The "I will ride _____km in 2024" thread - commit and conquer here!!

redbruce

Eats Squid
Well, i'm going to shoot high and aim for 2000km. Keeping in mind, i have a torn medial meniscus, and heart failure.
Wow, and I thought the truck gearbox was your sad story.

Good luck, just enjoy and work within your limits. No matter what anyone says, we would all like to be here for a long time (riding).

For me, while I did around 2000km for the year, little of it was through the middle 4 months of the year so I would like to do more in the "off" season to maintain fitness rather than the bust or boom approach last year.

2500 km target for 2016.

hakka

Likes Dirt
Started riding in march 15 and did 5400km on the MTB for the year, should get around 7000km this year.

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
Wow, and I thought the truck gearbox was your sad story.

Good luck, just enjoy and work within your limits. No matter what anyone says, we would all like to be here for a long time (riding).

For me, while I did around 2000km for the year, little of it was through the middle 4 months of the year so I would like to do more in the "off" season to maintain fitness rather than the bust or boom approach last year.

2500 km target for 2016.
Haha yer, dumped close to 10k on the truck just before Christmas, including some steer tyres redbruce, you'll be glad to know.

Science says, with heart failure, and a knee that likes to just dislocate if I stand on it wrong, I should probs not be doing a lot of Mountain biking.

Well I say , FUCK SCIENCE !

I would just like to show all the doubters, that you can achieve your goals if you set your mind to it. Stop making excuses, and get on with it.

on season, off season, fuck that redbruce, just go any season.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Great to see everyone aiming higher :)

Strava says I clocked 6350k for 2015, but Strava doesn't know all my secrets. Aiming for 10K in 2016 because masochism, wanting to go faster, and having more time to place bum on saddle. Mix of commuterbeasting, road and MTB.

...will I actually get there? who knows.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I have no idea of how far I ride each year, as I don't use strava, except to find new trails when I'm somewhere new. But other than motorbikes, all my pedalling riding is mountain bike... and I mtb ride three to five times a week... with most rides between an hour to an hour and a half... at say twelve kays an hour, worst case is 1872km ... and super optimistic is 4680km, which is clearly dreaming ... so I reckon probably 2000-ish. In the end I don't give a rats... as long as I'm riding.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
How do you find new trails using Strava?

I could use that function tonight as I don't know of any trails where I am at the moment.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Search up global heatmap johnny - it will show areas with lots of single track usage .

Get your first hint by using explore and looking for segments that are all tight and wiggly - like single track. .... ;). It's the travellers solution.....

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Search up global heatmap johnny - it will show areas with lots of single track usage .

Get your first hint by using explore and looking for segments that are all tight and wiggly - like single track. .... ;). It's the travellers solution.....

The Ashley Madison "travelling gentleman" of the cycling world?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Thanks, mate.

Unfortunately as I suspected there is squat where I am. Will just have to find a steep and rutted fire road and practice my climbing instead.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Thanks Lazmo, that was helpful. But again, it showed me that there is nothing in my area bar fire road climbs, which is what my tomorrow will be. Oh well, at least the downward bit will be fun.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Johnny, ride the fire trail in the climb, but descending ride the curbs, drains, culverts, embankments and whatever presents itself that has the hardest possible line. Make single track out of it.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, last time I drove the road it was badly washed out, only a 4WD would make it up so it should be interesting without trying to hard to make it such.

Pointer Gap Road up to Porters Dam in Shoalhaven, if anyone knows of it.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm actually quite a bit south of Nowra and don't have the time to drive too far northward. Conjola is about my limit for today.

I do come over this way quite a bit, though and might hit you up in a month or too.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Got 800km only last year,but aiming for 1500 in 2016. Hopefully this week in bright will see me off to a decent start.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Pointer Gap Road up to Porters Dam in Shoalhaven, if anyone knows of it.
Laughable to think that I ever thought I could climb that hill, on an AM bike...., with platforms. Not this little fat duck.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Reading some of these posts I don't feel so bad. We do an approximately 25k social ride once a month on average, usually on a retro 20". I've hardly raced this past year partly due to ongoing issues with the hand I mangled in the 2014 State Titles final, partly also due to other niggling injuries, and also because I caved and bought a car to get to work.

I'll still be driving to work a couple of days a week but I will commit to biking to study and the shops again this year. That's a 4.8k loop three times a week, one trip back loaded with groceries in the trailer.

So so not counting racing I'll hopefully make 1000k this year. If the health issues don't get in the way.