The HiFi thread

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Foobar2000 is what I used to use years ago

edit: can't itunes do this actually? there should be an option to export as lossy somewhere, but I haven't used it in ages.

\m/ Moshboy \m/

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the prompt replies.

Running iTunes on a PC, but will look into an XLD equivalent. Thanks for the suggestion goobags.

I know when syncing music to the iPod/Nano, I can change/downgrade the original file formats, but haven't seen an option (not that I've really looked) for doing this to a non Apple device. Will dig into this a little deeper, as this would be great if doable.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Trying out Tidal - there is a $4 for 4 months promotion at the moment. They pay the artists slightly more than Spotify and can stream lossless.
Library is a bit hit and miss for some of the metal I listen to, but seems to have most of what Spotify does. Not sure if I'll keep it, but nice to have a change for a bit.

Also using Bandcamp more - buying albums that aren't on any streaming services and then get a .flac download without any DRM bullshit etc.

\m/ Moshboy \m/

Likes Dirt
Not sure if they're of any real value & probably a bit of a long shot, but I have an old (approx. 26 y/o) pair of Richter book shelves I'm prepared to give away, if anyone wants 'em?

They haven't been used for a few years now, but towards the end, one of the speakers wouldn't work at low volume until the volume was cranked up, then it'd kick in & was perfectly fine from that point on at any volume, until it was turned off & you started again. Not sure if this is a speaker or amp issue.

Had every intention of setting these up again after moving house, but that was 2 years ago, so that ain't happening now. Anyways, I'll probably just chuck these out next hard rubbish collection if there's no takers, so thought I'd throw it out here first, as they were pretty decent in their day, but with the above intermittent fault, & then you factor in today's standards & tech, they might well be just junk anyway!?!? Maybe they're suitable for a garage/pain cave.

If keen, I'm situated in the eastern 'burbs of Melbourne.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
After getting by with some old gear off gumtree for last good while, I've finally put together a neat little 2 channel setup. Seems I've mentioned wanting these a few times over the years in this thread :)

• Krix Equinox speakers (have been interested in Krix since living in Adelaide as a student. Got the Blackwood finish because they look stunning and I intend on keeping these a long time). While I was tempted by some of the other options, its nice to get something made here that can hold its own.
  • Rega IO amp (new amp from Rega, scaled down a little from the very well regarded Brio. 2 x 30W A/B amp. It has a fantastic phono stage built in to it, and these are still made in the UK.
  • Project Debut Carbon (bought this a few years ago, added an acrylic platter a few months ago).

The amp turned up a few days before the speakers so I've been able to play around with it in steps which has been fun to see how it all sounds piece by piece. Overall, everything is so much clearer and separated now, and there is plenty of power to fill our small room.

Put them next to each other for the photo, we're still working out our lounge room layout etc. but will probably get some sort of isolating stands for the speakers and get the TV mounted so the turntable can sit front and centre too.

indica

Serial flasher
Marantz in for a refurb (all sorts of errors), can't wait so bought a Denon AVR-X550BT.
Wow, set up was a breeze, apart from working out which speaker cables were which.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Any suggestions for some good quality wired headphones (over-ear) at non-audiophile prices? Not after "Beats by Dre" type plasticky/marketing laden crap. Just something simple, comfy and with good sound.

Probably obvious, but I'm wanting them for listening to music and would like something with good (but most importantly, clear) bass. I listen to an array of music genres - so something that's a solid alrounder but can still handle metal/hip hop/rap without turning into a muddy confused mess in the bass/mid-bass range...

Also after something with just a basic 3.5mm stereo connector in case the audio world has gone all 4.5mm Boost with an oval connector pin or something...

Not really sure on budget, I guess I'd prefer to spend less than $300 if possible - but don't know if that's like asking to buy a top of the range enduro bike for Kmart prices. In bike terms, I just want a solid midrange trailbike, but one that performs a bit above its price bracket. I want the V2 Banshee Spitfire on run-out sale of headphones!

The range of audio stuff (brands/models) baffles me tbh - so I'm just after some ideas before I walk into an audio store and they try and sell me some headphones that are $12,000 and can only be used in the dark or something similarly absurd...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Sennheiser HD599

50 ohms so iPhone will drive.

$249

Quality.

Replaceable cables with options including boost

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Assuming closed-back?

Audio Technica make the ATH-MRS7 for around $200. There is a MRS7b for around $300 - I've not heard it though but meant to be better.
Its low impedance so can be driven off smart phones and the like. From memory it was pretty smooth and musical (so not entirely flat response), bass was pretty clear but not booming. I really like these for a pair of closed back / portable headphones.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
That or even the HD560S:

Bass response discussed at 8m15s.

Last edited:

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a set of JBL synchs - older , but I'm deaf ...so they sound fine to me .

As you are in Melbs - have a browse here - they have nice stuff and are user friendly .

Not all their gear is 'Dentist Pricing'

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I think I'd rule out the Sennheisers purely for the exposed foam on the earcups. My skin reacts a bit to that stuff for some reason. I guess the more vinyl-like covers are what I'm after.

The Audio-Technica ones do look more like what I'm after from a materials/aesthetics sense but I think once I'm up and about a bit more I'll drop past addictedtoaudio and check some things out in person (mainly to make sure they fit my melon head!). At least I have some starting off points now, cheers all!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The Audio-Technica ones do look more like what I'm after from a materials/aesthetics sense but I think once I'm up and about a bit more I'll drop past addictedtoaudio and check some things out in person (mainly to make sure they fit my melon head!). At least I have some starting off points now, cheers all!
Easily the best option - try before you buy. I rock Gen1 Sennheiser Momentum over-ear 'phones for most use, spent hours at Len Wallis Audio trying these & the competition.