The hardtail riding thread

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Started work on a new pump track today. We tried building in the same spot this time last year, but it fell apart. But now that I've finished school I've got plenty of time on my hands to build this thing (might try get some jumps going too, though the spot is small).

Also considering a couple of larger upgrades to my bike. Wheels, forks, frame, cranks.
Has anyone run stans flow rims on a dj bike? They seem very strong for the weight, I might give them a go. Otherwise it's dt ex500. I'm going to try and justify buying a profile elite rear hub. But I think it'll be difficult at near to $500.

Forks will be x-fusions or manitou circuses. I read the other day that you can lower air totems to 100mm, that would be awesome. But probably slightly excessive.

Cranks will be Shimano slx or xt. Depending on which I can find as a bargain first.

Frame is the last thing, I'm not sure what to get. It'll probably still be a fair way off. I'm tempted to get something alloy and save a little weight. Two6 players are very cheap. But I think they're a little too short for me, being 6'4''.

yeah profile elites are expensive. id have trouble justifying that.

if your looking for a cheap frame dobermanns are $550 shipped from the new distributor (blonde bikes). up to a 23" top tube and its more street oriented.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't really like bikes with tight street geo. I reckon theyre too twitchy and unforgiving. I'd like a HA of 69 degrees +/- .5 and slightly longer chainstays. That way it's not a disaster if you land nosed in on something, and you can lazily hold manuals, instead of having to adjust all over the place.

yeah thats fair enough. your a fairly tall person so street specific frames would feel tiny for you! i think the dobs are pretty similar to the majesty, just that the bottom bracket is 15mm over the axle line. im probably getting a medium (22.5" tt) soon with a mid bb and integrated headset. i love how you can choose what head tube, bb and even axle size you want.

Last edited:

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Started work on a new pump track today. We tried building in the same spot this time last year, but it fell apart. But now that I've finished school I've got plenty of time on my hands to build this thing (might try get some jumps going too, though the spot is small).

Also considering a couple of larger upgrades to my bike. Wheels, forks, frame, cranks.
Has anyone run stans flow rims on a dj bike? They seem very strong for the weight, I might give them a go. Otherwise it's dt ex500. I'm going to try and justify buying a profile elite rear hub. But I think it'll be difficult at near to $500.

Forks will be x-fusions or manitou circuses. I read the other day that you can lower air totems to 100mm, that would be awesome. But probably slightly excessive.

Cranks will be Shimano slx or xt. Depending on which I can find as a bargain first.

Frame is the last thing, I'm not sure what to get. It'll probably still be a fair way off. I'm tempted to get something alloy and save a little weight. Two6 players are very cheap. But I think they're a little too short for me, being 6'4''.
I'm 6'1" and have just started riding a two6player, such a nice frame and stiffer than anything i've ridden (blkmrkt mob, norco ryde, dartmoor brooke). Good length up front and still reasonably short in the rear. Will get some better photos next week:

EDIT: also some happy snaps from the weekend if anyone is interested: http://jono-wade.pinkbike.com/album/warrnambool-riding/

Last edited:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere

Depending on the frame weight vs size thing, the other option is to go to the custom tuned route with an armybikeco. frame, their not the lightest, but you can get custom paintwork, and you can get the right size then regardless as well as a few other choices that can make the job a heck of alot easier when transferring parts over.

well AM/enduro rims dont need to withstand that many sideways forces. for dirt, and especially street, an enduro rim is not a good idea because you will get torsional and sidewards forces no matter how smooth you are. dont worry about saving weight on street and dirt bikes, i made that mistake a few times now, both resulted in losing money. (just bent my bar this weekend. no bueno. getting a ns district bar very soon)

and this just proves that Matt Macduff is not human.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/227732/

Last edited:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
well AM/enduro rims dont need to withstand that many sideways forces. for dirt, and especially street, an enduro rim is not a good idea because you will get torsional and sidewards forces no matter how smooth you are. dont worry about saving weight on street and dirt bikes, i made that mistake a few times now, both resulted in losing money. (just bent my bar this weekend. no bueno. getting a ns district bar very soon)

and this just proves that Matt Macduff is not human.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/227732/
thats intense, best clip ive seen from anyone in a long while.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
[video=vimeo;32135734]http://vimeo.com/32135734[/video]

Also a couple of photos...

Finally learnt whips =]

Latchy

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So pretty much copy what Pato does with the tuck no's?
yeh patto has pretty nice tucks, you can also throw your arms forward and down but in general it doesnt look as good, unless its a 360 tuck or a drop tuck, thats just my opinion tho.

btw patto which way was the opposite 360 in your video haha? i finally grew some balls and did a 360. finaly haha

Attachments

Last edited: