The HiFi thread

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Looking for help on speaker cable choice.

I am renovating my joint atm & have a space set up for my amp etc, with a picture of where speakers will go on an adjoining wall. This will require a run of ~10/5m & want to do this under the new floor.

I seem to be going round in circles trying to find info on the net so thought I'd throw it out there as there seems to be some people who know their shit around here. I have been looking at Chord Clearway & QED xt40 but have had great results with Audioquest interconnects. Anyone with opinions on speaker cable? Should I spend more to achieve a better result, given how permanent the install is? I have pretty much given up on bi-wiring, maybe I shouldn't?

Nothing fancy but I do try to really listen to music. Definitely 2 channel set up. NAD hybrid digital amp into B&W 684, currently using Kimber cables.
Jon Risch's cross connected coax speaker cables. Forget all the marketing BS. 98% of the results at 5% of the cost.

Have a google, many hits.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Jon Risch's cross connected coax speaker cables. Forget all the marketing BS. 98% of the results at 5% of the cost.

Have a google, many hits.
Built them in 2002. Yeah. They work. But nope they ain't worth it unless your cable runs are ridiculously long or your speaker system is ridiculously resolved. I still have many metres of the Belden cable too. These days my speaker cables are DC stuff from Jaycar.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Built them in 2002. Yeah. They work. But nope they ain't worth it unless your cable runs are ridiculously long or your speaker system is ridiculously resolved. I still have many metres of the Belden cable too. These days my speaker cables are DC stuff from Jaycar.
Which dc cable from Jaycar? I'm wiring up a 7.1 system in the not too distant future.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
So my new Project Debut Carbon turned up on my doorstep yesterday :)

debutr-480x480.jpg

Didn't get home until late, so I've only balanced the tone arm - will connect it up tonight!

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
So this week I finally got my HiFi set up & have started re-discovering all the milk crates of CD's I haven't listened to in years.

Basically it has taken me about 12 months to collect the components, on the cheap, to create a great little system for our living room.

Speakers:
First I bought a pair of slightly used Focal Chorus 706's for peanuts on fleabay. I had listened to these at a HiFi store in Melbourne & I loved their clarity & control. No the bassiest speakers around but the mids & highs are phenomenal at that price point.
A little while later I bought the matching sub from the same seller for a fraction of the cost of a new one. He/she was de-constructing a large surround system.
So then they sat in their boxes for about a year while I saved up more moola (bloody mtn bikes don't help the "general entertainment" account!)

I used the time to research a lot of amps & multi-room systems & receivers etc etc. I ended up coming full circle & buying a fairly straight forward 2 channel integrated amp - the Yamaha AS-701.
It has enough power to drive big floor standers, dedicated sub output, a couple of digital inputs...oh, and it has that Yamaha quality/consistency. It's built like a tank & is unapologetically retro & stereo quality focused.

So far I am properly blown away with how good this set up sounds.

What's next?
Well, probably a good quality streaming box to replace the silly Apple TV.
A turn table & some vinyl is high on the list for sure.
....and a better CD player - currently using a shitty cheapo one - it's all I had.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
BTW - can anyone advise whether I should try to have my old NAD CD player repaired?....or don't bother and buy a new player...?
The tray is not responding to the open/close button....and I think the screen is buggered (or at least the illumination has failed....)

It's prolly about 15 to 20 years old, but was a decent spend back when I got it. It seems a shame to abandon a NAD component.

I'm half tempted to pop the cover off & see if I can track down the issue....but I only know enough to be "dangerous"....

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Can't see where you are located. The best place for repairs in Sydney is Electronics Today in Lane Cove shopping centre, just down the road from Len Wallis Audio.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
So this week I finally got my HiFi set up & have started re-discovering all the milk crates of CD's I haven't listened to in years.

Basically it has taken me about 12 months to collect the components, on the cheap, to create a great little system for our living room.

Speakers:
First I bought a pair of slightly used Focal Chorus 706's for peanuts on fleabay. I had listened to these at a HiFi store in Melbourne & I loved their clarity & control. No the bassiest speakers around but the mids & highs are phenomenal at that price point.
A little while later I bought the matching sub from the same seller for a fraction of the cost of a new one. He/she was de-constructing a large surround system.
So then they sat in their boxes for about a year while I saved up more moola (bloody mtn bikes don't help the "general entertainment" account!)

I used the time to research a lot of amps & multi-room systems & receivers etc etc. I ended up coming full circle & buying a fairly straight forward 2 channel integrated amp - the Yamaha AS-701.
It has enough power to drive big floor standers, dedicated sub output, a couple of digital inputs...oh, and it has that Yamaha quality/consistency. It's built like a tank & is unapologetically retro & stereo quality focused.

So far I am properly blown away with how good this set up sounds.

What's next?
Well, probably a good quality streaming box to replace the silly Apple TV.
A turn table & some vinyl is high on the list for sure.
....and a better CD player - currently using a shitty cheapo one - it's all I had.
I've done similar - just build up from from gumtree purchases and then got the new TT to "finish" it off. Got old Harmon Kardon (Japan built) amp from ~1990 and some Mordaunt-Short speakers of same era.

I'm now (he says) looking at getting an integrated amp w/DAC and bluetooth and phono stage - NAD C-368 would be nice.

I've packed away all my CDs again. After listening to them for a weekend or two, and now having access to my records again, I think I might just get rid of them...

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I've done similar - just build up from from gumtree purchases and then got the new TT to "finish" it off. Got old Harmon Kardon (Japan built) amp from ~1990 and some Mordaunt-Short speakers of same era.

I'm now (he says) looking at getting an integrated amp w/DAC and bluetooth and phono stage - NAD C-368 would be nice.

I've packed away all my CDs again. After listening to them for a weekend or two, and now having access to my records again, I think I might just get rid of them...
I was going to ask, how's the TT sound? It looks fantastic! Do you have much vinyl?
Did you research a lot and then chose that make/model for any particular reason? (I haven't even put a toe in the water with TT's yet).

Although I haven't had my CD's out much over the last 10 years, I don't think I could throw 'em. I had forgotten how good the sound is after years of compressed digital files.
I'd love one of these to fully digitise my collection.....

http://www.bluesound.com/products/vault-2/?cl

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I have the 368 & it's a cracker. If you go that way get the bluesound module for internet radio & to access all your music files on a hard drive. Rip all your CDs & then flog them. Unfortunately I had all my CDs compressed into itunes so the quality drop is noticeable, still toying with the idea of ripping them all over to a NAS as full files. Internet radio, particularly from the big US/ UK stations, sounds amazing, well worth a look if you're into odd new music like myself. My turntable has a phono stage built in which I can't bypass so can't comment on the amp's phono. The bluesound app has its occaisonal glitches but I'm hoping this will be sorted out over time.

Another option was the Yamaha RN602 or something like that. A mate of mine in Perth got one earlier this year but I haven't heard a log term report yet. I had a listen to both back to back & yeah, the NAD is sweeter, quite a bit more spendy though.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Can't see where you are located. The best place for repairs in Sydney is Electronics Today in Lane Cove shopping centre, just down the road from Len Wallis Audio.
Launceston.
I think there's a general electronics repairer somewhere in town. Might get a quote.....

I remember years & years ago I had my old KEF's rebuilt by a guy in Lane Cove.....I think his business was "AMPK" or something similiar.
Seems to be a lot of HiFi industry around Lane Cove....

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Although I haven't had my CD's out much over the last 10 years, I don't think I could throw 'em. I had forgotten how good the sound is after years of compressed digital files.
I reckon this is the reason records have kicked off again. CDs don't sound bad, we've all been listening to mp3s for the past decade.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I have the 368 & it's a cracker. If you go that way get the bluesound module for internet radio & to access all your music files on a hard drive. Rip all your CDs & then flog them. Unfortunately I had all my CDs compressed into itunes so the quality drop is noticeable, still toying with the idea of ripping them all over to a NAS as full files. Internet radio, particularly from the big US/ UK stations, sounds amazing, well worth a look if you're into odd new music like myself. My turntable has a phono stage built in which I can't bypass so can't comment on the amp's phono. The bluesound app has its occaisonal glitches but I'm hoping this will be sorted out over time.

Another option was the Yamaha RN602 or something like that. A mate of mine in Perth got one earlier this year but I haven't heard a log term report yet. I had a listen to both back to back & yeah, the NAD is sweeter, quite a bit more spendy though.
I very, very nearly bought the RN602. Very clever product - so much functionality.
In the end I went for the AS 701 just because it's a little "purer" in it's design brief.........& I'm a sucker for horsepower.

The NAD integrated amps were a close second on my list....but I didn't feel the vfm was quite as good as Yamaha (that's subjective, I know). I have so many interests & hobbies I really have to weigh up every penny sometimes (sigh).

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I reckon this is the reason records have kicked off again. CDs don't sound bad, we've all been listening to mp3s for the past decade.
Very true. I was demo-ing amps the other day at the store. We switched from "high quality" MP3 to CD - it was so obvious how much more detail the CD had.

I'm looking forward to playing vinyl when time/funds permit.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I very, very nearly bought the RN602. Very clever product - so much functionality.
In the end I went for the AS 701 just because it's a little "purer" in it's design brief.........& I'm a sucker for horsepower.

The NAD integrated amps were a close second on my list....but I didn't feel the vfm was quite as good as Yamaha (that's subjective, I know). I have so many interests & hobbies I really have to weigh up every penny sometimes (sigh).
I hear you, 2 very expensive hobbies on these very pages.

The amp is the only new bit I've bought, all the rest is (hopefully) solid older kit. Actually my good bike is much the same, mostly good quality SH parts with new drivetrain bits as needed.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I was going to ask, how's the TT sound? It looks fantastic! Do you have much vinyl?
Did you research a lot and then chose that make/model for any particular reason? (I haven't even put a toe in the water with TT's yet).

I'd love one of these to fully digitise my collection.....

http://www.bluesound.com/products/vault-2/?cl
Yeah I researched at price points, decided $500 would get me something decent. It was down to the Rega RP1 and the ProJect. Audio Technica have good direct drive offerings for this price too, but the other brands get higher scores for sound AND I think look good since they are very minimal. In the end the Project is/was on special at Aussie HiFi, and came in lots of colours :)

I have a lot of records from when I was into DJing (it was 2001! progressive house was huge!), but also have picked up the occasional album. I dont have heaps, but enough to get building a collection - more into metal these days.

Nice to hear someone has one! I'll keep an eye out for sales, but I think I've also got the same issue as you blokes - one play account for numerous expensive hobbies!

I also think records + streaming is the best combination to get new music, and collect your favourites.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I hear you, 2 very expensive hobbies on these very pages.

The amp is the only new bit I've bought, all the rest is (hopefully) solid older kit. Actually my good bike is much the same, mostly good quality SH parts with new drivetrain bits as needed.
p.s. I checked out those technology malls you recommended in Singapore. Almost bought the new Sony WH1000mx2 headphones that have only just come out in Aus now. Also demo'd a lot of other headphones and drooled over tube amps and lots of other things haha. cheers!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My preamp died yesterday, great timing. Looking at replacing it with a valve preamp. Quad QC24 or PrimaLuna ProLogue or Icon LA4.

Anyone got these or similar? Any comments?