The HiFi thread

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Never listened to one, but full review here:

https://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/505apple/index.html

I too was wondering about the Chromecast Audio quality until I decided it was so damn affordable the best way to find out was to buy one.

I’d do the same with the AE & just whinge & return it if you were disappointed.

IMO, the pure convenience of using these devices excuses SQ issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Fixed up the cabling today, what a PITA making that opening in 60mm of timber & MDF!

I think I’ll get the ISOL8R 200s - these speakers are 235mm wide & 270mm deep...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Post a pic before you plaster the wall in @moorey dick pics.

A mate has repurposed his parents old old "radiogram". Even with doors open it gets too hot. He is looking at putting forced ventilation in. That is one reason why I built a typical stereo stack, albeit out of jarrah, oh and also cost....

I think you will like the ISO stands. Simple and very good.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Those loose cables on that neat modern cabinet trigger my OCD. Can they be tucked behind the cabinet or something? Drill the holes directly under the speaker for full stealth? Maybe a row of Doulton figurines to hide them?

I'm not sure putting the speakers on stilts is going to help the look either, maybe instead use some speaker pads like the Pyle PSI03, ideally trimmed to be slightly smaller than the base of the speaker, so it looks like a shadow gap, could look minimalist and classy.

This all assumes you like your audio to be heard more than it is seen.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The cables will be hidden within the cabinet once I’ve set up the speakers on the ISOL8R stands & know exactly where the best positioning is. We are still waiting on our lounge so I’m not clear where the listening chair (i.e. my spot) will be.

The hatch is for the TV cables mostly.

They are Supra Rondo Bi-Wire cables too, they are still pretty

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
They were here when I got home.

Even with the crappy empty reflective room acoustics, the soundstage is certainly a lot wider. They are worth it.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Aye. God I want a nice DAC though...my BIL has a Schiit Jotunheim I’d love to trial. We had a listening night a while back and I was more than impressed...

Listening to Tori Amos now. My room acoustics suck.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse