The Husky 100ker

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Been raining heavy for hours here. Was down at callala beach pizza place.. And it rained heavy for the duration. Not keen :( any word from the official guys?

Ps pizza place was a joke. almost 2 hours wait!

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Been raining heavy for hours here. Was down at callala beach pizza place.. And it rained heavy for the duration. Not keen :( any word from the official guys?

Ps pizza place was a joke. almost 2 hours wait!
Yeah we asked in there and they said over and hour wait for food so we went to the pub in greenhill point.
I doubt they'll cancel now, unless it floods they've got too much invested with all the sponsors and punters already here. Can anyone familiar with the tracks give an idea of what riding conditions will be like?

Last edited:

struggles

Likes Dirt
Its been a few hours without rain now. Most of the Singletrack wil be fine but the fire roads will be very sticky.

Elders Weather now says 40% chance of less than 1mm of rain.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Conditions were pretty wet and bikes suffered. Personally I didn't find it fun, ready to pull the pin at 35km but there was a distinct lack of marshaling on course so I was forced to keep riding until I saw another 20km of bike destroying mud before I found someone else riding out and followed him. Still hadn't seen any marshals at that point so you'd have been up sh%t creek if you'd hurt yourself or had an unrideable bike.
Some nice single track but too many creeks/lakes to wade across for my liking, too many bogs too. Wasn't inspired and doubt I'll be back next year :(

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
great track, fast and fun.....but the mud, holy shit the mud, and puddles the size of swimming pools
it was horrifying listening to your drivetrain make the most horrible noises for 50 klms
still fun
ill be back next year

A to Z

Squid
Dnf

........ slip, slide and slush. Not my idea of a good ride. I did a right hand turn [on to the bitumen] at the 20k mark and retired hurt [feelings]. I need to feel in control of the bike and too often it was going in a different direction to my intention.... usually at a tree! I managed to stay upright but it was pretty ugly out the back [after the traffic] for the backmarkers aiming around 6 hours. Good luck to those who stuck at it, I hope the track improved later on.:clap2:

wolfjjj

Likes Dirt
Conditions were pretty wet and bikes suffered. Personally I didn't find it fun, ready to pull the pin at 35km but there was a distinct lack of marshaling on course so I was forced to keep riding until I saw another 20km of bike destroying mud before I found someone else riding out and followed him. Still hadn't seen any marshals at that point so you'd have been up sh%t creek if you'd hurt yourself or had an unrideable bike.
Some nice single track but too many creeks/lakes to wade across for my liking, too many bogs too. Wasn't inspired and doubt I'll be back next year :(
Doesnt sound too flash, glad I didn't fly up for it. How'd the bikes pull up? I'm assuming Tim didn't take the new hardtail out?

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Naah, wasn't that bad (although it was pretty bad). As a scarred vet of some of the worst bike eating races (cap punishment, syd 24) over the last few years, I was determined to just roll back to the car and bail if it was like those races (I live locally). But, for me at least, it wasn't that bad. AKA: brakes survived no worries, no shifting missed, bike nice and functional all the way. Having said that, there was a lot of squishy fire road slogs and some almightily deep pools. Picked a wrong line near the finish and dead set almost lost the bike in there as I dismounted.

But then again, I only did the 50. I suspect I was home showered and bike washed well before 12.30, so the experience of the 100k people might be different! Hopefully they had some more interesting single track for thier trouble than we did...

PS: This was my first wet race using that Squirt lube- after many years of searching, I think I may have found the holt grail- long lasting AND clean (I used to think you could only pick one)!

guyc

Squid
I did the 100k, suffered on the first half but then I think I got the hang of all the sliding around (or the track dried out a bit) and I actually enjoyed it.

Very tough race due to the conditions but I'm glad I did it. :)

Riderdown

Likes Bikes
SCUM side

From SCUM we were dissapionted it rained Saturday night as we had some great drying weather in the week leading upto the HUSKY100, had the race been Saturday it would have been super fast with tacky smooth tracks everywhere. We've worked hard on our tracks and had confidence in them holding up and we hoped you enjoyed Coondoo, Superbowl and Butterfly.

Thanks to Matt and Amanda and the Blackheart team for their support, we've found it to be very positive and appreciated the postponement earlier in the year.

For those that joined us on Saturday for our club time trial, it was good to be able to put on something so you could make a weekend of it.

Lookout for the NSW State Championships coming later in the month, we have Duncan Miller from DIYMTB, www.diymtb.com.au , working hard from the SCUM side to get the Superbowl course to a very high standard.

Cheers
Matt
SCUM President

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Raced it, loved it. Was not that bad really. Bit of mud, few creek crossings and wades. It is mountain biking you know. No dramas.

Well done Scum - always excellent tracks, despite the weather.

Shame about the few who went the wrong way in the 100km, but everyone else got it right so just a bit of bad concentration.

If there is anyone who has links to the golf club, please say thanks for letting us use the carpark, and also for turning a lot of grass into mud.

Great race. See you next year.

P.S. I was a similar place overall to last year and was 30mins slower this time. Mud is slow going!

pinarlusu

Likes Bikes
first 100k race. took much longer than expected because of the mud! just need to empty my pockets now with a new chain, cassette, pads and may be rotors

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Doesnt sound too flash, glad I didn't fly up for it. How'd the bikes pull up? I'm assuming Tim didn't take the new hardtail out?
Wasn't as bad as the otway but it was sad listening to the grind, and yes Tim did take the hard tail out and now he's grumpy about it

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Didn't enjoy myself at all. I didn't think the event management was up to scratch compared to the other 100km events I have raced. I won't be back next year.

Stars of the day was the groups of elderly scout leaders running the (rather poorly supplied) feed stations. I would've pulled the plug if it wasn't for their infectious enthusiasm. I am very greatful to them.

tate6969

Likes Bikes
Wasn't it this race last year where troy glennan who wqs well placed went the wrong way and lost a load of spots? Poor concentration or poor track marking?