The HiFi thread

MasterOfReality

After forever
There's a person in the local buy swap sell group that has a shitload of reasonable to good stuff on marketplace. Turns out her hubby is a bit of an audiophile and he is constantly buying stuff and then selling it on so he can get more stuff. Like a never ending cycle.

Not really hifi but I have a set of active JBL speakers for my office desk. Good but missing bottom end. Can I add an active sub to these? Pics of rear below. Given they don't have a sub out, am I wasting my time with band-aid solutions and should I just get an all matching 2.1 system?

JBL_104BT_BLACK_ProductPhoto_Pair_Front_Back_Master_Straight_CMYK_810472-f54bfc2de176918c0cf79...jpg

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Not strictly HiFi. But my trusty 10 year old sennheisers decided to give up and went through the motions.

Shortlisted B&W Px7s2e and XM5. Ended up with the B&W. Somewhat disappointed. The ANC is second to the sony, as is the mic. The build quality and sound quality imo is better. But man this is the first ANC phones I got and I swear it makes everything terrible, even with it turned off! Maybe I've just spent too much time on my wired open cans. I would have thought tech has improved in the 10 years since I last bought a set of cans, but man i guess you can't beat physics of open backs.

/endrant

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
There's a person in the local buy swap sell group that has a shitload of reasonable to good stuff on marketplace. Turns out her hubby is a bit of an audiophile and he is constantly buying stuff and then selling it on so he can get more stuff. Like a never ending cycle.

Not really hifi but I have a set of active JBL speakers for my office desk. Good but missing bottom end. Can I add an active sub to these? Pics of rear below. Given they don't have a sub out, am I wasting my time with band-aid solutions and should I just get an all matching 2.1 system?

View attachment 408711
Not directly, at least I don't think so. Maybe an audio splitter? Take one out to the JBLs and another to the sub input. Extension outlet is the satellite speaker.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Here are some of my recent pickups for the new house, all of which I picked up second hand.

Given that I can't even imagine how you could improve on the Polk Legend/McIntosh THX setup, I can't understand why people are letting this stuff go.

I've also picked up the top of the range Yamaha AV pre-amp (pictured) and a Meridian C50 10 channel power amp second hand. People are crazy.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk
Trinnov processors have redefined the upper end of home theatre processors.

Atmos, Auro, DTS:X.

4K 120/ 8k 60, 40Gbps hdmi capability.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

View attachment 408711
You can get studio active subs with line level passthrough.

Look at:
-Presonus Sub 8BT: variable LPF & fixed 80Hz HPF
-ESI Aktiv 10S: variable LPF & fixed 100Hz HPF
-KRK S8.4: selectable Xo (LPF&HPF) 70/80/90/100H

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Not strictly HiFi. But my trusty 10 year old sennheisers decided to give up and went through the motions.

Shortlisted B&W Px7s2e and XM5. Ended up with the B&W. Somewhat disappointed. The ANC is second to the sony, as is the mic. The build quality and sound quality imo is better. But man this is the first ANC phones I got and I swear it makes everything terrible, even with it turned off! Maybe I've just spent too much time on my wired open cans. I would have thought tech has improved in the 10 years since I last bought a set of cans, but man i guess you can't beat physics of open backs.

/endrant
B&W are over rated and very expensive for what they are.

Check out the AKG K371. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../akg-k371-review-closed-back-headphone.19657/

For the princely sum of $229 from Amazon.
https://amzn.asia/d/ayiOuaR

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Ordered a pair of these. I've had a few Fiio products and all have impressed with their sound quality. The noise cancelling on these is not amazing according to reviews, but good for occasional flights - sound quality is the priority for office life.

Had been using a pair of $70 Mpow ANC headphones that gave up the ghost after two years. They were surprisingly decent sounding (or perhaps I should say surprisingly not shit for 70 bucks!), and the ANC worked well enough to take the edge of the turboprop planes that run between here and Canberra!

MasterOfReality

After forever
Not directly, at least I don't think so. Maybe an audio splitter? Take one out to the JBLs and another to the sub input. Extension outlet is the satellite speaker.
Thanks, that will probably work.

You can get studio active subs with line level passthrough.

Look at:
-Presonus Sub 8BT: variable LPF & fixed 80Hz HPF
-ESI Aktiv 10S: variable LPF & fixed 100Hz HPF
-KRK S8.4: selectable Xo (LPF&HPF) 70/80/90/100H

Went down the rabbit hole on how to connect subs, did my head in so quit haha. Looked at the frequency response chart for my JBLs, saw where the bass rolls off and boosted it with an EQ. Sounds much better, but still not good enough.