cheap King Headseat
Odessey Aitken Seat
Avid BB7, Juicy 3
Profile Racing Cranks, Anything Odessey or Snafu
KMC Kool Chain
Subrosa, MTX, Pimplite, Halo

Just buy what you want, this is just food for thought

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I'm correct you're thinking of the dream 24 suburban build made by mIsred???

And why not, he's got a mad looking bike so far and I mean it's not like they're gonna be identical???

Just build what you want and what you like
Yep. That's the one. And that's the plan. It was just coincidence he's building a pretty much fully white with a dash of green NS too. But seeing his I'd be pretty stoked if i can get mine looking as good as it!

As far as specs go:

Cheap King Headseat
Odessey Aitken Seat
Avid BB7, Juicy 3
Profile Racing Cranks, Anything Odessey or Snafu
KMC Kool Chain
Subrosa, MTX, Pimplite, Halo

Just buy what you want, this is just food for thought
Cheers, that's what i'm looking for at the moment - Food for thought :)

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oooh, i got a mention:p

Better contribute then:)

Everyone is posting their bikes, ill post a part of mine...

Swapped my KHE one piece seat, for a Brand new Macneil Pivotal setup the other day at the bowl, i was stoked:)

i'll just get some old Sherman lowers again soon which are in good nic, and keep running them until they snap.. Hopefully go Fox in the future when i can afford it ;)

I had some shermans that weren't working with me, had i known, i could have sold you them cheaply so you could use the lowers!

hit up ango if your still after some, because he has them now:p

patto_15

Wheel size expert
I had some shermans that weren't working with me, had i known, i could have sold you them cheaply so you could use the lowers!

hit up ango if your still after some, because he has them now:p
I'll just kidnap him next time he skates past my place ;)