The HiFi thread

Apologies for the long post.

So it appears I had a DAC after all, a WDTV which I have connect to my telly, my amp and my NAS. It all seems to be playing together nicely.

All my CDs were ripped using Itunes, i haven't done the Pepsi challenge between the ripped version and the CD, I'll probs just convince myself the CD sounds better.

The balance of my music were mp3s off easynews (fuck you Lars, I obtained Metallica and never listened to them because your drumming is so shit). Had a listen to Tool 10,000 Days and its a bit brittle at volume, like there's a bit missing. But Spirit Chaser by Dead Can Dance is great. So I'll probs get the occasional CD where it really matters (where I can, fuck you Maynard).

BUT

Now I'm using the NAS as a media server I am delving into an area that is well unknown for me. I originally went to the NAS coz I was scared of losing my digital photos and the videos of my kids. I have a QNAP 2 bay NAS with two 2 TB drives. One is the source data, the other is the RAID configured back up (I don't know what that means) and then I have an external drive connected for another back up. Its not a perfect system, theft or fire will see me lose everything but at least not drive failure.

I was using Twonky media server but it didn't pick up some go pro videos, it did pick up other go pro videos. Apparently its no longer supported.

So I need some advice as to how I best set this thing up now Twonky is kaput, I'd like to keep using the WDTV with the NAS, any thoughts ?

EDIT: I think the answer is use the native app for streaming video and music coz the WDTV is DLNA.

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

After forever
Probably doesn't quite fit here but here goes.

I have some Paradigm MilleniaOnes that aren't being used:

https://www.paradigm.com/products-archived/series=millenia/model=milleniaone-2.0-system/page=specs

I'm setting up a home office and thought it might be good to put them to use.

Has anybody had experiences with small desktop amps like the Audioengine N22 or similar?

https://audioengineusa.com/shop/amplifiers/n22-desktop-audio-amplifier/

I'd rather get something thats small form factor and can sit on the desk nicely instead of a full blown receiver.

Or should I not bother and just get something like the Bose Companion 20 or similar? I actually like Bose headphones and sound docks. Home theater stuff not so much!

Cheers.
After much procrastination, ended up getting a set of JBL Professional 104 studio monitors. JB HiFi have them for $198.

Very happy with them.

https://jblpro.com/en-US/products/104

MasterOfReality

After forever
Yes, integrated 60W D Class amplifier.

I installed Equilizer APO and did some minor tweaking to suit my tastes and I can't believe how good these are for their size.

I was just after something cheap to start with, had a listen to a 2.1 logitech system at Hardly Normal and shuddered. $30 more for the JBLs is a no brainer for me!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I bought some Beyer DT990s now that I'm working from home. At work I use my DT250s which I bought around 2011 and still love. Wanted an open back pair with a bit more bass and upfront presentation than the AD700s I've also had for years.

The DT990s are great for metal and electronic music, and gaming. Just running them through my Audioengine D1, but will need a new amp/DAC for home when we eventually go back to work.

Thinking the Schiit stack (Modi / Magni), but it just went up in price due to AUD. Some of the ProJect options seem ok too.

Anyone else running a headphone amp setup?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I am:

Chose portable because headphones are portable.

Best portable dac/amp I’ve ever listened to (and I have, at length) is the Chord Mojo. Will buy one when funds permit.

This Fiio is awesome in the meantime (got it used off stereo.net.au).

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
This will be confined to my desk at home so don't need portability - have PXC 550s for portability and some IEMs failing that.

But the Fiios might be cool in any case, seems the E12 isn't readily available?

Chords always get good reviews but look like they were designed from a terrible winamp skin. But I guess you don't look at it until you change volume haha

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I am:

Chose portable because headphones are portable.

Best portable dac/amp I’ve ever listened to (and I have, at length) is the Chord Mojo. Will buy one when funds permit.

This Fiio is awesome in the meantime (got it used off stereo.net.au).
I like FiiO - i have one of their iPod knock offs and it sounds amazing.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
This will be confined to my desk at home so don't need portability - have PXC 550s for portability and some IEMs failing that.

But the Fiios might be cool in any case, seems the E12 isn't readily available?

Chords always get good reviews but look like they were designed from a terrible winamp skin. But I guess you don't look at it until you change volume haha
Got a spare one of these cheap if you want? https://headfonics.com/2016/10/the-x1-2nd-gen-dap-by-fiio/

But either way, FiiO stuff in general is the real deal.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Thanks, but really after a desktop setup. We can't go anywhere these days, so may as well work away at my desk with decent sound.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Thanks, but really after a desktop setup. We can't go anywhere these days, so may as well work away at my desk with decent sound.
Yep all good. I’m doing fine with having the good stereo already in the “office” :) (excuse the mess...)

link1896

Mr Greenfield
After some negotiation, I think the big klipsch system is coming home.

They will be flush mounted into a floor to ceiling, 11m long cabinetry that will be a mixture of shelves and draws. In the short/medium term I’ll put my old speakers back together. Heil AMT, focal 5k413 mids, peerless XLS in a sealed alignment.

Going to be hard to build a centre channel speaker that can keep up with the klipsch.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
After some negotiation, I think the big klipsch system is coming home.

They will be flush mounted into a floor to ceiling, 11m long cabinetry that will be a mixture of shelves and draws. In the short/medium term I’ll put my old speakers back together. Heil AMT, focal 5k413 mids, peerless XLS in a sealed alignment.

Going to be hard to build a centre channel speaker that can keep up with the klipsch.

clockworked

Like an orange
I want music in 3 more rooms at work.
I really like the bush heritage DABs but i can't find them for sale any more.
What other alternatives do i have for a wireless speaker system? Either dab, bluetooth or internet subscription streaming? Reasonable sound quality would be good
I see sonos everywhere, but it seems overpriced.