The "I will ride _____km in 2024" thread - commit and conquer here!!

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Mtb only.
156 rides
197hours
2580km
68,113VM.

Again short on last years 3000km goal, really thought id get there this year.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
This year didn't go as I'd hoped, for many reasons. Spent the last 6 months trying to chase my fitness with on again-off again riding.

Rides 100
65hrs
Distance - 1331
12,192VM

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll crack 2000 this arvo. Not nearly enough MTB, double I even managed 500km on dirt this year.
Been a big year off the bike, but since commuting to new work is easy, should see 3-4000km next year.

1978km
101hrs
19700m
106 rides.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK I'm gunna set an ambitious target of 1000km of offroad riding. And work up to doing two laps of the Millbrook trail for a regular ride.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never really tracked Kms in a year, but looking at my Strava I've had the best year in terms of distance and certainly hours.

At the start of the year I told myself I wanted to do a bit of racing so I started using a smart trainer and stuck to a training plan. So although it logs hours and kms it logs 0m for elevation. But I managed to build my FTP from a dismal 200w (80kg body weight) to 270w (72kg body weight) or 2.5w/kg to 3.75w/kg.

My actual goal for the year wasn't KM or hour based at all, it was power based. I wanted to hit a 280w FTP or 4w/kg. Unfortunately I didn't manage this as I got some really bad jaw pain that lasted for 4 months. Basically since August it's felt like I've needed a root canal, constant pressure and headaches that eventually has been relieved by chiropractor. I started with the dentist's and spent way too much money doing needless work hoping to fix it. It really did feel like dental pain.

Anyway, it's mostly gone now but I went to jump back into training and it turns out my Tacx has kicked the bucket so I'm trying to get that worked out with Pushy's at the moment as it's still in warranty.

So, stats

5122kms
238hrs
17,000m elevation

A lot of those hours spent slogging away on the trainer. It all paid off with a 3rd place finish at the Alfred 6hr in Bright in the team category.

2019 will be power based goals again. Aiming to hit 4w/kg. Stretch goal will be to get my weight under 70kg and any power number above 280w. Oh, and a lot more racing

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Never really tracked Kms in a year, but looking at my Strava I've had the best year in terms of distance and certainly hours.

At the start of the year I told myself I wanted to do a bit of racing so I started using a smart trainer and stuck to a training plan. So although it logs hours and kms it logs 0m for elevation. But I managed to build my FTP from a dismal 200w (80kg body weight) to 270w (72kg body weight) or 2.5w/kg to 3.75w/kg.

My actual goal for the year wasn't KM or hour based at all, it was power based. I wanted to hit a 280w FTP or 4w/kg. Unfortunately I didn't manage this as I got some really bad jaw pain that lasted for 4 months. Basically since August it's felt like I've needed a root canal, constant pressure and headaches that eventually has been relieved by chiropractor. I started with the dentist's and spent way too much money doing needless work hoping to fix it. It really did feel like dental pain.

Anyway, it's mostly gone now but I went to jump back into training and it turns out my Tacx has kicked the bucket so I'm trying to get that worked out with Pushy's at the moment as it's still in warranty.

So, stats

5122kms
238hrs
17,000m elevation

A lot of those hours spent slogging away on the trainer. It all paid off with a 3rd place finish at the Alfred 6hr in Bright in the team category.

2019 will be power based goals again. Aiming to hit 4w/kg. Stretch goal will be to get my weight under 70kg and any power number above 280w. Oh, and a lot more racing
If you get 4w/kg you will probably get some category wins on the Czar.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you get 4w/kg you will probably get some category wins on the Czar.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Gotta find an easier place to race . The Bendigo league has some bloody fast guys in it. Might look at racing the Ballarat league this year to mix it up since its a similar distance to drive. No idea on their usual turnout but Bendigo was getting over 100 riders each race. Best this year is an XCO format race was 7th at Harcourt.

But I gotta admit I was getting a little over 5am starts, 5 hrs total in the car with kids, just to do a 1.5hr race. Nothing compared to the 4 trips to Bright this year though, 11hrs overall each time

BT180

Max Pfaff
I didn't set any goals this year, other than to beat last year (which I already have by 400km). Here's mine.

MTB only

Distance 1,988.1 km
Time 166h 19m
Elev Gain 44,233 m
Rides 124

Calvin27

Eats Squid
My goals this 'revised' to getting back on the bike after breaking a collarbone and two ribs.

Next year I aim to do:
- 30 MTB rides (harder than it seems because you only get 52 weekends!)
- Avoid injury time off the bike.

Too old for this crap and just want to enjoy trails without dying.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not enough MTB for me this year, most KMs have been on the trainer or road. Currently 6100km. Am at 4.06 W/kg ftp and got best ever (meagre) power across all time durations 5/15/30s, 1/2/5/10/20/60min. Tried fasting (16/8) for 2mths but couldnt sustain lack of food after training at night.

Need to think about goals for 2019. I think targeted riding in other places, proactively staying injury free making do with what I've got. I can say that as my pushys, CRC and wheelsfar orders are in for the year. First kid will be stepping up to a 16in bike soon with half normal geo and crank lengths so will enable a more capable riding buddy too.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not enough MTB for me this year, most KMs have been on the trainer or road. Currently 6100km. Am at 4.06 W/kg ftp and got best ever (meagre) power across all time durations 5/15/30s, 1/2/5/10/20/60min. Tried fasting (16/8) for 2mths but couldnt sustain lack of food after training at night.

Need to think about goals for 2019. I think targeted riding in other places, proactively staying injury free making do with what I've got. I can say that as my pushys, CRC and wheelsfar orders are in for the year. First kid will be stepping up to a 16in bike soon with half normal geo and crank lengths so will enable a more capable riding buddy too.
Nice work . I'd been wondering what you'd been up to since finishing your training thread. Diet becomes so hard once you're trying to hit those numbers on a trainer day in day out. I've had to really start thinking about when I want to take in extra carbohydrates and timing etc. When your basal metabolic rate is around 2000 calories and your 1.5hr workout pushes 1200 calories alone you realise you've gotta eat so much more otherwise those workouts feel so much harder.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Wow youse dudes are way too techinogical... fuck that. I just ride 3 to 4 times every week... as much singletrack as possible. I’ve got a trainer, but that’s for weather disasters and such. I’m all about having as much fun as possible, as often as possible, in the bush, without crashing. These days I care less about fast and furious, and more about being able to keep on keeping on. Ride on.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Goal was 6000km and 100,000 vert.

Sitting on:
6,337.1 km
307h 29m
94,812 m vert
299 rides

Pretty happy with the year overall despite falling a bit short on elevation.
Years not over you lazy sod. :p

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Wow youse dudes are way too techinogical... fuck that. I just ride 3 to 4 times every week... as much singletrack as possible. I’ve got a trainer, but that’s for weather disasters and such. I’m all about having as much fun as possible, as often as possible, in the bush, without crashing. These days I care less about fast and furious, and more about being able to keep on keeping on. Ride on.
Pretty much this. But I really envy those that can get out for a ride mid week.In peak summer when sunset is 8.30 and beyond,I might have a shot at 2 MTB rides a week, otherwise it's mostly commuting miles. I've been tossing up riding a SS mtb to work for beast factor though, launching off speed bumps is still MTBing, no?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Finishing off in Victorian High country so if I skip the shuttles still a chance of making the elevation goal :p
That's the spirit!! And if I get my stick wrecked wheel back today I too shall endeavour to clock up a few more kms too!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Pretty much this. But I really envy those that can get out for a ride mid week.In peak summer when sunset is 8.30 and beyond,I might have a shot at 2 MTB rides a week, otherwise it's mostly commuting miles. I've been tossing up riding a SS mtb to work for beast factor though, launching off speed bumps is still MTBing, no?
Half of my commute to work is on dirt, but, fark it, I still count the part that is paved when I do my stats!!