The HiFi thread

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
After diving into the world of streaming, using the Chromecast Audio, we decided to retire the CD player (Sony CD XA3ES) and flac-rip all to a NAS:

https://www.bluesound.com/products/vault-2/

CBF’d building a solution, we just wanted an all in one, this one gets great reviews.

Plus the DAC performance will kill the 1996 CD player version...even the CCA does!

And apparently the BluOS app is even nicer to use than the Sonus one, which is amazing.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
How much? I got 1/3rd the way though my disc collection using Exact Audio Copy, it’s a huge effort and I cbf finishing.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Got it for $1.1k, retails for $2k.

Cheap but expensive all at the same time.

I call it cheap as it's a DAC/NAS/streamer with supposedly excellent app control.

scblack

Leucocholic
I very nearly went down a similar process hifi.

But then I got a Spotify family service. Everything is there without the stuffing around.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Spotify plays on your stereo via?

This is a Spotify streamer too, also links with pretty much every other streaming service natively.

scblack

Leucocholic
Spotify plays on your stereo via?

This is a Spotify streamer too, also links with pretty much every other streaming service natively.
Spotify into amp via PS4. Or can Bluetooth via phone. And you can use settings to specify highest quality sound.

Minlak

custom titis
Why are you playing Spotify on your stereo? Surely you have the entire house wired with speakers so that they follow you from room to room so you always get teh “jam”

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
How much? I got 1/3rd the way though my disc collection using Exact Audio Copy, it’s a huge effort and I cbf finishing.
Similar deal for me with the folks' collection with dBpoweramp cd ripper. My modem has a dlna (UPnP) server built in so we use that for hosting. They've got some cool stuff on vinyl but I don't have the patience.

goobags

Likes Dirt
I’m in a similar boat - almost a confession but not quite. Moved from Squeezebox to Sonos, all good and fairly straight forward. Set up Spotify which I’m new too which is more for the better half but still pretty cool.

Then my music collection on the NAS. Add it fine, index the files all good but no aiff support. Not happy and currently transcoding approx 5000 songs from aiff to apple lossless as I’m too ingrained in the apple ecosystem to go FLAC. Some choice words later and it’s still a work in progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MasterOfReality

After forever
I bought the yamaha music cast thing. Plugs into the amp and connects to your wifi. I think from there you can buy individual speakers to place around the house.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The process has begun:

Obviously not its final resting place, we need to have it where we walk past all the time. This will take a week I reckon.

UI is lovely:

Only listened with headphones so far via the reasonable headphone stage - still sounded bloody nice.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
No display, all run through the BluOS app.

There's a volume & forward/back pad on the top of the unit, but it's best hidden inside a cupboard with the volume set to fixed output.

The pre or integrated power amp can then provide volume control.

Of course I'd like a Naim Uniti Atom - it has a display...but it's $4k!

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Ha - this is nuts!

We dug out an old iPad we've not used for years expecting it to be dead (iPad 2 from 2011), but...

1. It still had charge in the battery
  2. It booted & runs the BluOS app!
Welcome our new dedicated remote control :p

Of course, anyone can control the Bluesound in the house with the app on their device, but it's nice with one purposed for this especially.

Last edited: