The HiFi thread

scblack

Leucocholic
Haakon you’re not near Sydney this weekend are you? I have one external speaker not working on my camper and I don’t know enough to get it going. Annoying.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Looking good hifi. One thing that will improve your listening is some heavy curtains on the glass doors. The glass will reflect and muddle plenty of sound. Or so people who know anything about sound tell me...
Yes, lots of room tuning to come. Not happy with the sound at present, placing the speakers directly on the credenza results in a lot of reverberation.

One purchase I will be making is speaker isolation, likely this:

IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R, surprisingly cheap for something so well loved in the audio community.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Sorry Blackie, I’m not even getting out of bed before lunchtime today...

It’s pretty simple to check connections for visible signs of failure. After that you can play the substitution game and swap speakers over to see if the speaker or the signal is at fault.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yes, lots of room tuning to come. Not happy with the sound at present, placing the speakers directly on the credenza results in a lot of reverberation.

IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R, surprisingly cheap for something so well loved in the audio community.
Do speaker makers still use the spikes for feet? My floor standers have them and they seem to isolate well.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Spikes rely on hooking into a stable mass. Useless on timber floors etc. A bony slab is useless too. I had an issue in a rented place where the wall behind the speakers started vibrating in sympathy with the music and that caused enough reverberation to unsettle my turntable. So that now sits on isolating feet on a marble slab which is on isolating feet on the hifi stack. I was using an MC cartridge so probably more sensitive than MM.

We are now in our own house thst I built. I have a reinforcing beam under the slab where the stereo sits and the wall behind (an internal wall) has insulation and double gyprock with more studs and noggings than required by building regs. Power outlets on seperate circuits...

Wonder how well a single Iso Puck would support a Linn Kann...

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Spikes rely on hooking into a stable mass. Useless on timber floors etc. A bony slab is useless too. I had an issue in a rented place where the wall behind the speakers started vibrating in sympathy with the music and that caused enough reverberation to unsettle my turntable. So that now sits on isolating feet on a marble slab which is on isolating feet on the hifi stack. I was using an MC cartridge so probably more sensitive than MM.

We are now in our own house thst I built. I have a reinforcing beam under the slab where the stereo sits and the wall behind (an internal wall) has insulation and double gyprock with more studs and noggings than required by building regs. Power outlets on seperate circuits...

Wonder how well a single Iso Puck would support a Linn Kann...
The Sap relaxa is spectacular at cutting down on vibrations. I've made a few myself in the past.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/relaxa1_e.html

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I thought spikes were just for getting through the carpet and underlay to the concrete below?

Anyway, I put some new ear pads on my Beyerdynamic DT250s this weekend. Feel like new again. These headphones are one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

I was in the valley this morning and looked at these and um... bought some. Will let you know how they go under the Linns.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Will do though I will need to take Moorey's dick pics off the wall so it will take me a while to tidy up.

Initial thoughts are these are good! They came with two different length struts and I used the longer ones at first to get the speakers to ear level. But the stands seemed too fragile. I went to the shorter struts and angled the stands up and that is good. Not sure if Linn Kanns are a heavy bookshelf speaker or not. Maybe the longer struts are suited to a smaller lighter speaker.

Anyway since I plan to work from home in my new life these are a good addition to my study/office. A better sub is on the cards though.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
You get the ISOL8R 155 model? Their website says these are appropriate for my B&W speakers, which are possibly one of the largest bookshelf speakers ever sold...

I need to buy these ASAP!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The stands as I am using them lift the speaker 115 in the front and 95 at the back. Long struts are 190 while the shorter struts are 80 odd.

The Linn Kanns are 305 high x 190 wide and they weigh 5.1kg each.

I didn't want to damage my burner pics in the study so dining table will have to do.

The taller stands are a good level but the nature of these stands is a loose connection so they just weren't stable enough for me, shorter ones are great.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
They sound good, better than on the desk. Partly because of the isolation (the rubber blocks on the bottom of the Linns are very hard from old age) and partly because of the height/angle. Great product for cheap.

scblack

Leucocholic
So are those vertical struts just fixed length bits of metal are they? And you've got a short and a long option?

And reading between the lines, the rubber feet/pads are pretty important for isolating vibration. I might look into some better pads for my speakers and see if I can pick a difference from better/thicker pads.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Has anyone got an Apple Airport express hooked up to a stereo?

Apple play is pushed over at lossless AFAIK, but just wondering how the unit goes at sampling that to an analogue out? I know it has optical out too, but just wondering how good the base sound is compared to a bluetooth option?