The Husky 100ker

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I just speed-read the new posts. The main thing I could take from it is a few more people will be doing the Fling CX??
When I last spoke to Huw he said there were 14 entries, we'll see how many of them are tough enough to show up on the day.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Those results are still 'wrong'. They still include people that I know for a fact took a short-cut, and they admitted it.

It will be interesting to see how many do the right thing and 'fess up, as at the sharp end, it effects the overall series results as well as the individual race.

bt100

Likes Dirt
The fact it's part of the XCM Series and with the track layout the way it is they really did need more marshals on the track. It would be good if you could just trust people but unfortunately not.

Also from a safety point of view they needed more IMHO.

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Those results are still 'wrong'. They still include people that I know for a fact took a short-cut, and they admitted it.

It will be interesting to see how many do the right thing and 'fess up, as at the sharp end, it effects the overall series results as well as the individual race.
This is what i heard/found out/was told about the 'shortcut', or people taking a wrong turn, which ever you choose to think:

-It was a decent size group made up of elite and some from the front of the 1st wave of open/vets/masters etc.
-I don't believe I was ever part of this group, mainly because i never caught any elite groups, i did 3/4 of the course in a group of 3 that broke away from the main bunch of the 1st wave (but obviously wasnt the 1st break in the 1st wave).
-My name was highlighted as "protested", though to be honest probably 22 out of the top 25 results were highlighted?
-I was asked at the end if i went past the KOM sign? And yep i did, i dont see how you couldn't have. Anyway when I said yes, the organisers replied "great! you're ok then!". If the group that took the wrong turn missed the KOM climb they must have taken a wrong turn pretty early? I seem to remember that long climb pretty early on? (first 30km i think? might be wrong, memory not great)
-I most definately did take a wrong turn somewhere between 80 and 85km, BUT i was yelled at by a couple of guys fixing a flat, and soon saw my mistake (few red X's down the trail I was going) then turned around and went into the single track. Few guys followed me but we all turned around and went the right way, probably only went the wrong way for 20 meters.

I honestly dont thnik the group who took a wrong turn were aiming to cheat, i dont see why you would in an event like that.

Drama aside, it was an epic race. I've never done a 100ker that muddy. Some of the puddles would have been a meter deep easily. I saw one of 2 guys go head first into them, and almost endedup completely submerged. I think some of the worst bits where the fairly rough singletrack where it just felt like you were litterally right up a creekbed. Ruts everywhere, often not enough room on the top of the ruts (not for my 6'4 body anyway). Creek crossing made the Fling's creak crossing look tame too.

Anyway, it was fun at times, but horrible at other points - tough but rewarding day in the saddle.

Lukespook

Likes Bikes
Thanks be to Amanda, Matt and all who helped put this event together.:clap2:
No comments on the weather/conditions - it was what it was.
Decided to ride my 8speed IGH bike to help avoid derailleur/mud issues - worked great, but I did not have the best tyres for the race, only had Crossmarks, Michy XC Dry or 1.95 Kendas to choose from - used the Kendas because of the open tread pattern to disperse the mud, as I heard the Crossmarks weren't the best option in damp conditions. Not too many hairy moments, or maybe I wasn't pushing enough.
Personally improved on my last years time for the 50K by 49 minutes - was hoping to improve by 60 mins though - wasn't to be.
Very courteous riders going past me (there were plenty) - friendly event.
Very unfortunate regarding wrongturn/shortcut/s - I witnesssed one guy cut at an area where it worms back and forth in a little tight twisty section (not sure what section is called, but scum would have a name for the area), were many riders around at the time and was blatant - would have only saved around 30 seconds - the rider only fooling himself ultimately - don't believe many would do.
More concerning was the wrongturn mentioned in earlier posts, especially for those in the XCM series.
Was that one affecting the 100K or the 50K track ?
Some direction arrows were easier to see than others, but they were there.
Plan to be back for next years event - great track and location.
Well done to all who competed.
:02.47-tranquillity:

Last edited:

mikecin

Squid
I was in that group that got lost - I was in the long sleeve Turramurra Cyclery gear. We started in the first non-elite wave and we caught some of the elites before the 25km mark. There were a few guys up the road, so we were effectively the open/vet/masters "chase group". There was probably between 15 and 20 of us at the most.

I remember seeing the 25km mark, going past the first feed station shortly after, doing heaps of single track and then saw a 40km mark. I thought that was weird, but perhaps they go the 40km and 30km signs mixed up. But, no, the next was the 45 and then 50. Bummer - race over effectively. I didn't see a KOM sign.

By this stage I could hardly change gears any more and was not really having much fun. Regardless, its not like you can actually "pull out" so I trudged along. In Coondoo, Matt Flemming passed me and Dylan passed shortly after up than insanely slippery climb before the 75km mark. At 75km, I saw Theo there and spoke to him about it. He thought there were about 5 guys ahead of me (not including elite). I put the hammer down for the last 25km and finished, where I spoke to a marshal about this. THere were a few other guys already there and a few rolled in after that were part of that same group and we all told the same story. We're an honest bunch, us mountain bikers!

My ride time was 4hrs 39 and I think I chopped off about 11km. They added 1 hour to my time which I thought was a bit extreme. I was hoping for a top 10. I'm pretty bumbed about the whole thing to be honest - its a lot of entry money, training, commute and massive amount of wear and tear on the bike for nothing to show for it. Its no-ones fault, its just bad luck and its what happens when you "follow the leader". Even still, I was always looking out for markers and didn't see anything that said we shouldn't go that way ... whereever that was.

Does anyway have a GPS of the actually route? I've got one on strava - I'd be keen to see where we should have went.

In saying all that, man I'd love to do that in the dry! What a smash fest it would have been!

Cheers,
Mike

mooze

Likes Bikes
Hey All
Thanks for the feedback.
Lessons for us next year -
- more marshalls - the ones we had were late and in the wrong place. There were also two roving paramedics on course at all times for those concerned about injury.
- if it's muddy people aren't going to drink water but they will dump close to twice what we calculated on their chains/bikes etc - redo caluculations for next year. Also we stocked aid stations with pineapple, lollies etc - if you think we need to provide different let us know - shoot me an email or PM. We're never going to be able to please everyones tastes and keep the race costs reasonable but we will always see what we can do if we get a large number of requests for the same item.
- that people will follow each other whether there are arrows, crosses and orange tape in place or not.

What happened with the short cut and timing to clear things up -
A group from the second wave (first wave after elite) and also some of the elite who had fallen back went through an incorrect turn despite arrows, crosses and orange tape being in place to guide people. They were the only group who took this wrong turn (we've been back and walked the tracks and also sent a marshall into place asap). We know for the most part who they were - they missed the KOM point camera, so we've been back and reviewed footage and lists of who went through there for the front group. We needed to talk to others who we had seen on camera who would have been doing similar times so that we could ensure being as accurate as possible as a backup to the KOM point. We do not believe these people intentionally took a wrong turn, as the main description was being in a tight pack, hence time penalties have been applied and not DNF's. It was not done against the spirit of mtb racing, and the vast majority have been honest with us in regards to their mistake.
Again anyone with issues with the above is welcome to PM or email me. Feedback will be taken on board, however the penalty has also been discussed and agreed with with the Series organisers.

We do apologise for the delay in presentation however we did need to resolve the above issue to the best of our abilities at the time before presentations.

One other thing I do want to applaud the riders on - we've so far found much less rubbish on the course than previously. Thank you!

The Garmin is awaiting it's owner, as well as several other items of lost property. Please email me if you think any are yours. (and for the garmin you'll need to be able to tell me where your other activities were that are in the garmin log)

Now back to clean up.

mikecin

Squid
Someone else has already posted their Garmin - thanks.

It looks like we made a wrong turn in the Singletrack at about km 31. The track goes left and does a big loop and comes back on pipeline road, whereas we followed the singletrack and ended up rejoning by sheer fluke! We were on the singletrack, joined Tallowwood Road, and then took a right onto more single track (now the wrong way, should have kept going up Tallowwood) and joined the singletrack that was at the end of Pipeline.

Bugger. I'm going to be bummed for days.

mooze

Likes Bikes
Also a quick thank you to the riders who told us about the motorbikes near Coondoo - apologise to those who did get slightly lost (would have been about 80k markish for 100kers, around 30-35k markish for 50kers). Marshall was rerouted and signs corrected when we were alerted to the problem. We have also asked State Forest for further backup next year given it is meant to be a "closed forest" for the duration of the event.

Also a heads up for the locals and other riding in the area - there are now shooters in there, if you are riding near dark please ensure you have lights on. Two of our marshalls bringing in signs on south side got the fright of their lives last night (not shot at but heard shots and then a well equipped vehicle went past soon after).

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Just a few observations:
  • were there trail moto riders moving signs at the pointy end of the 100ker? My son who was riding along side of the likes of Jenny Fay and Beck Mates, saw a trail rider out there and my son claims that the trail rider was changing signs??? Could that explain people taking the wrong tracks??
  • it was good to have a chat with a few riders (Peter and Ed) along the way - kept the spirit alive whan at times was flagging deeply
  • I liked the design of this years course with more single track, BUT the weather made the sandy loam of the newly cut in sniggle (after butterfly c50kms?) into one long slog through sloppy quicksand. Thanks for SCUM for putting in more of super bowl.
  • At one feed station a well meaning supporter put 2 shotz into my water bottle and I couldn't get out the taste of salt from my mouth all race, Never again!
  • the puddles were not much different than last year but the red clay fireroads were atrocious as energy sappers.
  • Why would anyone deliberatley try to cut out sections of a course? For places?? Hardly. It's an adventure race after all and yes we all like to do as well as we can and maybe pip a few others or not. You either finish the race or you pull out all together, and by the sounds of it some princesses didn;t start, (they have cash in their pocket, with no equipment replacements) and some after spyiing out 20-30-50 etc decided to pull the plug). But again, for the life of me, how could anyone mindfully decide to take short cuts... if caught ... sorry you don;t get an entry again... and anme and shame...
  • overall personal comparative result was good, when all the while I thought I was a back marker......
  • now to get 2 bikes sorted out...

Last edited:

mooze

Likes Bikes
Two more things -
One for those who want to come back next year - mugs, tshirts, towels or other for race bag?

And for anyone in the Brisbane area - good mechanic to take my single speed 29er - same boat as many here, I'll need to replace a couple of things after loaning it out to a racer for yesterday.

mikecin

Squid
Just to make it absolutely clear, no-one from the group that I was in (the infamous group who cut a chunk out at the 30km mark) deliberately did so. We were an excellent bunch of guys, supporting each other, having a chat, cheering, heckling, taking turns on the front etc - just the way enduro mountain biking should be. It was a pure accident that we cut that section out, and when we finished the unanimous feeling was of a "hollow accomplishment".

Thanks to the organisers for not DNF'ing us. That would have rubbed even more salt in the wounds.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Just a few observations:
Why would anyone deliberatley try to cut out sections of a course? For places?? Hardly. It's an adventure race after all and yes we all like to do as well as we can and maybe pip a few others or not. You either finish the race or you pull out all together, and by the sounds of it some princesses didn;t start, (they have cash in their pocket, with no equipment replacements) and some after spyiing out 20-30-50 etc decided to pull the plug). But again, for the life of me, how could anyone mindfully decide to take short cuts... if caught ... sorry you don;t get an entry again... and anme and shame...
I certainly dont think anyone did it on purpose. Its easily done (head down, bum up etc). The issue is those that know they took a short cut by accident, but dont 'fess up.
I started in the front / first wave, didnt get over-taken by anyone at any point, yet found myself passing at least 10 or so riders during the race. Some of them even suggested that I had taken a 'long cut' and that they were in the right. The garmin suggested otherwise as we passed a km marker....
Honestly, it doesnt affect my result at all, so I have little interest in this really, other than in the interests of the sport.
Those riders probably wont have seen the results yet though, so to give them credit, I am sure when they do, and they see the mistake that has been made on their behalf, they will do the right thing.

joej

Cannon Fodder
i took off in the 3rd wave and caught the 2 wave at around the 10km mark then moved up to the lead pack on the 2 wave, as we were going past some of the TV and spectators they where saying we were the front group, this seamed odd and we still thought we were the lead group behind the elites, just before i crossed the finish line M Fleming passed me and this is when i thought something is not wright, after i recovered i asked the lady at the front desk and she said a bunch of us took a wrong turn and asked me did you see the KOM sign, i did not see the KOM and i did not pass D cooper either who crossed the line just after me, to put all that effort into a race and not do the full course is the worst feeling, it cost a lot of money on tickets and gear not to mention time spent in training, feel like shit!!!

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Two more things -
One for those who want to come back next year - mugs, tshirts, towels or other for race bag?
I kind of liked the socks at dirtworks - come in handy.

I certainly dont think anyone did it on purpose. Its easily done (head down, bum up etc). The issue is those that know they took a short cut by accident, but dont 'fess up.
Yep - see your point - bet the accidental excursioners will fess up once the mud dries and the dust settles. (Just hope that no-one took advantage of situations where the course was unmarshalled...) Commisserations to those who felt gutted that they didn;t race the same track (in part), than the track the rest raced on.... A time correction was a correct decision. (Have seen similar situations where DQ have been unjustly used).

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Dear Mr October26... Ozimad - where were you?

Race kings will be good mate. Eskars would be overkill for this track.
hmmmm... luckily I took the eskars with me, yes they were fat and slow,
a perfect match between tyre and rider
...but they held the line when I saw bikes heading for the scrub,
my front popped out of the big mud holes, when others dug in... and over.

WooHoo I might just come second last now..
OK Mr Ozimad, how'd you go?
I came in ahead of 2nd last in the old farts.
I didn't hear anyone singing country or western,
I guess your mouth was shut to keep the mud out?
were you humming? Dolly Partion perhaps?

ttfn, CarpetRunner

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
Here you go. That was definitely hard going today.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/104601038
There's only 95km of route there, was this the short cut version?

I was in the first wave after the elites, and apparently we took some short cut, I have no idea where. Others in my group with computers on had 93km on their displays... So the above must be the short cut and I am confused about the 11km that we missed is, anchor it happened (I had no idea until we crossed the line). We also screwed at the 65k point with an under marked corner that took some standing around in a group debating which way to go to get right.

Mostly I am just gutted to spend almost a grand on food, accom, fuel, entry and bike damage only to get an event that was under marked, under marshaled, had no food on offer and the kick to the guts was a 1 hour time penalty when I had done my best.

Gutted.

Marky069

Likes Bikes
Wow

Wow, what a day.

Steped up to the 100 with trepidation considering the rain the night before, but so glad that i did. It was tough and sloppy but the sense of achievement at finishing that monster is something else.

the food stop volunters were awesome and encouraging and despite what some have said, i think the course markings were excellent. i took a wrong turn at 1 point and got caught by 2 big red crosses telling me id gone wrong. i actually cant think of any point where i could have gone wrong and not realised. Sour grapes from those who went wrong one thinks, and i think your very lucky not to cop a DQ. 20 People miss a turn which means another 800 went the right way. think about it before criticising