The "I will ride _____km in 2024" thread - commit and conquer here!!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Calvin27, doesn't matter what bike you're on, all riding can be hard or easy depending on where you go and how hard you push it.
Yeah but when you have a km target, 50km on flat beach road is not even close to 20km on singletrack. Even if you go all out.

Personally I found trying to hit km target too obstructive to MTB riding and had to apply a 2x factor for mtb. Otherwise the target would always be back of mind and I'd always go for road rides to make the kms. Kind of killed it for me actually.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Aimed for 2k last year, got about 1400km. This year same goal, currently on track for about 4k km. Most of it is road but at least I'm riding!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah but when you have a km target, 50km on flat beach road is not even close to 20km on singletrack. Even if you go all out.

Personally I found trying to hit km target too obstructive to MTB riding and had to apply a 2x factor for mtb. Otherwise the target would always be back of mind and I'd always go for road rides to make the kms. Kind of killed it for me actually.
I commute a lot but a lot of it is on dirt. When I'm lagging on my target it gets me riding the long way home (more trails) and doing more on weekends (morer trails).

Agree though, MTB is much harder than road K's.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
As of May, I am giving up on targets for 2017... I want to ride to the roadie, but a sum total of 40kms in the last week since last fucking October (poor thing gathered a lot of lot dust....) means I am an exclusive MTB rider for a while. My hip still doesn't like the roadie position since the surgery, but the MTB seems ok.

Annoying. I have a trip to Hobart (tickets to Mogwai) for early June and I wanted to climb Mt Wellington on the roadie. 1100 metres over 27kms its a fucking great ride. Sigh. Oh well, the Anthem and North South Track it is and those new trails on the north shore I've not ridden yet.

My goal for 2017 - be able to ride what I want when I want with too much pain as a result. Getting old is not for pussies...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
This time last year, I was about 1000km ahead of my 10500km goal, not so flash on this year's 10k.

Got an issue with my foot/knee but all good at the moment, plans are through for the new house so this one is coming down. Had a total of 8 weeks away on holiday since Dec with a few rides while there, but not on the gas. Also smashing the OT to pay for the new place and err options (My bikes)

Only 130km behind pace but would prefer to be a few hundy in front.

3349 km
39749 VM
156 hrs

Attachments

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree and disagree with this. I can see how mtb could be sacrificed if you were so focused on the numbers that you chose whatever was easiest to jump on and ride, prob more likely to be road bike or trainer.

But in saying that, from my limited experience which admittedly excludes any mtb racing, this year I've used the trainer to do a few short 10 & 30/40km races each week on zwift, and they are significantly 'tougher' than any mtb ride I can recall of the same distance or duration as the race. The 10km sprints are actually the worst, you know it's possible to push beyond threshold over the shorter distance, so you do, then sprint the last few km to race someone to the finish, then fall off the bike in exhaustion. Going for an mtb ride is relaxing in comparison, but might also be because trails have been bulldozed in SE Qld so they are effectively bike paths between trees.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It's also about access too though. Going for a road ride can be done from straight out of your driveway but riding trails usually requires packing the car and driving somewhere, etc. I know that when I lived within a stone's throw of great trails not only were 85% of my rides on dirt but 75% of my dirt rides were on the closest trails.

It also meant that I lived in this town for 2 years before I even considered looking further afield than my local!

ozzybmx

There's no doubt that different styles of riding are harder, when training for the Simpson race, I was doing lots of flat fatbike beach rides on soft sand. 8kph average speed while roadies flew past on the esplanade doing 40kph on flat tarmac, clocking the same zero elevation.

My MTB rides would only be approximately ~25% of my years distance, CX is about ~25% with rest being road and commutes.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I will ride fuck all kms in 2017. I got complacent and thought it was all healing ahead of schedule and got slack on the exercises... Doh. Muchos Ouchies and a month or two set back I reckon.

ozzybmx

Well, after not doing anything to my house for a couple of years as we were going to knock it down and build "her" dream home, the rip off cost of dealing with greedy builders and their provisional sums... we gave up.

Then I put a 5 week deadline on getting my house ready for sale and during that time, bought another. Been the busiest I have have ever been working on the place, so for the first time in many years, riding took a back seat.

I have just got the first load of my family's collective 17 bikes out of the storage unit and am slowly trying to get back to normality. Got a good bit of stuff to do to the new place too.

Now not sat my ass on a saddle for over a month and that was a commute to work and the Melrose Fat Tyre Festival, also had a week and a half's drought before that.

Was expecting the house rebuild to hit my cycling, didn't realise that other things in life can take up so much time.

Its pissing down here in SA at the moment, Friday is looking good to get the kids out too !

1445km behind target now and no chance of making that up now, nearly made 12,000 the last few years, dropped to 10k due to the above... will be lucky to make 8k in 2017.

I now live 320m above sea level so my commute just got a little bit harder too !

Roll on Friday, its ride day.

Attachments

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't remember what my km goal was for this year but I bet I'd be well behind, my work timetable is all over the shop and I get sent away with little notice, can't remember when I've had a full week at home!

I just ticked over 1,000 km for the year this morning. The majority of rides are generally short - 15 km return commute to the office (when I'm home) and typically only will do 15 km or so on the MTB in a session. My goal is just to beat the weekly average which is about 45 km a week.

Most of all I'm having fun on my bike and that's all that matters!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i can't rmember my km goal or eveb if i had one -i would have liked to reach 100k elevation, don't think ill be hitting that without an everestig or 2, currently betw. 46-48000 elevation. all dirt km's though [only road i ride is between dirt section] with the recent rain i am doing more cx/gravel riding & less mtb

OTH Dave

Likes Bikes
Set my goal for the year at 1500 klm of dirt only.
So far not looking good and am sitting at 433.
A combination of being so hot in Brissy in Jan to March and then having to get the house finished to put on the market has really eaten into any available time to ride.
I have entered a 50k XC event in 8 weeks and am feeling a bit worried about being able to be fit enough.
Time to pull the proverbial finger out and start to get fit again. Have a feeling it's going to hurt.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
I've completed more k's so far this year than I did in all of last year. Completed my first mtb event. Completed a 100mile road ride. I'm pretty happy with that effort. Just gotta keep it up now.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

Good work guys, accomplishing any more Km's than last year is a WIN !

Sometimes shit in life holds you back, hoping my missus once again get's to tell her friends what I do... Billy rides a bike ! She... makes me brekky in bed.

Inside the final quarter, I'm 2300kms with a target of 3,000.

This is more than I've ever ridden since getting back to it so whatever happens its been a good year, but I'll get the 3000.